Pheasant hunters

jesse.james

Mr/Ms. Pheasant hunters,

I'm sorry if I offend some of you but you do realize there are other seasons open during pheasant season right? So loud. Always hunting in groups just bsing as you walk around talking at the top of your lungs right after first light or just before dark. Just had 4 of you together. Heard you all several hundred yards off. You stopped not 40 yards from where I'm bow hunting and decided to talk for 5 minutes. I know it's state land and you have a right to be there but be a bit more conciderate. How would you like it if I brought my dog and walked in front of you flushing birds without any intent to shoot.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Bow Hunter

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I pheasant hunt and have never ran into a bow hunter before. I've only seen people pheasant hunting in fields and maybe field edges. But I've never seen anybody ever going to Deepwoods to find pheasants. Would be odd to see people going into Deepwoods searching for pheasants. How deep into the woods where these pheasant hunters?

Many seasons over lap and we all need to prepare for it. If your scouting/hunting in an area where Pheasants are released and plan on bow hunting do your homework. I bow hunt and Pheasant hunt both. If your on State land with a release program your going to see bird hunters. Now when I bird hunt those areas I head out later on the weekends to give bow hunters there time.

I pheasant hunt and have never ran into a bow hunter before. I've only seen people pheasant hunting in fields and maybe field edges. But I've never seen anybody ever going to Deepwoods to find pheasants. Would be odd to see people going into Deepwoods searching for pheasants. How deep into the woods where these pheasant hunters?

So maybe to both of you, they didn't see you.  Bow hunters work hard at being invisible.

Jaeger. I was kind of alluding to the point of if you know you're in a place where they stock pheasants why would you be hunting on a field edge? You know that people are going to be out there with their dogs. People aren't pheasant hunting in the middle of the woods. I deer hunt as well. So if I'm at a state land where they release pheasants I would not sit up on the field edge. I don't think I own the woods so I cant get mad at somebody for hunting. I actually think you could use that to your advantage. If you know where people are coming from with the dogs if you set up in the right spot you have pretty much a free dear Drive. Lol

Edited by diplomat019
  • Like 2

And it's not a disrespect to people who are bow hunting and are working hard to be invisible. I get it. But when you're on state land it is what it is. There's no other way around it. And I can't imagine any Hunter being purposely disrespectful to another hunter in the woods. I can guarantee that if those guys who are pheasant hunting knew you were there I'm sure they would went the other way. In the end we are all in the same boat together doing the same thing we love to do.

• Like 2

They've been hitting it hard in Darien ... I can relate!!! And why the fricken cow bell on the collar as he runs all over creation ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As camo and bow's are tools use for deer, Bells are used for Dogs & Bird Hunters. Bells can be for a couple reasons, my reasons: Location of dog, dog on point Bell Stops, Different Bell tones can be heard at different distance's and on windy days, Some carry better than others. Beeper Collars are the Same Idea. My dog hunts Hard and ranges out a bit, I use a Bell & GPS on him. If I can't hear the Bell the GPS lets me Know if he is on Point by a tone. You know Guys that hunt should respect each other and the area where they hunt, and stick together. We know season's over Lap so be Mindful of that when you head out. With that being Said, do your HOMEWORK on the area your hunting. If I Bow Hunt a Pheasant release site I expect to Hear Dog Bells and See other people enjoying the hunt JMO.

Edited by Huntscreek

I was 40 yards off the field. All the time I get guys blabbing on their phones or tree talking it up with there buddies. I definitely understand the need to share our public lands. Some of the pheasant hunters I've never has a probkem. Others use it as social hour.

I was 40 yards off the field. All the time I get guys blabbing on their phones or tree talking it up with there buddies. I definitely understand the need to share our public lands. Some of the pheasant hunters I've never has a probkem. Others use it as social hour.

Sounds like you need to find a hunting spot

• Like 1

I'm more of a grouse hunter than a pheasant hunter and I run a beeper on my dog because when she's hunting in the thick cover I can rarely see her. It also changes tone when she's on point. When I grouse hunt on state land, I try to hunt from 11-2 so I don't bother the bow hunters (Seeing as I bow hunt really hard and I like my peace and quiet in the stand as well), but will go a little earlier or stay later if I'm having a lot of action. I also try not to hunt an area if I see another car parked. I will occasionally hunt the afternoon until dark if I decide to run my dog after work. Unfortunately on state land everyone has the right to enjoy it, and all the money and time we invest in our bird dogs, we deserve to hunt too and we owe it to the dog(s) to get them out as much as possible.

I have talked to some other bird hunters and I have heard them say more than once "we don't bother the deer when we hunt". I'm not sure if I agree with that but some of these guys bird hunt exclusively and they might not understand things from the bow hunters point of view. Either way, it's just one of those things to be expected on state land.

Edited by Chris B

I hunt both archery and pheasant with my GSP. If you want to archery hunt where pheasants have been released. ...well that's not the best approach. There's a lot of State land that doesn't have pheasant release areas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think I would make myself too invisible if they were pheasant hunting I would be wearing some orange. I have heard horror stories in Middlesex where people peppered trees with bow hunters in them because they were full camo and they couldn't see them. Wear an orange hat or something or you might not be lucky to have them talking at the base of your tree.

Mr/Ms. Pheasant hunters,

I'm sorry if I offend some of you but you do realize there are other seasons open during pheasant season right? So loud. Always hunting in groups just bsing as you walk around talking at the top of your lungs right after first light or just before dark. Just had 4 of you together. Heard you all several hundred yards off. You stopped not 40 yards from where I'm bow hunting and decided to talk for 5 minutes. I know it's state land and you have a right to be there but be a bit more conciderate. How would you like it if I brought my dog and walked in front of you flushing birds without any intent to shoot.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Bow Hunter

This is a joke right?

• Like 4

40 yards off the field edge is nothing.  The birds fly out of the fields and into the woods.  The hunters are going to go after them.  When I bow hunt where pheasant hunters will be, I hunt where the deer go when the hunters show up.

You are simply bow hunting in the wrong place friend.

• Like 1

Are the bucks where you are when there are pheasant hunters in the field?  No?  Maybe you should hunt where they are then.

The bucks are there when the pheasant hunters are there?  Then I don't get your complaint.

Edited by Mr VJP

The "social hour" as you describe it, is one of the reasons I love pheasant hunting. Besides working and being with my dog, I can carry on a reasonable conversation with my hunting partners without worrying about spooking the birds. I'll know when a bird is nearby when my dog goes on point! Deer hunting requires you to be still and quiet, bird hunting does not.

• Like 3

If I can hear your conversation 75 yards away it isn't reasonable. Neither is talking on your phone loudly.

Pheasant hunters do those things.  It doesn't hinder their bird hunting.  I can't believe you expect them to even know you're there if you don't let them know you're there.  It's up to you to make them aware of your presence some how.  Maybe if they knew you were bowhunting nearby, they would take that into consideration.  I always do when I'm bird hunting and I see a bowhunter.  But many wait until I'm within 10 yards and then get upset.  That's not smart.

• Like 1