Really?

nodeerhere

Many years ago when we lived in Avon and hunting was Monday morning I left camp to the guys for the weekend and would drive down to huntlater in the morning...EVERY year there was this line of orange clad guys that were darn near shoulder to shoulder walking across an open field from the road to a wood lot out by where the salt mine is now...I really kind of missed seeing that spectical when things changed...Eddie did you ever see that?

Many years ago when we lived in Avon and hunting was Monday morning I left camp to the guys for the weekend and would drive down to huntlater in the morning...EVERY year there was this line of orange clad guys that were darn near shoulder to shoulder walking across an open field from the road to a wood lot out by where the salt mine is now...I really kind of missed seeing that spectical when things changed...Eddie did you ever see that?

I did a Deer Drive with a bunch of guys on some properties around Logan Road in Groveland years ago . We took turns posting and driving . Had a buck come back on our way while driving . I swing my shotgun up and over and out of the corner of my eye I caught the guy to my left with his shotgun level following the deer as it went between us . My heart sank ! Scared the sha-zit out of me . 

I have only done drives with my 2 sons since then .

Hunted state land in Canasagerous ( sp ) with another guy . We were set up before daylight . Heard a couple vehicles come down the road . They dropped some "mountain Men ) off every few yards . The guys looked like something out of "DELIVERANCE" . When the last guy got dropped off they proceeded to walk a line banging pans . Screwed up our day ! They had to be locals dressed in blue denim pants and jackets . Never went back there again ! 

I cannot imagine guys doing a drive with rifles but there are probably those that would think it is okay . 

It's a different hunting technique, and it can be very effective. I don't understand the issue.

I was happy to be rousted out of bed and tagged as a driver for the family in the 1960's. A day off from school, I helped to fill the freezer, and I'd often drive the truck or tractor to collect both the deer and the men who killed them. Pretty heady stuff for a 10 year old kid.

The family is all dead now, the property is gone, and the tradition is over. The memories I still hold dear.

• Like 1

We did a few drives yesterday during mid day on farms that the farmers need deer taken off the land. Between all of the guys we ended up with 3 or 4 does. Its not my favorite way to hunt, but it works and knocking the deer numbers down is the least we can do for the farmers that graciously allow us on their property to hunt.

After we were done with one of them, we helped a younger guy and his father get the kid's slammer buck out of the woods and up to their truck for them. We stood around and congratulated the kid while the other guy that hunts the place came up and cursed and ranted and raved because the kid shot "his buck" that he had been hunting all year.

But since we were doing drives, I guess we were a bunch of classless jerks.

• Like 3

We did a few drives yesterday during mid day on farms that the farmers need deer taken off the land. Between all of the guys we ended up with 3 or 4 does. Its not my favorite way to hunt, but it works and knocking the deer numbers down is the least we can do for the farmers that graciously allow us on their property to hunt.

After we were done with one of them, we helped a younger guy and his father get the kid's slammer buck out of the woods and up to their truck for them. We stood around and congratulated the kid while the other guy that hunts the place came up and cursed and ranted and raved because the kid shot "his buck" that he had been hunting all year.

But since we were doing drives, I guess we were a bunch of classless jerks.

Personally , I don't care if hunters do drives . I just don't care to do them .

Farmers lose money on their crops due to deer damage . Do the drives . Shoot the deer and make the farmer happy ! 

• Like 1

Look guys I'm not saying drives aren't effective cause I know they are I use to do them. And I'm not even saying not to do them. I'm saying give it a wk until the deer go into hiding. The deer will move normal longer and then the guys that do drives the following week will see more deer. Instead of pushing the deer out of the thicket 10 times a season push them out 2 and there will be more deer in there. And this was not on public land. It was on a property a few over. But must of u wouldn't under stand any way

We have properties we push and others we dont. I understand how it is to hunt each type, and if you are hunting a lightly pressured property properly, the deer dont go into hiding. In fact, set the property u right and you can use the pressure on surrounding properties to your advantage, because the deer head right for your piece when the pressure starts.

• Like 1

First question is, aren't you the person who posted this:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/30314-its-over/

So I guess now you decided to hunt the gun season with a bow? Or are you out there with a shotgun/rifle/ML?

Not every hunter in NY ( or on the planet ) will hunt the same way you do things or how you think things should be done. 

Yep! That's me buddy! I do love bow season. Not a bunch of jokers in the woods! But hey I was just sayin to let the deer move natural for a wk. I guess that's not the way the gun hunters do things! Fine. Maybe the other guy is right and the deer will come to my property! I sure hope that's the case. I've already been in the woods for most of the yr now!