Any Sardine Lovers ?

Pygmy

Who likes sardines ?   What type/brand do you prefer ?

They are tasty ( if you happen to like disgusting looking little dead fish) and they are GOOD for you ! Lots of Omega 3 oils.

My current favorites are :

Ligas in tomato sauce with chile.  Product of the Phillipines. They come in little round cans like a tomato paste can. The Mermaid's DIL gets them at the local oriental store for me for $1.00 a can.

Starkist Skinless and Boneless Selects in EVOO.. $2.38 per can at Wallyworld.

King Oscar Double Double Layer Brisling Sardines in oil...Somewhat expensive at $4.00 + percan, but very tasty.

• Like 1

jjb4900, on 19 Feb 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

Love is a strong word, but I like King Oscar..........little Franks Hot Sauce on a Saltine is delicious.

That's the way I like 'em too...Sometimes instead of the hot sauce  I garnish it with a sprinkling of  pickled hot pepper relish.

I love sardines. Any brand, although I bough a cheap brand a few times,( can't remember the brand but the can had a blue label) They were way too big and boney. They looked like something they throw to the seals at marine world.

I like those canned Kipper snacks too.

• Like 2

I love sardines. Any brand, although I bough a cheap brand a few times,( can't remember the brand but the can had a blue label) They were way too big and boney. They looked like something they throw to the seals at marine world.

I like those canned Kipper snacks too.

reminds me of Bumble Bee Brand.

Biz-R-OWorld, on 19 Feb 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

Gross. I'd rather break open an old thermometer and drink Mercury straight up.

I'll stick with wild salmon, trout, sole, and flounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's another reason sardines are good for you. Being such a short-lived fish, they don't store the contaminants such as mercury, pcbs and other junk like big fish do. It is much more of a danger with large, long lived species like swordfish or the bigger tuna species.

• Like 5

I love them! I get the kind that's skinless, boneless and in olive oil. I like to mash them up and add balsamic vinegar, chopped onion, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley and sea salt that I brought over from the area my family is from in Montenegro. I'll eat it twice a week if I can. Great source of protein for after the gym and omega 3's.

• Like 2

Gross. I'd rather break open an old thermometer and drink Mercury straight up.

I'll stick with wild salmon, trout, sole, and flounder

Fish that are towards the bottom of the food chain tend to have shorter life cycles therefore having less contaminates.

Skillet, on 19 Feb 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

I love sardines in oil! I like to dump the can in a small cast iron skillet, & brown it, then eat them on triscuits.

Don't cook it in the break room at work though. Seriously.

Not unless you want it to smell like the girls locker room..

• Like 1