peep sight

Red

this morning.I decided to go and do a short hunt in. east aurora I had things to do at 11 so I was going to sit until 10

I got into my stand at 550 at 620 I have a deer right behind me making all kinds of noise 10 minutes later it walks out at 30 yrds and tasks the trail out of the area to dark out to tell what it was a little while later I hit my grunt tube twice and with in.15 seconds I have 2 deer in front of me both are bucks but im not looking at tge racks the second bucks body was much bigger so I focus on his body while he's sniffing my scent rag at 12 yrds away broadside I draw my bow back but can't see my peep is twisted I let down twist my.peep draw again still can't see wtf I let down again twist it draw still can't see threw the peep so this time I put my eye on the string next to the peep put my 20yrd pin behind his shoulder and hear that amazing sound after the release and with in seconds I hear him crash.

I sat for 45 minutes when I realized I could actually see my buck laying dead 50yrds from my.stand. my wife and kids are very excited to have some venison going.into the freezer.

• Like 6

Congrats on your deer . Did your son wonder why the deer didn't get up ?

thank you

luckily he didn't ask why it didn't get up but even at 2 he kind of knows its dead when ever he sees me slipping on any.kind of camo or cleaning a gun he starts yelling daddys going hunting daddys gonna shoot a buck. he loves shooting my mind with his little nerf gun.

I can't wait until him and my 6yr old are old enough to hunt and come to hunting camp

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

this morning.I decided to go and do a short hunt in. east aurora I had things to do at 11 so I was going to sit until 10

I got into my stand at 550 at 620 I have a deer right behind me making all kinds of noise 10 minutes later it walks out at 30 yrds and tasks the trail out of the area to dark out to tell what it was a little while later I hit my grunt tube twice and with in.15 seconds I have 2 deer in front of me both are bucks but im not looking at tge racks the second bucks body was much bigger so I focus on his body while he's sniffing my scent rag at 12 yrds away broadside I draw my bow back but can't see my peep is twisted I let down twist my.peep draw again still can't see wtf I let down again twist it draw still can't see threw the peep so this time I put my eye on the string next to the peep put my 20yrd pin behind his shoulder and hear that amazing sound after the release and with in seconds I hear him crash.

I sat for 45 minutes when I realized I could actually see my buck laying dead 50yrds from my.stand. my wife and kids are very excited to have some venison going.into the freezer

That is just terrible re peep. I am new to archery but inside of two months on my fourth peep. A lot of people swear by custom strings, but even with those I know peep twist can be a problem, so i went against the grain of modern archery (a lot of people think peep tubes shouldn't be bothered with now) and went back to the tube. I'm shooting nicely with it. The tube could of course snap in the field, though :(

• Like 1

Congrats. Nice buck and way to improvise. Good strings should not twist. Old strings may start to stretch. I have had good experiences with 60x strings.

thank you. I was looking at the 60x string about a month before last season I didn't plan on getting a new string but I found one of the strands on my old string was broke so I ran to the local shop up the street and he said he would make new string and cabrls and install them I could pick up the bow in 3 days.

I picked up the bow loved the look.of the new string and cables I took it home and shot hundreds of arrows that week I adjusted the peep for a little twist that happened I figured I should be good note that dam string twists so much its crazy it does atleast a 90° twist each time after its out into a press. I've had my buddies put it in their press and the shop and the same thing keeps happening. next year ill give the 60x a try I've heard great things about their product

if the string is that bad I would also replace the cable or cables too with the same as the string.  a good one shouldn't stretch or rotate much at all after a handful of shots.  some single cam bows with asymmetric wheels on top will get rotation with a new good string but it will be consistent every time and come to alignment at full draw.  sometimes after a string settles you have to twist the string once or flip the loops at both ends to spin the whole thing around.  I don't have any problems with tubeless peeps on any of my bows shooting all year long.

