Honda 3 wheeler

I don't think you can.........but don't bet big money on it.

They can be VERY dangerous although I survived 25+ years riding one.  In 1986 I bought a new Honda Big Red, she was a grand machine and to this day it is owned by a fellow in Naples, NY. 

I had some great times on it but also some damned close calls.   Make sure your son isn't riding like a wild man (yea sure, like he's really going top listen to dad!) or he'll end up in trouble.

That said, what'd he buy and can I come over and take a spin??  :)

• Like 2

I don't think you can.........but don't bet big money on it.

They can be VERY dangerous although I survived 25+ years riding one. In 1986 I bought a new Honda Big Red, she was a grand machine and to this day it is owned by a fellow in Naples, NY.

I had some great times on it but also some damned close calls. Make sure your son isn't riding like a wild man (yea sure, like he's really going top listen to dad!) or he'll end up in trouble.

That said, what'd he buy and can I come over and take a spin?? :)

I believe it's a Big Red 250, sure c'mon over an relive your youth.I will warn him how dangerous it can be,thanks for the advice

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I had one too, years ago. Lots of fun! Easy to do wheelies. But you do really have to be careful with them. If ya corner too quick they can be a lot more tippy than a four wheeler. And you gotta make sure your feet don't come off the pegs and get run over by the back tires. Saw that happen once and it wasn't pretty. Just use common sense and he will be fine. Course at 19 common sense was in short supply for me.

I've done that! U put ur leg down in a fast turn like on a dirt bike and...slurp, the rear tire sucks ur leg in. I owned a 86 big red 250 that was in great shape. I sold it 5 years ago and got $1700 for it. They can be dangerous but are a fun way to ride. Be thankful he didn't get a 250r or a tri z or a tecate. Those can go from fun to bad VERY fast.

I had one too, years ago. Lots of fun! Easy to do wheelies. But you do really have to be careful with them. If ya corner too quick they can be a lot more tippy than a four wheeler. And you gotta make sure your feet don't come off the pegs and get run over by the back tires. Saw that happen once and it wasn't pretty. Just use common sense and he will be fine. Course at 19 common sense was in short supply for me.

Yeah it is for him to grampy

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 wheelers are what I grew up on.

When they added the extra tire I felt like a pussy,lol

I started out on a Honda 125M that pops had bought for me as a kid. From there it was on to the 200S because I NEEDED that 4 inches of front suspension. (like that really helped)

Then came the 200X and 250R when I had to buy them for myself.

My 3 wheelers used to get "borrowed" a lot and the unknown riders would head to Iroquois High School and  jump the levels of soccer fields and then blaze down the railroad tracks when the fuzz showed up!

Fortunately.....,  

I mean UN-FORTUNATELY..., they never caught the guy and to the best of my knowledge.... he's still alive and kickin'!

I don't care how carefull you are on a trike, they are seriously dangerous if you don't know what the heck you're doing.

But don't worry, at 19 he'll never even mention 1/2 of the near death experiences he encounters along the way so you got nothing to sweat about!

• Like 4

A neighbor that used to live on the other side of out Tract had a couple of them . Every once in a while they would break them out and haul ass around the circle . I was always surprised that they neve flipped one over . Those little suckers were fast .

3 wheelers are what I grew up on.

When they added the extra tire I felt like a pussy,lol

I started out on a Honda 125M that pops had bought for me as a kid. From there it was on to the 200S because I NEEDED that 4 inches of front suspension. (like that really helped)

Then came the 200X and 250R when I had to buy them for myself.

My 3 wheelers used to get "borrowed" a lot and the unknown riders would head to Iroquois High School and  jump the levels of soccer fields and then blaze down the railroad tracks when the fuzz showed up!

Fortunately.....,  

I mean UN-FORTUNATELY..., they never caught the guy and to the best of my knowledge.... he's still alive and kickin'!

I don't care how carefull you are on a trike, they are seriously dangerous if you don't know what the heck you're doing.

But don't worry, at 19 he'll never even mention 1/2 of the near death experiences he encounters along the way so you got nothing to sweat about!

Spoken like a true wild man!

If I'd have got one of these as a teenager I'm sure it would have meant a trip or three to the ER.  Lord knows there were some close calls..........

If you're ever going down Millersport Highway in Amherst, note the ditch on the north west side on the road, just north of New Rd.  IIRC there is a billboard right there, just south of the dog kennels.  I ALMOST bought the farm there one night.  Good times. :)

• Like 1

First three wheeler was a Yamaha 125, then a Suzuki 125 because it had that little pull lever for reverse. Then a Yamaha Moto 200 trike. All were a lot of fun. The very first lesson I learned on a three wheeler was "Look ma, no hands!" was't much fun.

I am not sure if you can still get them registered, but the one thing you can add to help with 'foot slip' are metal foot peg guards that don't allow the foot to slip all the way off. 

• Like 1

My best friend has been buying ,fixing up and selling honda big reds for the last couple years , he has an inventory of 15 , some of them are for parts and the rest will get the treatment and sold . He makes a good amount of money that he uses for more garage equipment/tools.

• Like 2

My best friend has been buying ,fixing up and selling honda big reds for the last couple years , he has an inventory of 15 , some of them are for parts and the rest will get the treatment and sold . He makes a good amount of money that he uses for more garage equipment/tools.

I may hit you up for info

They are definitely dangerous machines. Easy to tip, roll , flip and lose control of. Hunting buddies had them, back in the day..and they SUCK unless you're doing a very slow trail ride. My brother had one in the late 80's .Some D!cK gave it to him instead of the money he owed him……very unstable, poorly designed,  dangerous machines. You don't have to be riding anywhere near crazy, to lose it and get yourself all kinds of F-ed up or dead!!!   

Edited by ants

They are definitely dangerous machines. Easy to tip, roll , flip and lose control of. Hunting buddies had them, back in the day..and they SUCK unless you're doing a very slow trail ride. My brother had one in the late 80's .Some D!cK gave it to him instead of the money he owed him……very unstable, poorly designed, dangerous machines. You don't have to be riding anywhere near crazy, to lose it and get yourself all kinds of F-ed up or dead!!!

Damn buzzkill....

IMO that's the best part is how easy they are to wheelie or ride around on the side with 1 rear tire up in the air. But I couldn't imagine riding one on a trail I ride my dirtbike on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk