Buying a boat

stoneam2006

Ok guys I'm buying a boat this weekend got a few to look at. Let's hear some stuff to look at/for.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Make sure there aren't any holes and that it floats

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

How big of a money pit are you thinking about?

How many horse power?

Trailer able or car top?

Lol good point....18 ish ft...looking at 2 pontoons and a couple open bows this weekend. 35 and 75 on pontoon....70 o/b on 1 of the open bows...few are i/o....all on trailer

Don't forget boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand. It depends also on what you intend to use it for fishing and pulling little kids on a tube occasionally or pulling a 250 pound waterskier. I have a 18ft bowrider with a 190 horsepower I/o and I love it, power to spare. You also have to decide on fiberglass or aluminum if you go bowrider, aluminum is a lot lighter to tow around but fibreglass is a lot smoother riding boat. Lots of choices good luck!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Lol good point....18 ish ft...looking at 2 pontoons and a couple open bows this weekend. 35 and 75 on pontoon....70 o/b on 1 of the open bows...few are i/o....all on trailer

Are you going to keep it in a slip somewhere or towing it lake to lake? That'll make a big difference in your choices, IMO.

A pontoon boat looks like a PIA to tow/launch etc. Also, although they look like a superb family boat, I bet they're a bear on a breezy day. Tough to control while fishing/docking etc.

I'm sure you'll get some more feedback.

• Like 1

What is the primary purpose of the boat? What kinds of waters will it be used in? Big lakes or small creeks and rivers? Parties? Power or finesse riding? Trolling? Working around heavy weed beds and tight log infested bays?

• Like 1

i would say stick with an outboard until you get over 19 foot.  with an IO you will be limited to warm temp usage, where with an outboard you can use them all year long. the IO will need to be winterized every fall while you can learn how to do it yourself its generally around 120-150.00 to have a marina do it and in my opinion its cheap insurance having them do it so if in the spring you start up the boat and find a broken heat exchanger or cracked block because something was missed it falls back on the marina. 

with an IO a few things to look at and remember for future maintenance is the transom boot and shift boot, they can, do and will dry rot and leak, if you keep the boat on a dock muskrats love transom boots for some reason. 

IO motors are sometimes easier for mechanically inclined folks to work on since they are basically a car motor with open water ports, most though are crammed into small areas and can be a a real pain to work on.  you will also need a oil change pump to change the oil or again have the marina do it.

pontoon boats generally have lots of room to fish off of but they are NOT a boat for large water, they will roll over in rough water and as law said they can be a real pita in windy conditions.  a 35 hp on a pontoon boat unless its a real small boat will likely be under powered. 

as far as conventional runabout boats go some of the things to look for are;

- transom, check for water logged wood or signs of dry rot and weak wood

-floors, again check for weak spots, soft spots, spongy spots. generally in the forward bow, around the seats and just in front of the splashwell.

-wiring,  if it looks like a spaghetti mess and shows a lot of corrosion you will be fixing it at some point. 

-steering cables or hydrolic   lines should be in good condition and operate smoothly.

- flotation foam, make sure its present and not water logged. if its not present either have it done or find a different boat.

-check bilge pumps for proper operations, also check the bilge pump hoses for blockage.

- outboards, general appearance of little or no residual oil all over it, pull the engine cover check for cleanliness

-spark plug/ coil wires flexible and not cracked.

-carbs clean?

-general appearance neat, clean, no appearance of shady repairs ( parts tie wrapped or wired together where there should obviously be something else securing the part)

-- lower unit,

-check for oil leaks

-check for smooth shifting forward and reverse

-check the lower unit oil it should be clear and heavy, if its a milky color it has or has had water in it and is a clear indication of a serious problem.

-check the oil prior to and after a trial run.

- check the skeg and prop for damage,  if it has a brand new prop on it REALLY check the lower unit over good, even better is have a mechanic check it over. 

- always carry a spare prop in the boat and a prop wrench.  make sure the prop is the proper pitch and diameter for that motor.

- if its oil injected check the injector tank for general appearance.  do  not go cheap on the 2 cycle oil and ensure its the proper oil for the motor ( most are tc3 type oils)  always carry spare oil and recommend not mixing brands.

- check the cam rollers on the throttle linkage on the motor, probably be 2 little roller assemblies that move in a slotted mounting bracket. check for excessive wear, easily replaceable but something to check.

-- Hull,

-if aluminum hull check for loose rivets

-check the transom for oxidation around the motor mounts.

- check any add on parts, transducers, exterior  livewell pumps.

-check any dents, or gouges in the bottom.

-check contact points on the trailer, whether its a bunk type trailer or roller type.

fiberglass hulls-

check for spider web cracking/checking

check for blistering ( common problem with glass boats that set on a dock without bottom paint)

push on the sides of the boat to check for weak spots.

check for soft spots on the transom especially where any aftermarket things were installed.

where are you located and what price range are you looking at? 

I know of a possible boat going up for sale, 19 foot center console glass boat, 90hp honda motor always stored inside, nice trailer,  dual planer mast, 2 downriggers,  fish finder, radio, gear,  all in pretty nice shape  and can probably be bought right.

• Like 5

This will be used in lakes...chataqua...canandaigua...cuba....seneca and the like for my family to fish and hopefully tube a bit. Looking to spend around 3k and just want enough space that it doesn't feel cramped. Looking at open bow fiberglass and a couple pontoons so far. Not really worried about going Mach 1 around the lake but want to be able to tube around if I can convince my kids to do it or teach my wife to drive so I can. Thanks for the info some good stuff here.

Yes I know the boat acronym but growing up in Canandaigua. The parents never had the money for a boat. Then I bought my 12 foot and literally spend 2 days a week on it. Now I want to be able to get it other places and enjoy bigger lakes.

Boat will never see Ontario or Erie probably.

I will be towing this everywhere and learning to dock and basic maintenence myself. But will more than likely let a marina winterize/wrap it every winter and I will store inside.

I have done a lot of fishing from a pontoon boat- my brother is quadriplegic and uses a power wheelchair, so pontoons are the only type of boat that he can get onto.  They are not ideal for fishing from.  Really hard to keep properly positioned while drifting, even with a trolling motor.  Also really tough in any kind of wind.

• Like 2

I have done a lot of fishing from a pontoon boat- my brother is quadriplegic and uses a power wheelchair, so pontoons are the only type of boat that he can get onto. They are not ideal for fishing from. Really hard to keep properly positioned while drifting, even with a trolling motor. Also really tough in any kind of wind.

That's surprising I'd think pontoons were real close to the best to fish from just bc of the space... the wind comments are shying me away from them tho as I can only fish so much so fish in wind if I have to

I like my pontoon boat because it's smooth and I have young kids.  Easy to get in and out.  Really need a 90 horse or higher.  Mine is 26' and has a 115 and goes 25mph but it's a double decker.  Had a 90 on my old 25' that went 25 without an upper deck.  

• Like 1

Congrats on the new boat !!!!   Getting her out this weekend ?

Was on Canandaigua from 6 to 9 was perfect other than starter give me 1 hiccup but other than that towed 2 adults tubing pretty decent had 6 adults and my 2 little kids crude about 27 with that weight

• Like 2

Congrats, looks like a nice boat.What is the year and make? It looks like it has an I/O?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

87 four winns 17 foot 3.0 4 cylinder think mercruser outdrive would have to look absolutly 0 water after 3 hrs hull is near perfect motor is clean interior is really nice...canopy and cover fires right up good to go..1 hiccup starter gear didn't engage 1 time but after that good to go.