• Like 1

if the string is that bad I would also reYT?place the cable or cables too with the same as the string. a good one shouldn't stretch or rotate much at all after a handful of shots. some single cam bows with asymmetric wheels on top will get rotation with a new good string but it will be consistent every time and come to alignment at full draw. sometimes after a string settles you have to twist the string once or flip the loops at both ends to spin the whole thing around. I don't have any problems with tubeless peeps on any of my bows shooting all year long.

I agree the string shouldn't be twisting like this it was definitely poorly made the serving job on the string and cables were also done poorly I noticedthe serving coming loose after only a month or two of shooting I haven't had serving problems in years since ive switched to using a string loop. ill definitely be replacing the string and cables after hunting season is over

thank you guys. I love how the kids react when I come home with a deer the excitement and cheering that they do is awesome. they all love getting to touch the deer and get pics with it then its off to the butcher.

I need to get a hitch and a deer cart next year I can't get the deer up on the roof of the vehicle anymore. ill tell you I tried with all my might I.looked like Tom Green from Freddy got fingered I had the front legs over my shoulders and tried to toss it up then I had the front legs in my left hand and the bag Jeff in my right with the deers body over my shoulders and and still.couldn't get the deer.up there so I said screw it and tossed it in the trunk my kids got a kick out of that when I pulled up to the house

I had the same problems and went to a timberline no-peep .  Mine is the old ring on the ball float style, but they make a bunch of different kinds now.  Nothing on the string, and makes sure you're not torquing the bow when you shoot.  Helped make me a more consistent shooter  Had expensive strings twist, peeps move, peeps freeze solid with snow and ice, tubes break, or hit the quiver and spook everything (including me) A no-peep attaches by your site and stays put.

I'll never use a peep again

I had the same problems and went to a timberline no-peep .  Mine is the old ring on the ball float style, but they make a bunch of different kinds now.  Nothing on the string, and makes sure you're not torquing the bow when you shoot.  Helped make me a more consistent shooter  Had expensive strings twist, peeps move, peeps freeze solid with snow and ice, tubes break, or hit the quiver and spook everything (including me) A no-peep attaches by your site and stays put.

I strongly considered a no-peep setup recently. The fact they can detect torquing is fairly cool, but they shorten the sight radius, though probably not enough to matter at hunting ranges.

I had some people recommend new strings when I had peep twist issues, but ultimately I didn't see the need to replace an otherwise perfectly functional string at the cost of $70+ just because I refused to peep tube it, so I went the $7 route instead :) And although great stings can fix this issue, they don't guarantee it will be fixed. A peep tube does guarantee it (at least until/unless it breaks).

I strongly considered a no-peep setup recently. The fact they can detect torquing is fairly cool, but they shorten the sight radius, though probably not enough to matter at hunting ranges.

Not sure how the peep eliminators could do this?  At least mine doesn't.  Since you don't look through anything, just check the floats / levels/ etc on the sight platform, I think you get better sight visibility using an eliminator.  Not using a peep, your eye gets all the light, not just what makes it through the peep, and as they improve form, you actually will be more consistent at longer ranges.  I routinely practice out to 70 yds over the summer quite easily, which makes those 25 yd shots look like a slam dunk. 

Maybe I misunderstood you?  What model/type had that issue, just for reference?

I had the same problems and went to a timberline no-peep . Mine is the old ring on the ball float style, but they make a bunch of different kinds now. Nothing on the string, and makes sure you're not torquing the bow when you shoot. Helped make me a more consistent shooter Had expensive strings twist, peeps move, peeps freeze solid with snow and ice, tubes break, or hit the quiver and spook everything (including me) A no-peep attaches by your site and stays put.

These are interesting but seem to be a little too much for me. As I said earlier in the post I ditched a peep nearly 10 years ago and will NEVER go back to one. At hunting ranges I do not feel handicapped at all. I hunt Ohio and NC where I can legally shoot 30 min prior and after sunrise and sunset so I have no issues with not being able to see my sight or my target in low light.

Edited by Buckmaster7600