Brush with Fame -- Kinda

moog5050

Growing up in NYC and having worked a couple of years in SoHo, I've bumped into quite a few.

Stephen Baldwin (sat on my jacket at a whiskey bar, when I told him, he apologized and handed me my jacket), Woody Allen and Mia Farrow (gave them a quick tour when I worked at the Bronx Zoo), Spike Lee (Lived near my HS so I saw him a couple of time per week), Famke Jansen, Harvey Keitel, Kristanna Loken, Felix Trinidad, Hillary Clinton (she was speaking at my old job's event and being in IT, I was working in the back scene when she was ushered in).

At specific meet and greet functions: Wayne Brady, Ian McKinnon, Patrick Stewart, Jason Kidd, Iman Shumpert, Steve Rinella (I grilled him on not having tried coyote yet on his meateater program).

Went snorkeling in Florida Keys and Brian Urlacher was on the same tour group.

Luis Polonia had a distant cousin who use to live near where I grew up so he showed up a few times when I was young.

I went to Michigan University so you encounter the athletes at frat parties or see them in the libraries, etc.  Never bumped into Tom Brady though.  Ones I remember (Maurice Taylor, Robert "Tractor" Traylor, Juwan Howard, Sam Sword, and Tyrone Wheatley)

Tracy Morgan bought a slice of pizza next to me.  I was waiting at the counter reading a book and all of a sudden some one stands next to me and put his arm next to me and I was immediately blinded by his diamond crusted bracelet.

But I guess the one story I will tell was once when I was working in SoHo, on my lunch break I went to a small boutique café.  It was tiny.  As I was sitting there eating, this really attractive woman sits next to me.  The café was so tiny that her arm was literally rubbing up against my arm as we ate.  The whole time I kept on thinking to myself...this woman is gorgeous and she reminds me of someone.  We never spoke and finished our meals.  Then someone comes up to her and asks "Hi, my name is Mike...can I have your autograph?" and she responds "Hi...I'm Rebecca.  Sure!" and she signs a napkin.  Minutes later, she pays and leaves the café.  I kept on thinking...Rebecca, Rebecca, Rebecca...who is Rebecca?"  Then it finally hits me.  Rebecca Gayheart.  Not many people know her and if you look her up now, she didn't age well, but when I had just reached puberty, she hit her peak when she did the Noxzema commercial...boy did I had a crush on her.

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Patrick_Stewart.jpg

• Like 2

Apparently I've lived a sheltered life, have NO celeb sightings. Like a lot of you had mentioned, most I wouldn't know if they sat next to me. Most I wouldn't cross the street to meet! I'd sort of  like to keep the illusion that most are just ordinary people & not the dreaded rich, celeb or athlete A-holes.

• Like 2

I guess, always living out in the sticks, I have been destined to never rub elbows with the rich and famous. Probably I wouldn't recognize most of them anyways if I just ran into them in a casual situation. However, I have seen a few C&W music stars (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard) on stage at concerts, and then there was the Dick Clark road show where he hosted a whole pile of R&R stars & groups back in the late 60's. And then there was the Everly Brothers concert out in Canandaigua. Sitting in the audience of those concerts were about as close as I've ever gotten to any kind of celebrities.

Edited by Doc

10 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I would have not known who he was Loved the Goonies too. Classic movie.
Years back while in Boca Raton staying in the infamous pink hotel for a work meeting. Took golf lessons from Jim Flick and met Jack Nicklaus. But the real kicker was we went to the Canadian ballet and tyed one on. Get into elevator. Another guy with us says " I think that's Hershel Walker" in a loud drunken stupor. Hershel replies " why yes , I am Hershel Walker " Funny at the time. It was weekend of Chris Everts charity event.
Day of my 20th HS reunion buddy flew home from LA sitting next to Ron Jeremy ( aka the hedgehog ) and then flight to NYC he had Leon Spinks behind him. He gets to reunion and is check out these pics Funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I met Hershel.  He is a nice guy too.

