TC Prohunter Accuracy

eagle rider

Anyone know what to expect from TC Prohunter rifles looking at one in either 270 Win or 30-06.  But if the accuracy is anything north of 1.5" at 100 yds It's not gonna be good for me.  I had one a while back and I didn't;t get great results, but I've heard that something have improved since S&W took TCA over.  Any info is appreciated.  

Same here as I've never gotten rifle barrels for my TC Prohunter.  I've thought about it just haven't yet.  My muzzleloader barrel was insanely accurate at one time.  had some weather get to it a little and it no longer has a mirror finish inside.  definitely still subMOA but prior to that I could throw 3 sabots into a single hole.  I'd imagine rifles are just as accurate especially if you can hand load something for them.

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

check the hinge pins , many need 1x or 2x to get better accuracy . 

http://bellmtcs.com/store/

You would be better off finding one made in pre buy out .

The hinge pin doesnt affect accuracy if you are using a scope. The scope is mounted to the barrel The hinge pin connects the barrel to the frame (trigger, hammer and grip)

The hinge pin doesnt affect accuracy if you are using a scope. The scope is mounted to the barrel The hinge pin connects the barrel to the frame (trigger, hammer and grip)

Yes but it will allow movement in the barrel if the lockup is loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just recently got my feet wet with the Thompson Center Encore, I purchased a Predator which is completely camo finished  in 223 cal in the spring and recently picked up a 22-250 barrel in stainless which is pictured on the receiver below. So far I really like the rifle and both barrels have been shooting 3 shot groups at around the inch mark with some handloads I quickly put up. Shooting pretty well with minimal load development so I am pretty sure I can get this rifle tuned in better after a winter project of installing  a Bellm tune up kit which creates a better lock time, better lockup at the hinge and locking bolts and also a better trigger pull which is the biggest shortcoming for me. Might be a real tack driver when it is done. All and all a very nice rifle with great build quality and pretty good accuracy.

Al

004_zpscvgf8wmm.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

It doesn't affect the accuracy as far as the barrel to scope are concerned , it makes for a less accurate gun if the stock and the barrel have play between the two ,unless you hold the barrel with two hands and take the stock completely out of the equation. Who could honestly figure how much less accurate it would be but i know i would not want a stock and barrel that have play between the two.

I've owned 2 TC prohunters, one in 7mm mag and another in 7mm-08 and neither one shot worth a damn. 2-3" groups were good groups out of both of mine, that's with spending a couple hundred on ammo trying to find a sweet spot, never did. I wanted so bad to like these rifles but the accuracy was terrible, I won't try a third time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Yes but it will allow movement in the barrel if the lockup is loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The barrel can move in comparison to the frame, yes, but it doesnt move in comparison to the scope, which is what you are aiming with. It doesnt affect accuracy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It doesn't affect the accuracy as far as the barrel to scope are concerned , it makes for a less accurate gun if the stock and the barrel have play between the two ,unless you hold the barrel with two hands and take the stock completely out of the equation. Who could honestly figure how much less accurate it would be but i know i would not want a stock and barrel that have play between the two.

The forearm is also attached to the barrel. There is no movement there. Just the hammer, frame and grip. Ive had a couple of Encores, and they have been sub MOA with no upgraded hinge pin. I know of at least 6 other guys that have them, and none of them have any accuracy issues, or cutsom hinge pins.

Actually anything in contact wit the casing can effect accuracy. A loose lock up can leave a gap  that can change the accuracy of a round. really would be no different than a bolt face on a bolt action being back to far. I don't believe it is very common to have this issue on a new Encore. I have heard about it in guns that have had a lot of use with a lot of barrel changes. 

I have a ML barrel that the gun was originally purchased as. I have since added a 223 barrel, a 15" 308 pistol barrel and I just found and bought an heavy contour 308 from the era when they were still made in Rochester NH. no fluting and in pristine shape. Can't wait to try that out. everyone of these barrels are SUB MOA. Like with so many other "no accurate" stories I hear, so many people buy a gun and then cheap out on the mounts and glass. If any of you guys want to get rid of your inaccurate Encore barrels, drop me a PM. lol

so my getting my hinge pin in and out is the longest part of breaking down the gun.  can't make one with a tighter tolerance and it's stock.  I'm sure there's some lemons there.  for really little cost you could have any machine shop make you a better one.  that said it's probably hopeless and you should probably sell it to one of us on here who's a sucker to take.... real cheap of course. lol

I have a few T/C Encores/Prohunters and everyone shoots sub MOA. I have a .257 Roberts, 209x50 barrel, 17 Remington, and .338 Federal. I hated the idea of changing barrels so I bought frames for each barrel. All of my T/C's were bought before S&W bought and gutted the T/C line. Cannot vouch for the quality and accuracy now BUT I would not part with any of my T/C's, well possibly the 17 Remington??

Blackpowder28