been moving turtles

Critter4321

I have a decent sized pond. I have transplanted several migrating painted turtles to it in in recent years. Neighbor has an enormous pond and the larger Snappers come down to mine to lay eggs and use it as a nursery.I have had occasion to help huge Snappers back to the large pond in my wheel barrow.It's a decent hike for them.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 2

came up over a rise and bend in the road the other day in the truck.  big snapper was right in the middle of the road.  happened so quick all I could do was brace myself and line up the tires on either side.  no contact was made and made it over it just fine.  I heed DEC warnings and don't relocate snappers that big to the edge of the road.  anything else I gladly will.

Spun this one around yesterday at the corner of 20A and 15A in Hemlock, he was heading east before I intervened .  Just couldn't stand the idea of him getting pancaked.

Freaky things that they are........ :)

image_zpscggvfunh.jpeg

• Like 1

Spun this one around yesterday at the corner of 20A and 15A in Hemlock, he was heading east before I intervened .  Just couldn't stand the idea of him getting pancaked.

Freaky things that they are........ :)

image_zpscggvfunh.jpeg

Did you ever try eating one of those? How do they taste?

Something about these things that gets me all kinds of excited!

Went looking for a few today but couldn't find any.

I like to move/handle them even if they're not any where near a road. Almost like taming a lion to me,lol

• Like 1

Something about these things that gets me all kinds of excited!

Went looking for a few today but couldn't find any.

I like to move/handle them even if they're not any where near a road. Almost like taming a lion to me,lol

me too, if I come across one I have to catch it and mess with it. Since I was a little kid lol
  • Like 1

Ever been to garlocks in Lockport? They serve snapper turtle soup. Bet you would dig it.

It's been 25 years since I ate there and I don't recall seeing "snapper soup" on the menu. 

For 5-6 years we ate there once or twice a year.  "Giggy"  :)

• Like 1