Farm land on state property

upstatehunter

I recently watched a hunting dvd that took place in the Dakotas and surrounding states.  There were farm fields that were state property but were farmed by the local farmers.  Would this be a benefit to the deer herd in NY and would it make state property hunting better.  Also make more use to the state property.  Lets hear your thoughts.

Lawd /guys help me out with this seeing you are from around the area...isn't there land ,state land just south of hemlock lake that is  or was being farmed...between the end of lake and Springwater on 15 as your headed up the hill headed toward Hemlock...come to think of it...isn't there land being farmed at the north end that is state  land...can't remember name of road. or does the state put those fields in?

We have at least one piece of state property with 100s of acres of crops grown on it .. part of a wetland preserve. Most of it huntable. Usually corn... It is typical public land though.(at least for this region) over hunted and poached..

Here in Monroe County theirs Braddocks Bay area off of route 220,   that has fields all around and on the hunting land.   then some bedding just on the outskirts of the land.   I'm seeing no benefits or disadvantage just it's hard to enter without being detected.

Don't confuse state owned land with walk in property that you see in places like the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska. The former is publicly owned while the later is privately owned and leased by state game departments in order to provide access to private property. In other words they supplement state lands and wildlife areas.

Lawd /guys help me out with this seeing you are from around the area...isn't there land ,state land just south of hemlock lake that is  or was being farmed...between the end of lake and Springwater on 15 as your headed up the hill headed toward Hemlock...come to think of it...isn't there land being farmed at the north end that is state  land...can't remember name of road. or does the state put those fields in?

Gosh I cant picture it, but ill have to check next time by, i wouldnt think so tho

• Like 1

There are such areas in NY like this.  Drive up route 3 along Lake Ontario, there is state land where they also stock pheasants and manage for ruffed grouse and other wildlife that has plenty of field acreage that is being farmed.  Last time I talked to one of the farmers they are required to leave x amount of certain crops.  Pretty nice deal for farmers and hunters alike. 

• Like 1

Deer will use these at night and bed farther away from the field edges than normal to avoid to over-pressure these areas get. Ohio has a lot of this situation and the borders of the field get pounded, but moving off the ag 1/2 mile to the most likely bedding areas (usually hilly terrain) will find you leave the hunters behind and the deer bed there.