I also had the displeasure of shaking hands with Pres. Clinton.  He was at a resort we were staying at in Vegas.  Came up to us (probably since my wife was staring at him) and I felt obligated to at least stand and shake his hand.  He was very pleasant but I didn't like his actions as Pres.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Then it finally hits me.  Rebecca Gayheart.  Not many people know her and if you look her up now, she didn't age well, but when I had just reached puberty, she hit her peak when she did the Noxzema commercial...boy did I had a crush on her

She was gorgeous when younger ! Coincidence on marrying my wife who has hair like Rebecca? Maybe ,lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Don't feel bad. I wouldn't have known either, I just had to google him. My wife always has to point out the celebs to me when we see them in nyc, airports, or on our flights, I never know who anybody is. However, I did have valentine's day dinner in Greenwich and the guy next to me sounded very familiar. Finally, it hit me. It was Michael Kay. I told him I was a red sox fan, he laughed and we talked for a little bit. He was surprisingly pretty cool, so was his wife.

Haha I had to do the same thing, still don't know him from any movie(s).

• Like 1

I met Hershel.  He is a nice guy too.

I also had the displeasure of shaking hands with Pres. Clinton.  He was at a resort we were staying at in Vegas.  Came up to us (probably since my wife was staring at him) and I felt obligated to at least stand and shake his hand.  He was very pleasant but I didn't like his actions as Pres.

This clown? I've eaten at a table near him on several occasions. He lives in Westchester. I never shake his hand or even acknowledge him.

9f4913a9bf012b219f8ab04fae44620e.jpg

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This clown? I've eaten at a table near him on several occasions. He lives in Westchester. I never shake his hand or even acknowledge him.

9f4913a9bf012b219f8ab04fae44620e.jpg

I'd have a hard time keeping my food down, just hearing his voice!

I'd have a hard time keeping my food down, just hearing his voice!

Yea. It's not fun sitting near him. Though I have to say most people from NYC or Westchester (non tourists) don't freak out about seeing celebrities. Most just ignore them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea. It's not fun sitting near him. Though I have to say most people from NYC or Westchester (non tourists) don't freak out about seeing celebrities. Most just ignore them.

They are just people like the rest of us

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

They are just people like the rest of us

I agree. Although when I saw DMX lose $25K in 1 game of pool at a bar, I was blown away. It was about 10 years ago so I was like 22 at the time. Watching someone part with $25K cash after a brief game of pool was pretty crazy to me at the time.

By the way, DMX is pretty small but his bodyguards were huge. He was a cool dude and at that time was a frequent visitor to many locals bars/restaurants. Very distinct voice.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Many years ago we had a huge restaurant/bar called the Pier, then it became Breakers right down on the Lake Erie  On any given weekend night there would be thousands of people there. One night after pretty deep in the captain and cokes I went to the bathroom. Jim Kelly was there whizzing in the urinal next to me. Wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. Thought for a second " I can pee in Jim Kelly's boots, nobody in the world could say they've ever done that." Then quickly thought " nobody in the world could ever claim to have a broken jaw for doing it either"  I refrained. lol

Side note: another time I was there we and the thousands of people there were all watching  the OJ chase in the Bronco

I used to rep Arizona Tea, got to go to Latrobe and spend two days with Arnold Palmer. That was fantastic hes as nice and down to earth as you could imagine. We got to tour his warehouses and office, play the course a couple times and have cocktails and dinner with him. Truly unforgettable to a big golf fan like me. I worked at Macys in Herald Square when I was 21 and saw lots of celebs. The one day I called in sick Chris Farley came in and spent time at our counter, I was VERY upset about missing that lol. Most celebs I couldnt care less about but that was disappointing

I've met a lot of politicians especially ones representing this area.  not too many movie stars at all.

my wife's boss met eli manning while he was at camp here in Albany.  she's not up on football at all.  she was talking with him basically alone and just thought he was another SUNY Albany college student.  he thought is was great and hiliarious.  she told her other half about the encounter with said player still not knowing who the player was.  her other half flipped sh*t as he's a Giants fan.

