Dissapointed in Remington

Its pretty simple. If you dont want the low end rifle, then buy the higher end one. Just because the $300 783 is not a top notch rifle, doesnt mean my 700 isnt.

That's pretty much it.  You can't expect a Mercedes for the price of a Kia.  I think the cheap guns will kill a deer as dead as it needs to be, but you will not be getting it done with a gun that will win prizes for beauty.  If you want something more fancy and smooth, you got to cough up some more money, period.

• Like 2

Take a good look at the country of origin. Remington is no different than any other company out there offering a lower end, more affordable, made in a foreign country product. The consumer has to do their homework prior to purchase and decide if the product meets their need.

Which Remington gun is made in a foreign country?  I thought they are still manufactured in the US.  I know they imported a few guns from Russia a few years back, but I don't think they do any more.  I don't know any guns being manufactured in China that are being sold by top American manufacturers?  Browning, Weatherby and Howa makes some in Japan, but none of those can be considered poor quality either.  Winchester may have some made in Turkey, but in general most of the guns are still manufactured here.

It has a crooked cantilever barrel? I am also glad that you got a good 770 and made it work... for same price though the 783 is much better option now which was most likely not available at the time. 

Yes, the actual mount that is brazed? onto the barrel is crooked. I tried to boresight the gun and the recticles were so off it wasn't right. So I just deal with it. I think I might give remington a call but I bought it 2 years ago.

Yeah I don't think it was one of the first 770s, but I did buy it in late 2009.

Take a good look at the country of origin. Remington is no different than any other company out there offering a lower end, more affordable, made in a foreign country product. The consumer has to do their homework prior to purchase and decide if the product meets their need.

My 770 says Ilion N.Y.

Edited by chas0218

I don't want to sound like a Remington hater because I have some that I love such as the "7600" in my name and my 700's model 7's my 870's and 1100's but the last 3 new Remingtons I have bought all went back to Remington more than once and only 1 is fixed to this day. I had a 750 in 35whelen that will not feed a versa max that will not eject and a 887 that shot when you closed the slide. The 887 is the only one that was fixed because after the second trip back to union they sent my gun shop a new gun for me.The 750 my gun shop gave me full store credit on because after 3 trips to union it was never resolved and the versamax will only shoot heavy loads and is ok because it's a turkey gun but still an expensive gun to only be able to shoot heavy loads out of.

When I bought the gun the action wouldn't close all the way not allowing the gun to fire. So I called remington and they said no problem they fixed it. Took about 3 months only 2 months longer than they said it was going to take, but they fixed it. I have 3 remingtons and the older the gun the better the quality it seems. 

With that being said I have never seen/shot a savage or ruger that I liked. Ruger's bolt doesn't have enough offset to allow for larger scopes. The savages "accu-trigger" is a way to have a crap trigger and make it sound like a good idea. Anything I have shot that has trigger travel makes for a less accurate shot. Maybe if you are scared of your gun and you flinch it would work but I don't have that problem. I want a trigger that breaks like glass.

Call me weird, but if you do a little research people do trigger jobs on guns to remove the pre and post travel of triggers.

My Tikka, Fathers 700 SPS and buddys 700 BDL all have great triggers and adjustable.

I can't comment on other brands like Winchester, or Mossberg. The Thompson Center is nice now that Smith and Wesson bought them and resolved the bolt issues.

The savages "accu-trigger" is a way to have a crap trigger and make it sound like a good idea. Anything I have shot that has trigger travel makes for a less accurate shot. Maybe if you are scared of your gun and you flinch it would work but I don't have that problem. I want a trigger that breaks like glass.

Call me weird, but if you do a little research people do trigger jobs on guns to remove the pre and post travel of triggers.

My Tikka, Fathers 700 SPS and buddys 700 BDL all have great triggers and adjustable.

And I would dare anyone to try some rapid fire shooting with the "accu-trigger" in hunting field shooting stances in comparison to a good, crisp traditional style trigger.  It's NO contest.  Not that one needs to make such shots often, but if you do, having that travel of that middle trigger blade before the gun goes off will screw up your accurate shot placement for sure!!

• Like 1

And I would dare anyone to try some rapid fire shooting with the "accu-trigger" in hunting field shooting stances in comparison to a good, crisp traditional style trigger.  It's NO contest.  Not that one needs to make such shots often, but if you do, having that travel of that middle trigger blade before the gun goes off will screw up your accurate shot placement for sure!!

