2015 Mock Rub

sampotter

How deep in the ground do you go so they don't push the tree over? Several nice bucks there but that 12 looks like he was a brute

I shoot for 3' +/-. I usually leave 3-4" stubs when I trim branches off the butt end so they dig into the sides almost like barbs. I sunk a lot of fenceposts as a kid- same general idea.

• Like 1

In this case I did put a little Smokey's preorbital gland lure, but in the past I haven't used anything. In fact, I only put the lure on some overhanging branches and not on the rub itself. Location and eye appeal are #1. Once that 1st smaller buck rubbed it and left his scent, it was game on.

• Like 2

That was an awesome video...thanks for posting...was that balsam? cedar?...They do love my wht spruce  here....but I could wrangle up a balsam from the other properties...no cedar around here unless in a yard...

Red cedar, but I've had good luck with balsam, white cedar, spruce, red pine, and hemlock as well. Pretty much any conifer works. They love the combination of soft wood/bark and the strong smell.

• Like 1

Very cool & some nice bucks ! Thanks.  You said the 12 pt. was taken, were you the one? He was a great one.

Unfortunately no. This is the 2nd B&C 12 I've had at that location in 2 years. Both were killed during gun season, neither by me. I may have played a role in getting both of them killed though, so I have been learning to keep my mouth shut until after they are dead. This year I only shared info with my FIL and he was the one that put the guy that ended up killing the buck in the right spot at the right time. My intention was for my FIL to get him.

2014: (me drooling over the mount)

post-50-0-82325100-1452446397_thumb.jpg

2015: (one in the video)

post-50-0-61753000-1452446580_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

why did you dig a hole and put that tree in? could you just rough up a tree that's actually growing out of the ground? was there already a rub on the tree you put in? I gotta try this next season!!! thanks for sharing man!!!

It's all about location. You want the mock rub to be very conspicuous. Doing this in the middle if the woods won't generate much action. Plunk one of these 30 yards out into a cut cornfield or foodplot, bingo! Bucks can't resist when done right. Also, you can choose a tree species they prefer to rub but maybe don't have in the area. I just like messing with the deer.

• Like 2

It's all about location. You want the mock rub to be very conspicuous. Doing this in the middle if the woods won't generate much action. Plunk one of these 30 yards out into a cut cornfield or foodplot, bingo! Bucks can't resist when done right. Also, you can choose a tree species they prefer to rub but maybe don't have in the area. I just like messing with the deer.

Interesting man, thanks for the info. definitely gonna try it out

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

What do you call the tool that you used to dig the hole.  I am familiar with a post hole digger, but never seen one that "corkscrews" like that..  I like it..

I honestly had never seen or used one like that before. I'm used to the old 2 handled deals. When my FIL pulled it out of his shop and handed it to me I was a little skeptical, but once I started using it I realized it was pretty decent. I just looked online and found a place that sells them new. I might have to snag one.

http://www.lewiscontractorsales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T6220&Store_Code=PAL&gdftrk=gdfV26118_a_7c3199_a_7c12391_a_7cT6220

Awesome video! The deer here destroy our cedars and hemlocks every year here in Steuben county.

I did this 2 years ago with one, i set it out 30 yards from a ground blind, and about 20 yards from the edge of the woods, in a clover food plot. I didnt dig deep enough and the first buck that rubbed it ended up knocking it over. And i never put it back up...

I Forgot all about doing this again this year. Hopefully my brain remembers it for next fall.