Somebody shot my deer...

WNY Bowhunter

I am currently reading Eberhart's Buck on hunting high pressured White-tails. He has a story about an amazing Buck called the Wheezer. After 4 years he manages to harvest it. This is what he finds inside:

Upon skinning him, I discovered a twelve-gauge slug in his right hind quarter, two buckshot pellets in his neck, and a two-and-a-half-inch broadhead with two inches of aluminum shaft buried in his left shoulder. The arrow had entered above his right shoulder just below the spine and passed through the tenderloin, and then clipped the top of his left lung and buried into his left shoulder. I am quite certain that whoever took that shot assumed they had killed him. The broadhead was covered with cartilage, and the wound was at least one year old. These wounds show just how much hunting pressure there is in the area the Wheezer called home. He had eight points, an eighteen-inch inside spread, and a dressed weight of 178 pounds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, backbeach said:

Shot this bucklast year and found a swacker in his skull,found out later that a guy arrowed him chasing a doe but he turned at the last minute and hit him in the skull.The swacker just missed his brain cavity he seemed fine a month later.IMG_0277.jpgIMG_0268.JPG

That is crazy.

15 hours ago, backbeach said:

Shot this bucklast year and found a swacker in his skull,found out later that a guy arrowed him chasing a doe but he turned at the last minute and hit him in the skull.The swacker just missed his brain cavity he seemed fine a month later.IMG_0277.jpgIMG_0268.JPG

Holy Hell!!

I saw a lot of odd things when I used to butcher deer professionally. I remember once I was skinning a deer, I was in a hurry, not paying a whole lot of attention. I noticed a LOT of fresh looking blood all over the floor where I was working, it took me a realize that it was MY blood, I had sliced my finger open on a broadhead that was stuck in a deer's backbone (deer was killed during PA rifle season). Yes, they are incredibly tough animals.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1