How to destroy / disable old hard drives ?

fasteddie

Was this computer geek from the Geek Squad?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

No .. The guy who lives next door to me is some kind of computer consultant or something. He sets up programs. He works, for himself, out of his house, but also travels all over. Looks like he does pretty well so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

No .. The guy who lives next door to me is some kind of computer consultant or something. He sets up programs. He works, for himself, out of his house, but also travels all over. Looks like he does pretty well so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Drilling three holes into it will damage the hard drive and prevent it from working in a computer but a lab can still read all the data from the parts of the disc that doesn't have a hole.  Such process cost a few grand as I've mentioned before which again, unless you're a valued target, most common people won't drop that kind of coin just to see what you may have on you're computer.

Drilling three holes into it will damage the hard drive and prevent it from working in a computer but a lab can still read all the data from the parts of the disc that doesn't have a hole.  Such process cost a few grand as I've mentioned before which again, unless you're a valued target, most common people won't drop that kind of coin just to see what you may have on you're computer.

What if you removed the hard drive and let it cook in the fireplace for a day????

If you really want to destroy the data as stated you need to damage the plates.  I simply bust the electrical connections but the hard drives do not have any real data that I care about anyone getting.  If they are smart enough to know how to get the data and succeed they will find it was not worth the effort. 

IDE and SATA both have moving parts like a record, damage the record enough and getting the data is next to impossible.  Solid state hard drives are much easer to brake with a hammer.  My solution is to get it apart by what ever method you wish, gun, screwdriver, hammer, whiz wheel then damage the plates.  Or you can use the shredder Black Bellamy suggested just make sure the plates are in pieces. 

I have recovered salt water damaged drives but it was a small miracle.

Damn!!!……. Its like The Terminator!!

What if you drilled holes and poured liquid Draino into the holes??

Drano requires water for a reaction to take place. Even then, it'll only heat up, and react with aluminum. I think Drano is more for dissolving organize, and not synthetics.

Drano requires water for a reaction to take place. Even then, it'll only heat up, and react with aluminum. I think Drano is more for dissolving organize, and not synthetics.

Draino ..plus wrap them in a pair of Rosie O'denell's under pants…….Tell me that won't work…...