Plumbing Fixtures From A Big Box Store?

Lawdwaz

I don't know if there is any difference in quality. It's not an issue that I focus on any more.

I know that job call-backs cost me a lot of time, and time is money. Wear and tear on my body is expensive as well. If a customer wants to supply their own fixtures, cabinets, faucets, and other materials for a job I write the warranty part of the contract to reflect that. I simply can't be responsible for other peoples' choices.

As far as tools, I buy the best and I always buy them from someone who will fight with the manufacturer for me if there's a problem. Customer support is king, and it starts with the point of purchase. If a tool fails in the middle of a job the local guy will get me back to work immediately, and probably hand-deliver the replacement.

• Like 1

Isn't all that easy when manufacturers keep jumbling up models and part numbers.

TVs are notorious for this.

Big Box stores actually set the targets for orders with the suppliers/manufacturer. Build X for Y and we're ordering 1,000,000 units. If you don't, we're no longer selling your products.

This is part of the reason why Rubbermaid folded and ultimately ended up restarting overseas. Wal-Mart became too large of a supplier for them from a % of revenue. Wal-Mart then came in and informed them of the above. Rubbermaid couldn't financially make that happen thus they folded up shop in Ohio.

It is very different from the negotiating power when both sides used to be more balanced. It is also reason why nearly every major company with a shelf presence in Wal-Mart has offices in Bentonville, AR.

• Like 2

Isn't all that easy when manufacturers keep jumbling up models and part numbers.

Big Box stores actually set the targets for orders with the suppliers/manufacturer. Build X for Y and we're ordering 1,000,000 units. If you don't, we're no longer selling your products.

This is part of the reason why Rubbermaid folded and ultimately ended up restarting overseas. Wal-Mart became too large of a supplier for them from a % of revenue. Wal-Mart then came in and informed them of the above. Rubbermaid couldn't financially make that happen thus they folded up shop in Ohio.

It is very different from the negotiating power when both sides used to be more balanced. It is also reason why nearly every major company with a shelf presence in Wal-Mart has offices in Bentonville, AR.

I can't see a manufacturer putting the same exact numbers on the box and shipping the lower quality to big box stores and then shipping the better stuff to the more "specialized" dealers. It would be an inventory nightmare for them.

If the model or skew numbers were different, but the item "looks" exactly the same, I would believe it.

In today's world, everything is about lots, tracking, and QC. And without some way of identifying what came out of where and when, the manufacturers may just as well shoot themselves in the foot.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I can't believe that as products are coming down an assembly line that they are being sorted for this one going to a big box store & the next one going to a specially store or hardware store? It wouldn't be productive for a company.  They claim that Chevy & GM trucks all come down the same assembly line but they just put different letters on the front & back!

I can't believe that as products are coming down an assembly line that they are being sorted for this one going to a big box store & the next one going to a specially store or hardware store? It wouldn't be productive for a company. They claim that Chevy & GM trucks all come down the same assembly line but they just put different letters on the front & back!

Well, it was made clear that the box and numbers are different, and that I can understand. Tooling is probably the same, but parts such as motors and electronics would be downgraded to spec to save on costs for a special order. I don't blame the manufacturer for this, as much as the consumer not doing their research before buying.

maybe they can offer such lower prices because of the massive amounts of merchandise the big box stores buy and sell?....I guess I wouldn't buy from Home Depot if I could get the same lower price from a small local store, but the only thing more important to me then someone making a dollar is me keeping a few of mine, so Home Depot it is.

maybe they can offer such lower prices because of the massive amounts of merchandise the big box stores buy and sell?....I guess I wouldn't buy from Home Depot if I could get the same lower price from a small local store, but the only thing more important to me then someone making a dollar is me keeping a few of mine, so Home Depot it is.

It all depends if the local store offers added value, assuming the part is the same. I have no problem supporting a local shop, if there is a clear advantage to doing so.

But I now often find that a quick search on the net will yield better knowledge than that of local shops, so there's no need to be ordering from them if I have nothing to gain.

Funny you mention TV's...........When we made our one and only HD TV purchase I did what I could online and in stores.  Best Buy just confused me with all there bullshiit I walked out pissed out.  I looked at Sears, Wal Mart etc and just hated it.  I didn't want to buy one off the web for some reason and kept shopping.  One night buy chance, I was in Target and browsed their TV selection.  I had my eyes on a Samsung from the start of the hunt and right there and then, the RIGHT TV, for the RIGHT price jumped out at me.  It literally took me 20 seconds to pull the trigger and we have NOT been disappointing in the TV at all.  In fact, quite pleased and would buy another in a heart beat from them.  Weird huh?   

Strangely, I hate Best Buy.  Something about the huge wall of TV's that just bombards the consumer with an overwhelming amount of pixels and sound that drives me nuts. :)

Well on a related note; the simple little light fixture for the bathroom has also been a struggle.  I wasn't apposed to buying a light fixture at a BB store as much as I was the plumbing fixtures so we (wife and I) had been to HD and Lowe's a bunch of times but NOTHING really struck us as the "one" for us.  I know it's not too big of a deal and we shouldn't sweat it but neither place had the right one. 

Well today I shot over to Shanor and browsed a bit. 

http://shanorroyalitelighting.com/

A lady I was acquainted with a number of years ago worked there.  Thankfully she was in and we made small talk for a few minutes reacquainting and then got down to business.  3 minutes of browsing and I said the magic words......"I'll take THAT one". :)

The price was a bit higher than a BB store but the quality is better (from what I can see) and the finish appears to be much better. Win/win/win..........

My wife just got home from work, now we'll see if I can keep it. :)

Stay tuned..............................

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

I always tell my clients to buy either Delta or Moen products when it comes to plumbing fixtures... they are the only brands with readily available replaceable parts... you can even still get the parts for older Moen and Delta fixtures at your local hardware store. It saves on having to change the entire fixture later on, especially bath fixtures where the controller would have to be changed if the fixture fails... which means tearing apart the wall to get to the controller.

• Like 4

I always tell my clients to buy either Delta or Moen products when it comes to plumbing fixtures... they are the only brands with readily available replaceable parts... you can even still get the parts for older Moen and Delta fixtures at your local hardware store. It saves on having to change the entire fixture later on, especially bath fixtures where the controller would have to be changed if the fixture fails... which means tearing apart the wall to get to the controller.

Good point- fill out your warranty cards and Moen will replace parts/cartridges FREE for life.

I installed a Moen bath faucet on my old mans shower, and bathroom and kitchen sinks over 10 years ago and he calls them every 6 months for a new cartridges.

Never any inconvenience with that.

His well water clogs them up pretty quick.

His kitchen sink handle assembly deteriorated away and they sent him a new one no questions asked.

Not a bad deal!

In an emergency, most folks don't have time to wait for parts to be shipped, or they don't know how to do the job themselves, so they end up paying someone for them.

Their warranty does sort of cover a "preventive maintenance" schedule as long as you're faucets are registered with them.

Edited by wooly

I just bought a cool light fixture from zgallerie, check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we just have to take your word that the light fixture is indeed cool considering lack of photographic evidence

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 1

I guess we just have to take your word that the light fixture is indeed cool considering lack of photographic evidence

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Here u go. Got blocked twice trying to upload pic, not sure why. Had to pick smallest, least clarity version for some reason.

post-871-14572920115603_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Just bought and installed a Pfister faucet from Home Depot, easiest install I've done. As a side note I put in shut off valves from Lowes, the Shark Bite style, awesome ! No torch, no wrench , no leak.