Stoneam2006 2016 hunt and trap

stoneam2006

I know nothing about preparing fur so just wondering. What caused all the holes and that decreases value quite a bit right?

Fleshing knife caused them bc I am not very good yet. Basically trying to take all fat and meat from skinning off taking it down to just skin. And year value dropped for sure but luckily there wasn't any money to begin with. The fur market is terrible

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm curious as to what makes a good fur price year or a bad fur price year? Is it simply, supply and demand, like most things?

Most of it has to do with Russia . Maybe China too. They sort of control the fur market I believe

Ranched mink for sure. Not sure but Stone may be able to chime in with more detail

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm curious as to what makes a good fur price year or a bad fur price year? Is it simply, supply and demand, like most things?

Grampy

Just like everything else it is supply & demand. It has been bad for quite awhile because of Russia's economy being in the toilet. Since they do the vast majority of buying along with China there hasn't been a solid market for quite some time. Odds are it won't come back anytime soon because there are so may furs in storage bought on speculation that if the market does come back it will immediately be flooded with furs. A lot of buyers have bought fur at extremely low prices, fleshed, stretched, dried them, and put them in cold storage anticipating a market comeback.

• Like 3

Wouldn't the air compressor trick from You tube work in skinning? Seems like it just separates the skin from meat and fat in the videos. I'm sure there will be some spots with meat left on it but It seems to work for deer, why not something smaller.

Wouldn't the air compressor trick from You tube work in skinning? Seems like it just separates the skin from meat and fat in the videos. I'm sure there will be some spots with meat left on it but It seems to work for deer, why not something smaller.

Yea I'm sure it would help but deer are lean animals by a long ways com0ared to say a coon or beaver. If I catch another one I'll take a pic of the fat layer on them it's bad. I rough skin they call it basically quick skinning then fleshing it off. Can skin it closer and that helps alot to. But the real problem is that I'm just not good at it yet. Some guys are quick and make it look easy lol. I've got alot to learn

• Like 1

Well guys I wish I had pics for you but I ain't catching nothin lol. Yotes dragged my bait station off and now I can't find it beaver not running their runs and muskrat have yet to make aperance. Weather is killing me 2 times in 2 weeks I've gone from 2 feet to grass. Water trapping is impossible in this. Hope ice gets thick quick so I can try and grab the predators on the ice. If your interested check out Jeff Dunlap YouTube videos on trapping predators on ice it's cool stuff hope to try it out

Ah. You forgot to wire baitpile down.  
You going to try the hay set on the ice ? Drill hole thru ice with earth anchor , drop it thru and let refreeze. 

Yea pretty much the extent of the set bed it in ice cover with hay or peat. The creeks become highways for them the fox are already walking the edges but I can't get to other side yet lol. Hopefully soon

Nice fur. I hunted last night from midnight til 3Am with no eyes spotted. The moon was a bit brighter than I would have liked, but I was sure the cold would have them hungry enough to investigate the Fox Pro.

Seems they have been moving hard down here last 3 nights track everywhere