Tree stand harness...what's everyone wearing?

mlammerhirt

25 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Does yours have the big seat belt style buckles on the legs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yes.  Never thought about wearing it under my main coat until someone post it on here. Could never utilize pockets of coat until putting it under. 

Mine is a 1999 AO System (made by DBI Sala) .  I k ow it's old but it's never been stressed and doesn't ever see an UV lighting. I paid a good buck for it and was one of the first kids on the block to use a full body harness instead of just a POS belt. 

I scored an exact copy of mine from my dad last year, that'll be my backup system  He's done climbing trees  

I love mine, wouldn't dream of going up without it. 

Which model ...they are in sale at Dick's right now and they look alot nicer/sleeker then my old hss vest style.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Idk if that's for me or not...I'm not sure what model I'll look when I get home but it's an excellent harness comfortable light weight and easy to put on i wear it under my jacket and even if I end up out of the tree I continue to wear it bc it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use a Muddy and of course a safety line with Prusik . I had an old HSS with seatbelt buckles , hated that thing . The buckles made noise when striking things like guns and bows, and those pockets kept getting caught on tree steps, till I stared putting it under my jacket , then you can't use the hood though .

Back when I stared I used a rope... a clove hitch around tree and a bowline around me, and my tree steps were small pieces of 2x4 tied around the tree... 

I use the one that came with the summit tree stand. I can't pretend I feel comfortable with the plastic buckles, but I assume they have run them through some testing. I put it on when at home and I for the most part forget it's there, it's really not too bad. I haven't weighed it but it's quite heavy. I see the hunter safety system claims to be only 2.5 lbs.

Ideally I'd want a system that lets me rappel down the tree and if I ever get one of the ultra light climbers that doesn't have the wrap-around ring at the top I would definitely get one of those. Otherwise I could see a person slipping the foot rest and hanging there kind of up the creek a little unable to easily rappel down.

3 hours ago, Core said:

Ideally I'd want a system that lets me rappel down the tree and if I ever get one of the ultra light climbers that doesn't have the wrap-around ring at the top I would definitely get one of those. Otherwise I could see a person slipping the foot rest and hanging there kind of up the creek a little unable to easily rappel down.

Carry an extra closed loop, either on your harness or a pocket you can reach . If you find yourself hanging by your harness which is attached to you line via a Prusik, simply use the loop to,tie a second Prusik low by your feet. Now put a foot in it stand and slide the upper Prusik down, then sit , slide lower Prusik down, replete inchworm style till on ground.

At work we've gone up and down 5 stores in training like this .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Maybe a stupid question.

Where do you hook the safety rope?

I like the looks of that one.

Just use a linesman rope and then attach the carabiner to the belay loop in the front of the harness, I take the line and just make a tuck into the belt so the line is behind me and out of the way.
  • Like 1