Dog food

Dom

Just about every dog forum will have threads pertaining to dog food with plenty of opinions on who makes the best. For me it comes down to the quality of ingredients and a company with a long track record. I don't think the dog food companies are under very stringent standards when it comes to what the makeup of their feed is. Some use dusty dirty grains and chicken guts, beaks and feet along with other filthy meat byproducts to boost the protein levels and some even import crap from China to put in their feed. That is why you see recalls and lawsuits from owner's dogs getting sick and even dying from some of the stuff out there being sold.

I like Purina, Regular Dog Chow and Puppy Chow along with High Pro & Pro Plan are my main stays. Over the many years of using this brand I have only good things to say about them. They have a long proven track record. Their ingredients are top notch, they have a food blend that will cover any type of dog needs, the price is reasonable. 

Last but not least Purina throws big time support into the hunting-sporting dog community something a lot of dog food companies shy away from in this overly politically correct world influenced more and more by moron groups like PETA and HSUS!

Al

Edited by airedale

we are talking about the same animal that lays around the house licks its own hind end and you worry about what to feed it!!

Yea some of us do, so what!

My dogs are important to me and don't just lay around the house, I guess if I had one of those types it would be different.

1. Dogs ain't cheap, would you put 87 octane in a sports car?

2. I use them for hunting and need them to be in good shape

3. I invest a lot of money training said dogs and would not want it to go to waste by having it pass away early or not perform up to snuff.

well then enjoy your animals as you should! my comment was not meant to cause harm or concern it was solely meant to be comical 

Got cha, personally I am not concerned with what folks feed their dogs because I understand that some folks can't afford the type of food others can and may not need the higher quality. Totally makes sense to me.

Try to feed them the best you can afford, avoid anything where corn is the main ingredient. If you have a Costco near you, look at Kirkland Nature's Domain kibble, VERY similar to Taste of the Wild but about 1/2 the cost. I usually mix a little ground beef, venison, or bluefish in so they don't get bored.

i would love to hear why the wife disagrees

Edit*

and when you feed raw, you must include organs and bones... chicken bones are very good for dogs, they are not as strong as other weight holding bones such as legs from beef/deer.

Make sure the chicken bones aren't cooked, or is that a myth?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I would never feed chicken bones raw or cooked  ...but that is just a thing for me...cooking any bone makes it more brittle I believe. Thus concerns on splintering. Though any food ,other than ground up meat, could be dangerous...Angel once woofed down a Milk bone and got it caught in her jaw and couldn't loosen it. Good thing we were watching ...it had locked her jaw open and she got frantic...

• Like 2

Try to feed them the best you can afford, avoid anything where corn is the main ingredient. If you have a Costco near you, look at Kirkland Nature's Domain kibble, VERY similar to Taste of the Wild but about 1/2 the cost. I usually mix a little ground beef, venison, or bluefish in so they don't get bored.

what did the poor dog do to deserve bluefish?!?!

My lab , 6 years old has been fed only grain free food since I got him . no supermarket brands. He is 100 pounds and solid no flab,strong as an OX. never been sick. Buying quality food might cost a little more but it saves on the Vet. bills.

• Like 1