Please do not post pics with bait

gjs4

It is so irritating to see flagrant law breaking over and over on here....corn, salt, etc.....lets keep it to legal means guys/girls

I have an opinion on this. Trail cams are for scouting,to get some idea of deer movement.And to see what is there,when we aren't. Natural deer movement that is. Bringing them to an established bait site is not really helping the hunting part of it. I choose to pick random trails or agriculture field corners. A bait pile is not a guarantee anyway. I have friends in states ,where baiting is legal and they will tell ya the same thing. But the fact that it is illegal in ny.Means loss of hunting privledges and forfeiture of personal property. And your name smeared in the paper for all to see. Not worth it to me.

seems to be quite common to see some sort of bait or minerals in photos. which prooves my theory that more baiting goes on then willing to admit.

I think you must be right, if guys are willing to post up a picture on a public forum just imagine what goes on that doesn't see the light of day. Hell there was a guy that posted two stories about two bucks he had shot on here during bow season and it seems pretty clear that it was not legal, now that was ballsy.

LOL yeah i know...

and Cluv usually if you post up on this site 99% are from NY, hence huntingny.com

lol but yeah perhaps we should ask, never know where its coming from. the past few pics spotted have indeed come from NY and were admitted too tho... i guess its alo important that the individual posting pictures knows the habits and ethics of the guys he hunts with. 

LOL yeah i know...

and Cluv usually if you post up on this site 99% are from NY, hence huntingny.com

lol but yeah perhaps we should ask, never know where its coming from. the past few pics spotted have indeed come from NY and were admitted too tho... i guess its alo important that the individual posting pictures knows the habits and ethics of the guys he hunts with.

I agree Geno...I do know that there a some guys that hunt CT on here and it is legal in regions over there. Just saying. :)

It is so irritating to see flagrant law breaking over and over on here....corn, salt, etc.....lets keep it to legal means guys/girls

I have an opinion on this. Trail cams are for scouting,to get some idea of deer movement.And to see what is there,when we aren't. Natural deer movement that is. Bringing them to an established bait site is not really helping the hunting part of it. I choose to pick random trails or agriculture field corners. A bait pile is not a guarantee anyway. I have friends in states ,where baiting is legal and they will tell ya the same thing. But the fact that it is illegal in ny.Means loss of hunting privledges and forfeiture of personal property. And your name smeared in the paper for all to see. Not worth it to me.

I posted a video up the other week a buddy made without the knowledge he had a mineral pile in front of the trail cam heck I didn't even notice until it was brought up by a fellow forum follower.  My thought is that having a mineral or bait pile in front of a cam will bring more deer and result in more pics but I use my trail cam to pin point the regular travel routes of deer, baiting only brings them to the cam and when that food is gone there back to there usual route, so unless you are hunting over the bait what good is it to even bother using the bait just for a few more pics.  Makes more sense to me to position a came near a rub, scrape, or known travel route to catch deer in there nature movement.  This is what I am going to bring up to my friend when when we hang cams again for next hunting season.

"Nothing good comes from ill gotten gains"  Jackie Gleason

Totally agreed, and as far as I know this was the only instance bait was present, wasn't hunted over, wasn't used during the season.  Just put out for the Cam during pre-seaon scouting, doesn't make it right but I would have been pissed if I found out my guys bagged their bucks bc they used bait, I had to be the butt of jokes all season bc I only got 1 doe during shotgun but got her hunting the right way, legally.  Now I don't want to crucify my buddies because I have learned a lot from them, and other then this instance with mineral in front of his trail cam the only illegal slip up I've come across while hunting with this crew (all three of them had great success as you can see from those pics) When it comes to pictures with baiting its more of an irritation kind of like a "c'mon man" try getting those same pics without baiting, but not something I pull my hair out over.  Same irritation when I see states that allow feeders and you see pictures or shows with hunters who bag monster bucks while they eat from a bait pile, I guess its a sort of jealously bc they can argue well its legal, I get that but bc I grew up hunting this way I feel its the right way and any other way is cheating...almost like a steroids and baseball comparison.  See if you can hit 70 homers off the juice then we'll talk.

Here is one of a buck going to a scrape in an apple orchard...was fortunate enough to get him in the middle of nov. and one of some turkeys cleaning up seed from my 15' high bird feeder.. I don't consider this baiting but i will take advantage of the situation to get some nice pics....when the bird feeders get taken down this spring(or the bear climbs up on the deck and destroys them) the birds move on.

post-2018-131455419152_thumb.jpg

post-2018-131455419165_thumb.jpg

The snows melting and I caught  this single deer on a cam I put on a trail 150yrds from 5 running streams....between that and a two yr. old timber cut and pines....he seems to be the only one traveling ........Other than a squirrel that keeps triggering the camera........I say buck...but what do you think and what age do you think he'll be in fall?

In the fall I like to place my trail camera facing an apple tree that is dropping bushels of apples a week onto the ground. I also like to hang some doe lure about 15 feet in front of my set up during and after the breeding season. Another favorite set up is facing a farmers freshly picked corn field where there are dozens of bushells of dropped corn scattered about. During the winter months I have the camera set up in areas with a mix of pine cover and favored browse adjacent to picked corn fields.