Umbrellas

Buck_shooter

Since it's supposed to be pretty wet this weekend I was thinking about rigging up a golf umbrella to strap onto the tree above me. Just curious if anybody has ever tried this and if it has been a problem or not. Sometimes I'll hunt from the ground rather than a stand and not sure if the black umbrella will stand out like a sore thumb at ground level or not. I'd like to stay dry but also don't want to draw any more attention to myself. Maybe I could paint it camo? Open to any other suggestions or ideas to stay dry.

There are quite a few options online as to style. I see some are like a half dome kind of thing, some look like standard umbrellas and others are flat looking roofs. I'm looking for something relatively easy to set up and take down so I don't have to leave it out.  Biggest  concern is still just being seen at ground level if I decide not to hunt in a treestand. I'd rather be wet than spook everything that comes in.

All 3 of mine have a notch that fits around tree. Screw in holder , insert umbrella and secure with a strap for winds. Can use as blind in front of you if on ground too. Killed quite a few turkeys with it above my head. Deer won't spook . Bought mine at Dicks. Maybe 30 seconds to put up and same to take down 

If there's just a risk of a passing shower, or on and off showers, and I don't feel like wearing my raingear, I just take along the umbrella and screw the support bracket into the tree. If it starts to rain, I'll open up the umbrella. Easy-peasy and keeps me dry! :rolleyes:

It's nice during gun season, to keep rain and snow off the gun and scope.

I ordered on from Amazon yesterday ($17).  I have a couple nice waterproof blinds at home in the Southern zone, but I need something for early ML up in the Adirondacks in a couple more weeks.  I borrowed one from a friend last year and it worked pretty good.  It is especially good for ML hunting where you must "keep your powder dry".    I did not see any deer while sitting under it last year, for a couple hours during a heavy downpour, but I did get a glimpse of a bear in the distance.  

The only deer I saw on that hunt was a 1-1/2 year forkhorn, just after the rain ended.  He needed another year to get a shot from me, but it was nice to be dry and in position for the shot while stillhunting, thanks to that umbrella.  Had I waited out the storm in the cabin, there would have been no sightings for me up there during ML season last year.   I only had a long weekend up there then, but it looks like I will have the full week this year.   I expect that new umbrella will get a workout with rain in the long-term forecast as far out as it goes right now.