All this arguing over range

stoneam2006

Ok so with all this commotion on how far or how ethical or how confident one is with a bow let's here it from us.

What is your max range on a deer standing broadside or quartering away just a touch Un alert or maybe even bedded down with no wind. I'm talking absolute perfect opportunity.

What is your practice for being confident at a certain range? How many out of how many on target bc we are not perfect.

I'll start.

Absolute perfect opportunity I'd touch one off at 60 yards again absolute perfect conditions

My acceptable practice is 8 out of 10 in the 8 ring (approx 5 in from bull all around) that's more than confident for me.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A BASH OR ARGUE THREAD if you don't like someone's answer it's bc you cant do it. End of story.

Hope to hear some replys

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

60yds is my max, for the last 10 days I have shot 1 "cold" shot at 70yds and all were well within my 8" circle. To give myself even more wiggle room I have set my limit at 60yds.

Stone, I know you and I shoot a lot more than the average bow hunter and others need to remember that we shoot thousands of shots a year to be prepared for these ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yes......years and years of specific type of practice....and learning to read body language....which is right up there with having to practice....watch deer long enough and you know what they are about to do...You need to watch everything,how they rotate their ears, eye gaze as they lower their heads to feed..tail position, how they scent check the air,moved into the area and stance.   They talk volumes if you watch them and listen to your surroundings.

• Like 4

Yes......years and years of specific type of practice....and learning to read body language....which is right up there with having to practice....watch deer long enough and you know what they are about to do...You need to watch everything,how they rotate their ears, eye gaze as they lower their heads to feed..tail position, how they scent check the air,moved into the area and stance.   They talk volumes if you watch them and listen to your surroundings.

That's very respectable range instinctive...I know some who won't shoot that with top shelf equipment....just goes to show limitations are individual marks not something that can blanket over all of bowhunting

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When I am shooting good and that usually means hitting within a 2-3 inch group max at 60 yards I usually limit myself to about 50 yards.  (Un-alert deer.)  That said when my form is bad and I am shooting bad I will limit myself to 30 yards or so 35 max if the deer is alert and that is pushing it.  Shooting year round I know when I am on or off.  Can't say I would not shoot past 50 but my form and the deer would have to be perfect.  The stars never align that well, lol. 

Alert deer and I have good form 35 yards plus.

Relaxed deer good form 50 yards.

Bad form poor shooting I once limited myself to 25 yards due to neck issues. 

Basically my ability is the first factor and deer alertness is second.  If the season was on right now I would probably limit myself to 40 yards but I am in the middle of tuning and setting up broadheads so a few things need to be finished before I can set all my pins and determine how accurately I am shooting.

• Like 2

For me it always has been and always will be 30 yards. Over the years there have been a couple slightly longer shots. But a high percentage of my bow kills have been 20 yards or less. For me, bowhunting is getting as close to deer as I can get. That is what gets my heart pounding. Not long range shots. I do practice out to 60 and 70 yards, getting 7 out of 10 in an eight inch circle. At 30 yards I get 80 percent in a four inch circle. And at 20 yards 90 percent in a two inch circle. What others do, does not concern me.

• Like 4

I'm like a 30yard kinda guy.  I practiced with my bow quite a bit this summer so i'll go 30 yards.  I am also about 30 yards with my 12 gauge.  I never practice with it.  I don't want to mess up.

There's a lot of life left beyond 30 yards for a slug gun. Buy yourself shooting sticks or if using a stand use the shooting rail. You could always add a rail to a ladder stand too. Solid rest , little bit of practice and I know you can shoot 75 yards easy peasy Daughter has telescopic shooting bipod / legs . It's pretty solid and as long as gun is dialed in you're good to go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

There's a lot of life left beyond 30 yards for a slug gun. Buy yourself shooting sticks or if using a stand use the shooting rail. You could always add a rail to a ladder stand too. Solid rest , little bit of practice and I know you can shoot 75 yards easy peasy Daughter has telescopic shooting bipod / legs . It's pretty solid and as long as gun is dialed in you're good to go.

Last year my legal range was less than 30 yards.  It's complicated but I'm basically surrounded by housing developments.  This year I have more range(on one property but with no dmp tags, but not the other) but haven't been able to practice with my 12 gauge.  I want to be sure I get the deer meat without any spoilage.  I'm trying to get most of next years meat for my family from the wild not the store.  Except for bacon, pork shoulder, some ribs and a few odds and ends.  I love the smoker.  I'm barely a hunter.  too scared to mess something up and not want to do it.  If I didn't like meat so much I'd not care.

This goes on. The debate on yardage with a bow is endless. Shoot within the yardage you feel comfortable in. For me, it's preferably 25 yds.

I just don't get why this is always a debate. If you can make an 80-100 yd shot, great for you! You put your time in and practiced to get that yardage.

But, I agree, if a new hunter is coming in, and thinks they will get a 80 yd shot with ease they are wrong. My problem is, people post these vids, say they can make these shots, but fail to mention the amount of time and dedication you need to get a perfect shot over a max of 40 yds.

I am not sure what these people boasting with these very long yardage shots want to achieve, but to a beginner you will give them expectations from the start that 90% will never achieve. Leaving wounded deer. We should be preaching the basic ranges, not what the glory hounds posting on YouTube can do. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ....rob said:

This goes on. The debate on yardage with a bow is endless. Shoot within the yardage you feel comfortable in. For me, it's preferably 25 yds.

I just don't get why this is always a debate. If you can make an 80-100 yd shot, great for you! You put your time in and practiced to get that yardage.

But, I agree, if a new hunter is coming in, and thinks they will get a 80 yd shot with ease they are wrong. My problem is, people post these vids, say they can make these shots, but fail to mention the amount of time and dedication you need to get a perfect shot over a max of 40 yds.

I am not sure what these people boasting with these very long yardage shots want to achieve, but to a beginner you will give them expectations from the start that 90% will never achieve. Leaving wounded deer. We should be preaching the basic ranges, not what the glory hounds posting on YouTube can do. 

Why I find blood stained arrows sometimes and dead deer carcasses.  Know your self and stay within your comfort level.  There's no shame in that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ....rob said:

No debating here until you... Just people sharing their comfortable yardage at an animal

Edited by mattypotpie8S
  • Like 1