I have an accu trigger on a savage my Dad bought in 22 mag. accurate gun but I don't like the feel of the trigger.

It's a consumer-driven market and a throw-away world.

The average hunter probably shoots 5 rounds a year and doesn't care about quality as long as it goes bang.

i agree that most hunters probably shoot 5 or less, but I dont think anyone ever disregards quality for almost anything. I do find it funny when people buy the cheapest of something and get upset when it breaks. But most gun owners I know would never trust a firearm they couldn't rely on, regardless of price. So as a consumer I'd expect a more expensive gun to hold up better to rough treatment and shoot straighter, but I'd still expect any firearm I buy to shoot straight and go bang as long as i take care of it.

• Like 1

I don't own any AccuTrigger rifles but my 220 has the AccuTrigger and I like it. Most of my Savages are older. My 116 in .300 Win Mag shoots half inch groups at 100 yards consistently. The majority of the Savages I have are old 775A 12 gauge, 1932 Model 99 takedown with .410 and .300 Savage barrels and a 1963 model 110 in .270 that shoots better than 3/4s of an inch at 100 consistently.

One of my buddies just picked up an Axis so I'll see how that gun is after I shoot it.

Any gun out there you are bound to get a lemon.....yes even Kimbers and Weatherby's....Had to!!!!LOL Anyways,when it comes to manufacturing when the guy running the mill/lathe is having a bad day....you know like the wife put her cold feet on him at 2AM and he couldn't get back to sleep or the free coffee sucks ass in the break room or the girl working next to the guy assembling parts to manufacture your $300 or $3000 dollar rifle is flirting with him and making him a bit rambunctious because she is....well GIFTED!!!!you may or may not get something you want to own.It happens in every manufacturing process in every plant that makes products,therefor anyone who has never made a mistake in there job please stand up and tell us the way of the world.Past that inexpensive rifles are a great thing!!!!They get people in the woods and yes they can and do kill critters every day!!! I for one accept that you will get a lemon here and there and it does suck bad when you're the lucky lottery winner and get the turd!!!By the way I own quite a few higher end rifles and I was seriously impressed with my friends Ruger American,I will own one it 223 very soon...happy hunting!!!

• Like 1

Any gun out there you are bound to get a lemon.....yes even Kimbers and Weatherby's....Had to!!!!LOL Anyways,when it comes to manufacturing when the guy running the mill/lathe is having a bad day....you know like the wife put her cold feet on him at 2AM and he couldn't get back to sleep or the free coffee sucks ass in the break room or the girl working next to the guy assembling parts to manufacture your $300 or $3000 dollar rifle is flirting with him and making him a bit rambunctious because she is....well GIFTED!!!!you may or may not get something you want to own.It happens in every manufacturing process in every plant that makes products,therefor anyone who has never made a mistake in there job please stand up and tell us the way of the world.Past that inexpensive rifles are a great thing!!!!They get people in the woods and yes they can and do kill critters every day!!! I for one accept that you will get a lemon here and there and it does suck bad when you're the lucky lottery winner and get the turd!!!By the way I own quite a few higher end rifles and I was seriously impressed with my friends Ruger American,I will own one it 223 very soon...happy hunting!!!

I agree 100 percent and that is why I feel customer service after the purchase is as important as the product purchased.
  • Like 2

A couple years back i bought a 700 heavy barrel in 22 -25.....Gun would not shoot a small group no matter what i put in it...Called Remington and they sent me a box and label to mail the gun back to them....A month later the gun was back and shoots dime size groups. There service was great....I have no complaints...

I agree 100 percent and that is why I feel customer service after the purchase is as important as the product purchased.

I absolutely agree,if CS sucks after the fact then thats bad.I know 4 or 5 people that have sent back rifle to Remington over the past 20ish years.All were happy afterwords

The 5 times I have had firearms sent back to Remington with 3 different guns it. 1 was painless within 2 weeks they contacted me on what dealer they would like me to send my new gun to the other 4 were long with little to no communication and never resolved. I buy a lot of guns and have had to send back to other companies my best experience with a gun company was Rossi they were very upfront about their backlog and warned me of a long wait time and I had the gun back in 3 weeks and it was fixed with a long hand written description of how it was fixed and an apology for the inconvenience. Cva would be a close second.