I've met a lot of popular hunting personalities.... Larry weishuhn aka Mr. Whitetail, Don and Kandy Kisky, John and Gina Brunson, Greg Ritz, Lee and Tiffany Lakosky, whole Bone Collector crew, Chris Brackett, Tim Andrus (Realtree Pro/Rush Outdoors TV Host), QDMA associated folks, etc.

9 hours ago, Elmo said:

Growing up in NYC and having worked a couple of years in SoHo, I've bumped into quite a few.

Stephen Baldwin (sat on my jacket at a whiskey bar, when I told him, he apologized and handed me my jacket), Woody Allen and Mia Farrow (gave them a quick tour when I worked at the Bronx Zoo), Spike Lee (Lived near my HS so I saw him a couple of time per week), Famke Jansen, Harvey Keitel, Kristanna Loken, Felix Trinidad, Hillary Clinton (she was speaking at my old job's event and being in IT, I was working in the back scene when she was ushered in).

At specific meet and greet functions: Wayne Brady, Ian McKinnon, Patrick Stewart, Jason Kidd, Iman Shumpert, Steve Rinella (I grilled him on not having tried coyote yet on his meateater program).

Went snorkeling in Florida Keys and Brian Urlacher was on the same tour group.

Luis Polonia had a distant cousin who use to live near where I grew up so he showed up a few times when I was young.

I went to Michigan University so you encounter the athletes at frat parties or see them in the libraries, etc.  Never bumped into Tom Brady though.  Ones I remember (Maurice Taylor, Robert "Tractor" Traylor, Juwan Howard, Sam Sword, and Tyrone Wheatley)

Tracy Morgan bought a slice of pizza next to me.  I was waiting at the counter reading a book and all of a sudden some one stands next to me and put his arm next to me and I was immediately blinded by his diamond crusted bracelet.

But I guess the one story I will tell was once when I was working in SoHo, on my lunch break I went to a small boutique café.  It was tiny.  As I was sitting there eating, this really attractive woman sits next to me.  The café was so tiny that her arm was literally rubbing up against my arm as we ate.  The whole time I kept on thinking to myself...this woman is gorgeous and she reminds me of someone.  We never spoke and finished our meals.  Then someone comes up to her and asks "Hi, my name is Mike...can I have your autograph?" and she responds "Hi...I'm Rebecca.  Sure!" and she signs a napkin.  Minutes later, she pays and leaves the café.  I kept on thinking...Rebecca, Rebecca, Rebecca...who is Rebecca?"  Then it finally hits me.  Rebecca Gayheart.  Not many people know her and if you look her up now, she didn't age well, but when I had just reached puberty, she hit her peak when she did the Noxzema commercial...boy did I had a crush on her.

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Patrick_Stewart.jpg

Ha - this is funny - I kid you not - I've been kissed by Rebecca Gayheart. Don't read too much into it, lol. I was younger and she starred in a film with Bruce Lee's son (I think) before he died. Their condo/apartment in the film was actually a family friend's place that was just built and they blew up a car outside of it in the film. I got to meet all of them and got a pic of her kissing me on the cheek. She was super nice and wow o wow...gorgeous. I have no idea where that pic is today.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I know that hotel as my buddies grandfather is a member there as well as Boca Grove. I go once a year.

Anyway, on the topic of my golf. 50-60 something years when my grandfather lived in North Tonawanda and played golf a lot, he went to a local golf club in western NY and watched Palmer, Nicklaus, and 2 other pros play a round. Less than 30 people showed up so he walked and talked with them the whole day. Maybe Lancaster CC or audobon? One of those courses.

Biz, it was August 15th ,1966 at Lancaster CC. My dad was superintendent out there at the time. Palmer , Nicklaus, Dean Beman and Doug Sanders. Arnie shot 67. Pfft I've shot numerous 67's out there and a couple of 66's lol.

Being in the golf business forever I've played with a lot of the Buffalo Sabres over the years

Grant Fuhr/ Matt Barnaby/Michael Peca/Alexander Molginy/Tom Barrasso/Tony Mckegney/Rick Martin/Don Edwards/Tom Barasso/Dave Andreychuck/ and probably missing a few others. Quite a few rounds with Barnaby and Martin. Martin was a class act unlike Barnaby .Rick was always telling jokes, could putt like no other. Handsy putter but it worked.

