Mink...

Stopped to take a pic of a culvert pipe today when this mink came shooting out like he was on the water slide at Six Flags!
I see a bunch of them this time of year while hiking, but this is the first time I got a decent shot of one.

Question.....
Is it now the "mink rut", or what's the deal with the increase in mink sightings this time of year? I really don't know much about them other than this is a good time to see one.
Sure I could Google it, but I'll let one of you be my hero by enlightening me with your infinite wisdom of everything wild!

.... plus I just wanted to hang his pic here. :imsohappy: 

original.jpg

• Like 13

Awesome pic !!!

Pretty sure it's mink mating season as well as muskrat mating season. Muskrats will start to move a lot looking for a partner so mink will be hunting them for a nice dinner. Watch in the next month or so all the road killed muskrats when during winter you won't see a one.

Dang small type size  ugh.

• Like 1

How many minks does it take to make a coat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranched mink are twice the size of wild mink or more than twice the size. But I would guess Lawdaz is about right around 65 wild mink, because it takes about 50 large muskrats for a short jacket, and muskrats are much wider then mink.

Mink is no longer the expensive fur of the past. The demand is low, and the threat this year was muskrat pelts would bring more or about the same ; 10 for a rat, 5 for a female mink, 8 for a male mink. I think the prices on mink were a little better, but not much, like 12 for a male. This is unprecedented to trappers that have been around since the seventies. 

Mink taken incendenly in muskrat traps might get skinned, because they are about as quick and easy to process as a muskrat. Coon caught in rat traps are a different matter, much harder to process and not bringing much anymore either, 5 to 12 dollars, not worth it. 

Beaver trapping is the biggest joke if you are motivated by money, becuase pelt prices are depressed, traps are expensive, and processing beavers takes a long time and is difficult - more money in raising earthworms than trapping beavers. Coyotes - I wont even go there.... . 

• Like 1