Damn Doctors

cdmckane

Well, I went in for my DOT physical last week and Dr says my BP is high, cholesterol and sugar are "borderline".  Told me I have to cut back on sodium, red meat, salmon, eggs, pork, and sugar.  Hell, my BP, cholesterol and sugar are going to come down really fast because I'm going to starve to death!

I told him I'd pick up an extra chicken or turkey meal during the week, but I've got a freezer full of venison, beef and pork, so I need some lower sodium recipes for seasonings, rubs and such.  Whatcha got?

PS: I guess my days of frying up backstraps in bacon grease with onions and mushrooms are over.  Or maybe not, I'm not known for following orders real well.

The only thing that will bring your cholesterol down is exercise, Not what you eat. Use pepper, instead of salt, or garlic pepper. Sugar is a tricky one. You don't have to cut out sugar completely, but watch your intake of it, and also watch your intake on carbs, as they turn into sugar.

I'm going through the same thing sort of. Lean meats are great for you so try 93/7 ground beef, or ground turkey. Venison is lean and can be marinated in Italian dressing and then grilled. Throw some veggies or a salad in and wallah, you are eating healthier.

Good luck.

Almost forgot, everything in MODERATION is the key.

Edited by Zem18

Doctor told me about 7 years ago my blood pressure was borderline ,it was after they lowered the standard to 120/80 , he said my total cholesterol was also borderline except my 

"good" cholesterol is double what it should be . I take the meds he gave me and i really should eat more healthy.

Well, I went in for my DOT physical last week and Dr says my BP is high, cholesterol and sugar are "borderline".  Told me I have to cut back on sodium, red meat, salmon, eggs, pork, and sugar.  Hell, my BP, cholesterol and sugar are going to come down really fast because I'm going to starve to death!

I told him I'd pick up an extra chicken or turkey meal during the week, but I've got a freezer full of venison, beef and pork, so I need some lower sodium recipes for seasonings, rubs and such.  Whatcha got?

PS: I guess my days of frying up backstraps in bacon grease with onions and mushrooms are over.  Or maybe not, I'm not known for following orders real well.

There is lots of research out there that points to food cholesterol not having an impact on your blood cholesterol. Saturated fats and trans fats can, but food cholesterol, not so much. If you look at the gritty biology of it all, it's  true. Even the government's dietary guidelines is hearing the science and has greatly reduced the warnings on food cholesterol intake. http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/07/health/2015-dietary-guidelines/That is not to say that high blood cholesterol is not a problem, just that the cholesterol you eat is not impacting it too much. Eat your venison, salmon and eggs (medium-chain fats are some of the healthiest foods you can eat, which are found in things like fish, coconut oil, avocado...). Enjoy your beef and pork too, in moderation. If you are eating genuinely pastured animals, know that their fats are "healthier" in general, and they tend to be leaner. I used rendered suet to cook in regularly, though I will only use it from pastured animals that I get from local farmers so that I know what I'm getting. Sugars and carbohydrates have a greater negative impact on your blood chemistry (especially if you are borderline diabetic) than almost any other food. If nothing else, try to cut back on the heavy saturated fats, sugars, and carby foods for a few months and see how your blood tests come back.

I'm not a doctor and I don't want to cherry-pick articles for you to read, but there is a lot of science behind this and doctors and the governing bodies are slowly catching up. Also remember that everyone's body is different and processes things differently. There is no 'one size fits all' diet or lifestyle out there.

• Like 1

First off, I would not be concerned with the venison even though it is a "red" meat.   Venison is about as "organic" as you can get, and you can see for yourself, just by the way it fries up in a pan, that it lacks most of the artery-clogging fat that beef is packed with.  Even though it is red, it is likely better for your heart than store-bought chicken.   Do substitute olive oil for bacon grease when you fry up your backstraps however.  Since the deer population expanded sufficiently for the state to loosen up on the antlerless tags about 15 years ago, about 50% of our family's protein comes from venison, and no more beef is purchased from the store.  We also eat a lot of fish (baked or broiled, not fried), all of which is also "free", thanks to liberal bag-limits and abundant supply, and fun to collect just like the venison.  Another easy thing that you can do for your cholesterol is to start taking a couple garlic pills every day.  They are available over the counter, cheap at the drug store and are coated to eliminate any "garlic-breath" or taste.   