Fished Bert Dam with Geoff Sanderson, Rhett Warner and Rob Ray. My buddy was working in the Sabres equipment with Ripp. I drove in the back of the Sabres equipment truck with all the gear lol

• Like 2

Congrats on kiss. Do I get any credit for banging Cameran Eubanks in 2005 after she made an appearance at a bar I was at. She was there after being on the popular MTV "Real World" show. Now, she's back on TV on some Southern reality TV show.

• Like 1

Biz, it was August 15th ,1966 at Lancaster CC. My dad was superintendent out there at the time. Palmer , Nicklaus, Dean Beman and Doug Sanders. Arnie shot 67. Pfft I've shot numerous 67's out there and a couple of 66's lol.

Being in the golf business forever I've played with a lot of the Buffalo Sabres over the years

Grant Fuhr/ Matt Barnaby/Michael Peca/Alexander Molginy/Tom Barrasso/Tony Mckegney/Rick Martin/Don Edwards/Tom Barasso/Dave Andreychuck/ and probably missing a few others. Quite a few rounds with Barnaby and Martin. Martin was a class act unlike Barnaby .Rick was always telling jokes, could putt like no other. Handsy putter but it worked.

Fished Bert Dam with Geoff Sanderson, Rhett Warner and Rob Ray. My buddy was working in the Sabres equipment with Ripp. I drove in the back of the Sabres equipment truck with all the gear lol

If I'm not mistaken, my grandfather has a few of those big plate trophies from winning events at Lancaster CC. They are all oxidized and hard to read, but I'll have to have him dig them up one day and take a picture.

18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats on kiss. Do I get any credit for banging Cameran Eubanks in 2005 after she made an appearance at a bar I was at. She was there after being on the popular MTV "Real World" show. Now, she's back on TV on some Southern reality TV show.

met some of those MTV stars and from road rules too.  not all reality tv stars are equal.  reality TV is kind of hit or miss but you'd get credit from me. 

separate direction from "bangin".... two of my cousins have met a ton of the deadliest catch show capt and crew.  lol.... ok people but crazy as bat sh*t and have their issues I guess.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, phade said:

Ha - this is funny - I kid you not - I've been kissed by Rebecca Gayheart. Don't read too much into it, lol. I was younger and she starred in a film with Bruce Lee's son (I think) before he died. Their condo/apartment in the film was actually a family friend's place that was just built and they blew up a car outside of it in the film. I got to meet all of them and got a pic of her kissing me on the cheek. She was super nice and wow o wow...gorgeous. I have no idea where that pic is today.

That would be Vanishing Son?  Vanishing Son is Russell Wong and not Brandon Lee.  Brandon had already passed by that time.

8 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Apparently I've lived a sheltered life, have NO celeb sightings. Like a lot of you had mentioned, most I wouldn't know if they sat next to me. Most I wouldn't cross the street to meet! I'd sort of  like to keep the illusion that most are just ordinary people & not the dreaded rich, celeb or athlete A-holes.

All the ones I've mentioned I've had some sort of interaction with ranging from simply handshake to sharing a drink/conversation with.  They are all very kind, humble, and average people who for the most part, wants to be treated like an average person and wants to be left alone.  Most of them are not as attractive in real life and a lot smaller.  Only exceptions was Brian Urlacher (The dude was ginormous) and Famke Janssen who looks prettier in real life and while she wore high heels, I was literally only up to her shoulder.

I'm not star struck either and I often try to leave them alone as well.  You can't live in NYC and not run into a film set but I never wait around for a change to meet the stars.  I'll just peek over to see who it is but then move on with my day.  Saw Will Smith (Men In Black III), Sylvester Stallone (Cop Land), Denzel Washington (Inside Man), and Sarah Jessica Parker (Sex In The City) but since I never actually interacted with them, I can't comment on them.