I have never had to send a gun back. Once I had to take a gun back before even firing it. It was a Winchester Semi 12 and when I got it home and opened the box the stock was broken. Took it back and got an exchange the next day. I have only bought 4 guns brand new, and two were Remington's, and had no problems. That was back in the early 90's though. So if they are falling off I have no clue.

Most of my guns have been bought used. The two I own now were used.

I will add that the Mossberg 500 Field/Deer Combo my g/f bought from Dicks a few years ago wasn't on par with the Mossy 500's I have owned in the past. The fore stock/slide was loose and rattled, and when I tried to put the scope on the cantilever slug barrel one of the rings broke, and the scope was a POS. I bought her new rings, and we planned to replace the scope if she liked hunting. She didn't. Found that out with one day of just walking in the woods trying to teach her a few things. She won't be able to kill a deer. I thought about having her just transfer the gun to me, but I hated the way the gun felt. I also didn't like that stupid exchangeable cheek-pad. The whole thing just felt cheap. So she sold it to a local gun store. Yep, I know, I know.

As for 'bargain' guns, my shotgun and rifle are from lesser known companies, and as I said, I bought them both used. I am very happy with both. I personally do not concern myself with the name on a product most times anymore. I concern myself with how it performs and handles. I have my brands I think are better then any other, just like anyone else. But, when you have a tight budget, you get limited choices. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a new 870 cantilever a few years ago. Black matte finish on barrel rusts if I look at it crosseyed. It also threw the extractor claw. Doubting more than 50 rounds thru it.

I have a Crossman pump pellet pistol I've had for 35 years. Solid gun. Buddy bought the "new" version of the same thing for his son. POS, all plastic and took it back

Paid a good deal of scoot for my SPT 1187 and never had a problem with it.

Seems like you get what you pay for these days

Apparently the 783 is a tack driver and I came very, very close to spending $250 on one. $250 for a big game caliber rifle with really nice accuracy is a crazy price and that includes a scope. 

The scope is a banner the lowest end bushnell. They aren't complete junk but I would replace with higher quality glass I did that on the wifes 770. I have been looking at those 783s but for a couple hundred more I could have the 700 sps. My next rifle I think will be another tikka or howa 1500. Tikka uses the Sako barrel and howa 1500 action. They are a silky smooth action I feel they are smoother than my father's and my friends 700 bdl. 

I'm not sure what remington has done differently since the 90s but I feel the best quality remington firearms were produced prior to 1990ish.

• Like 1

The scope is a banner the lowest end bushnell. They aren't complete junk but I would replace with higher quality glass I did that on the wifes 770. I have been looking at those 783s but for a couple hundred more I could have the 700 sps. My next rifle I think will be another tikka or howa 1500. Tikka uses the Sako barrel and howa 1500 action. They are a silky smooth action I feel they are smoother than my father's and my friends 700 bdl. 

I'm not sure what remington has done differently since the 90s but I feel the best quality remington firearms were produced prior to 1990ish.

Maybe sell the 770? I had a bunch of GCs and looked at it because Walmart also was selling it sub $300 but people online appear to just hate it, whereas the 783 is reported as rough but ultimately very accurate.

Part of the problem with anything is that when you're used to class it's hard to go back to entry level. I think a 783 would be great for me because I have no idea how much nicer a $600 rifle would be! Same reason I love my $300-350 bow and don't need a $1000 one.

• Like 1

Maybe sell the 770? I had a bunch of GCs and looked at it because Walmart also was selling it sub $300 but people online appear to just hate it, whereas the 783 is reported as rough but ultimately very accurate.

Part of the problem with anything is that when you're used to class it's hard to go back to entry level. I think a 783 would be great for me because I have no idea how much nicer a $600 rifle would be! Same reason I love my $300-350 bow and don't need a $1000 one.

If I was in the market for an "entry" rifle it would be the ruger american or a CVA hunter. The cva hunter being my first choice. The finish on the remingtons are aweful and will rust from the humidity in your house let alone hunting with it in rain and snow. The bushnell banner scopes are basically junk. You can get away with a junk scope with see through mounts and iron sights but the lack of sights on all these rifles make that impossible. Trust me from experience nothing ruins a season like having the buck you want In front of you and not be able to see it through your scope. If budget is your ultimate factor than you just get what you can afford but sometimes spending an extra hundred can save you hundreds.
  • Like 1