Cutting branches.

YFKI1983

Putting in my last 3 days of bowhunting before gun opens. I wanted to cut a few branches about 50-75 yards away from stand to open up another lane or 2 for gun season.

Is Monday, 5 days before opener too late to trim a branch or 2? I wanted to do it Halloween weekend but forgot my hatchet

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I don't see a problem at all, I've trimmed branches a day or two before killing a deer out of a stand. I usually wear rubber gloves while doing so to limit the amount of scent spread around as I do when hanging a last minute stand, but not really sure that's even needed.

It will be interesting what other members will have for info on this. I have personally seen it go both ways. I have trimmed up shooting lanes in great hunting locations late in the season and had the deer avoid the area completely even when it was done as scent free as I could be and only cutting what was absolutely necessary. I have also been out cutting shooting lanes with a chainsaw and had deer make tracks in the mud that evening and the deer use the area as though nothing had changed. I guess if I had to choose which way to go it would be to NOT cut anything just before you want to hunt that spot. But this time of year there are more non resident deer moving through your hunting areas so maybe they aren't as likely to be alarmed by changes in physical habitat. Good hunting to you this season!

Where I hunt it won't make one bit of differance , I hunt a large farm each time I come down something changed . Oh look they cut a few hundred acres of corn, oh look they plowed up that piece , oh look the farmer used his backhoe to push back 20 yards of brush for 300 yards along the sanctuary .

Oh look he brush hogged half the bedding field.....

I just used my leaf blower to make 200 yard long trails to stands, put up new ladder stands , dropped trees with my chain saw, I'm not one bit worried .

Heck I'm thrilled !

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I don't think it's a problem but someone mentioned it might be so thought I'd ask. Just talking twigs or branches, not dropping trees or anything.

FYI.....on WMA's it's unlawful to "remove , cut or willfully damage or destroy living vegetation of any kind". I wonder how many "righteous" hunters who chastised jmg343 are guilty of this ?

Putting in my last 3 days of bowhunting before gun opens. I wanted to cut a few branches about 50-75 yards away from stand to open up another lane or 2 for gun season.

Is Monday, 5 days before opener too late to trim a branch or 2? I wanted to do it Halloween weekend but forgot my hatchet

Honestly do it in the rain or just before it. All your scent will get washed away before the deer get into the area. I have cut branches during the day just after my morning hunt and have killed some nice deer. Last year I hung a stand after my morning hunt cleared lanes in my t shirt and jeans sat there that evening and killed deer. The deer in the photo was just that scenario, early bow in the northern zone. I was also hunting in the clothes you see nothing more.

20140927_202852_zpsxjs9h6xu.jpg

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1