Diet is the most important thing you can do for cholesterol, but exercise ranks nearly as high.  It does not take a whole lot of effort, and you don't have to go to a gym.  I do 20 minutes of light resistance training each weekday morning at home before work, mixing up the routines a bit every month to avoid the "plateau effect".  That can be as simple as changing from incline to decline bench press or grip position on curls, etc.  I do 20 minutes of cardio (alternating between bike and treadmill every other day) each weekday evening.   I also use the stairs, rather than elevators and walk several times during each work day.  I look forward to calls from the shop-floor downstairs, to take care of the frequent issues which develop down there.  On weekends, I take advantage of any fun physical activity I can depending on the season, still-hunting the mountains for deer and bear, small game hunting, fishing, rowing, canoeing, swimming, snowshoeing, or skiing.     

As far as the blood pressure, the exercise will help a bit also, as will reducing salt in your diet.  I never use a salt shaker at the table but use plenty of pepper.   I keep a shaker of ground black pepper and another of cayenne at the table at all times.  Stress is probably the biggest driver of high blood pressure.  Getting outside and enjoying some fun activities can help with reducing it.  Finally, developing a strong faith in Jesus Christ can get rid of all of it.  There is no reason to stress for this short time on Earth when forever in Paradise awaits.   

Edited by wolc123

First off, I would not be concerned with the venison even though it is a "red" meat.   Venison is about as "organic" as you can get, and you can see for yourself, just by the way it fries up in a pan, that it lacks most of the artery-clogging fat that beef is packed with.  Even though it is red, it is likely better for your heart than store-bought chicken.   Do substitute olive oil for bacon grease when you fry up your backstraps however.  Since the deer population expanded sufficiently for the state to loosen up on the antlerless tags about 15 years ago, about 50% of our family's protein comes from venison, and no more beef is purchased from the store.  We also eat a lot of fish (baked or broiled, not fried), all of which is also "free", thanks to liberal bag-limits and abundant supply, and fun to collect just like the venison.  Another easy thing that you can do for your cholesterol is to start taking a couple garlic pills every day.  They are available over the counter, cheap at the drug store and are coated to eliminate any "garlic-breath" or taste.   

Diet is the most important thing you can do for cholesterol, but exercise ranks nearly as high.  It does not take a whole lot of effort, and you don't have to go to a gym.  I do 20 minutes of light resistance training each weekday morning at home before work, mixing up the routines a bit every month to avoid the "plateau effect".  That can be as simple as changing from incline to decline bench press or grip position on curls, etc.  I do 20 minutes of cardio (alternating between bike and treadmill every other day) each weekday evening.   I also use the stairs, rather than elevators and walk several times during each work day.  I look forward to calls from the shop-floor downstairs, to take care of the frequent issues which develop down there.  On weekends, I take advantage of any fun physical activity I can depending on the season, still-hunting the mountains for deer and bear, small game hunting, fishing, rowing, canoeing, swimming, snowshoeing, or skiing.     

As far as the blood pressure, the exercise will help a bit also, as will reducing salt in your diet.  I never use a salt shaker at the table but use plenty of pepper.   I keep a shaker of ground black pepper and another of cayenne at the table at all times.  Stress is probably the biggest driver of high blood pressure.  Getting outside and enjoying some fun activities can help with reducing it.  Finally, developing a strong faith in Jesus Christ can get rid of all of it.  There is no reason to stress for this short time on Earth when forever in Paradise awaits.   

Man, I was with you right up until your fairytale about the Mexican lawn dude. 

• Like 2

The wife and I have spent the weekend redeveloping our cooking strategy with a focus on how to reduce sodium in our seasonings, as that's a great part of our diet.  I mean, come on, what tastes better than a nice ribeye seasoned with some fresh cracked black pepper and fresh ground kosher salt?

Do what your Dr. tells You!!!!! 

Now……... PM me with directions to your house and I will come and get rid of those back straps for you…They are POISON to your system!!!!

• Like 4

Horrible advice as usual. Are you advocating he doesn't get his diet and exercise under control?

No, You missing the point Belo (as usual) I'm saying set your expectations right since our healthcare is in shambles... that's all...

No, You missing the point Belo (as usual) I'm saying set your expectations right since our healthcare is in shambles... that's all...

I understood your point loud and clear. And I've not gone back to a few primary care docs after first visits where they were interested in nothing but prescribing pills.

However, in this case they're simple test results and the doc is giving him a heads up to fix it before he ends up on pills. there is no scam that i'm aware of with any METS related test and health issues.

I got away from using salt on my eggs in the am and started using Frank's Hot Sauce . Most foods have a lot of salt in them . 

Franks is a good substitute for a lot of things, though it still has 180mg of sodium just in a little tsp

MR B is in that boat...both parents...but he has controlled his with diet to the point of being able to drip meds. Now our food bill is higher because the right foods and combinations there of...cost more. Though still less than eating out..which we nearly never do. I pack his launchers well.