S&W out of running for new US combat handgun

Link didn't mention any others still in the running to become the next generation US combat handgun, but S&W was definitely eliminated. Possibly the next gen of Beretta's M9, the M9A3.

Was in the market for a home defense handgun and all the reviews, being combat tested pointed to one of the versions of Beretta's M9 platform. Really tried like it & to put its' cost aside, but it was super beefy for having around the home. Can see its' allure in combat situations! IMHO, not something I'd want to pack around all day either. Slick handgun all the same!

Any of you vets have any input on the M9 or it being the front runner for next gen combat handgun?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/26/investing/smith-wesson-army-gun/index.html?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

I'm not a fan of it. I shot it well at our qualifications. But the grip is large, and I thought in general it felt bulky. I've owned a sig p229, and I think that would have been a great combat carry gun. It's heavy but great sights, good trigger, and a comfortable grip. If your looking for a home defense pistol glock are incredibly popular for a reason. They are very accurate and incredibly reliable. I would look at glock, springfield xd, smith and wesson m&p. Non are really expensive and all have a proven track record.

My favorite pistols are Sigs... P226 and P238/938. For carry, I use the Sigs or a Ruger SP101in .357 Mag. For home defense, I have a Taurus Judge loaded with 000 buck. At close range, it's devastating... and won't shoot through several walls either. 

Call me a fanboy but I am a big glock guy. I have shot a ton of ammo through my glock and it just keeps chugging away round by round others not so much and needed to be cleaned more often. I would love to see a Glock in the hands of the best maybe it will put those "What is the best pistol?" arguments. Honestly I am surprised to see S&W out of the race they are one of the best and have been around the block a few times.

Unfortunately I don't think it is all about reliability but also price.

See, my Sig 2340 is my least favorite I own. Trigger's gotta be 12 pounds . I'm off the target before it goes bang. I guess I could get it worked on I suppose. 

Love my Beretta 92 and Springfield X D in 357 sig might be my favorite 

wonder if H & K is in the mix for US combat handgun 

FNH chambered in that wonky round similar to a .17 intrigues me. Maybe BS but I once heard civilians can only buy  hollow points for it as FMJ's are so freakin fast with no expansion they penetrate even the best body armor. 

See, my Sig 2340 is my least favorite I own. Trigger's gotta be 12 pounds . I'm off the target before it goes bang. I guess I could get it worked on I suppose. 

FNH chambered in that wonky round similar to a .17 intrigues me. Maybe BS but I once heard civilians can only buy  hollow points for it as FMJ's are so freakin fast with no expansion they penetrate even the best body armor. 

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I think they make drop in triggers for the sigs. My S&W SD9VE has an 8lbs. trigger and yes it is heavy but not unbearable. I have a S&W Bodyguard and that thing is insane on the length and pull of the trigger but it is a double action pistol so the firing mechanism is similar to that of a revolver making it a heavy trigger. Once you have a light trigger it is tough to shoot the heavier ones, but seems to be the opposite if you start heavy and go light.

I really want an FNH in .40 but the price has kept me from buying one. For the price of one I could get 2 glocks, but they are really nice guns.

I always shot the m9 very well. I have a beretta 90-2 beside my bed because of the thousands of rounds I have shot with the m9. They aren't carry guns but they are excellent pull trigger go boom guns.

I don't like depending on a handgun for anything they are proven to be terrible killers, but they are handy. My bedside pistol is there to get me to my shotgun "also very close to my bed."

If I was looking for a bed gun it would be something that felt very right in my hand and all controls felt natural. When your still have asleep is not when you want to be fumbling for a safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Looks like the Sig Sauer's P320 pistol may be the Beretta M9's replacement as the US Army's issued sidearm. IRC, the USN Seal Teams already use Sigs...!?! Been 10yrs in the process of finding a replacement for the M9, so I wouldn't expect this to happen overnight.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/army-new-pistol-sig-sauer/index.html

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Was at Cabela's yesterday. Guy behind gun counter was telling a guy looking at a Sig this. 

Side note : Ruger lcr in .357 was looking pretty good for my safe   .

By getting the .357 version , you gain a few ounces over the .38 .

Many choose it to run .38 in as the extra oz.  helps tame recoil over the .38 version , plus you still have the .358 option .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I don't believe the 2 are connected in any way. Sig is based out of Germany. They make great pistols, and that's why the u.s. didn't pick them up the last time the m9 was up to be replaced, too costly.

Though they are still made in New Hampshire?

i used to keep tabs on this but nothing was really happening.  M9 variants were never going to cut it based on reports. bandaid fix and army wanted something different.  striker fire, basically modular to fit a saskwatch or a pygmy, and other requirements.  I don't have too many pistols like many pistol owners, but i did pony up for a high end Sig.  i got a P226 elite scorpion.  only 9mm but operates and handles like a dream.  nicest pistol trigger i own and is quick reset.  if it's good enough for a frogman it's good enough for me.  it's a really nice pistol but should be for what i paid for it.

9 hours ago, bisceglia said:

well sig it is, i just read that they have won the army contract. 

Finally a good quality pistol with many options for our warriors. At first I thought that I wont like the DAO trigger on my P250 but now I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm sure the Army guys will like this change to P320.