What happened to the Xbow inclusion thread?

Steuben Jerry

You in 8X or 8Y? That is where I hunt and I can agree I see the same doe almost every sit and not any others maybe 1 buck if I'm lucky and that is on a 300 acre tract of land. On the state border WMU's you generally get 1 tag for that WMU then Pref. Points for the 2nd.

9x and it's pp required for first the none none none I had 3 pp and got denied this year I haven't had my own doe tag in 3 years...I see lots of doe every sit idk why so low probably bc everyone hunts bow muzzle gun so I imagine alot of mz tags get filled and take from quota

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, phade said:

The point remains - you are spewing garbage. 95% of archery hunters turns into xbow? Ohio has a long history of xbow and they're maybe 50% of the group. They can also hunt from Sept to Feb.

Fear mongering. The generalizations you use are mind boggling.

And it's only on private ground...

The point is  I'm sure your numbers  are off by about 45% but I'm not going to dabate you about it because everyone knows that  is not what's going to happen  

Here are some facts for you LJC, although I am not sure you will comprehend much of what was written by the author. In short, it ruins all the fictitious claims you have repeatedly made without backing up. Crossbows are good for archery. I am as hardcore vertical compound as they get and will not use a crossbow but support full inclusion based on the facts that are out there.

http://www.ohiohuntclub.com/club/support.pdf

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LJC said:

The point is  I'm sure your numbers  are off by about 45% but I'm not going to dabate you about it because everyone knows that  is not what's going to happen  

58% according to the Ohio DNR.

Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to be really ignorant.

• Like 3

I beg to differ on that part. Look at the number of deer killed with a x-bow since inclusion it started at a low percentage and slowly doubled now in the upper 80% range meaning that after full inclusion that was the weapon of choice and deer harvest numbers went up. I will try and find the graph that was put out by the PA game commission at the moment it is eluding me.

I would like to see that. Over harvest was always my biggest concern with full inclusion. Populations were already low in my area when x bows were legalized so I didn't personally see any further drop in population nor did anyone I know. Most of the arguments I've heard either for or against inclusion are based on feelings and opinions only so I would gladly be proven wrong with the facts.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jmp209 said:

I would like to see that. Over harvest was always my biggest concern with full inclusion. Populations were already low in my area when x bows were legalized so I didn't personally see any further drop in population nor did anyone I know. Most of the arguments I've heard either for or against inclusion are based on feelings and opinions only so I would gladly be proven wrong with the facts.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2013/10/10/some-fret-about-high-crossbow-harvest/

Read through that article and the numbers are there. Over harvest is not a concern to PA DNR with reguards to xbows. 

43 minutes ago, phade said:

58% according to the Ohio DNR.

Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to be really ignorant.

And growing every year starting from 0 a 58% growth rate is alot  but  I just looked that up I can't find any such stat more bullshit as usual  please post a source link  or cut the bs please . If that were true then why are so many pushing for it just get a bow then . :mda:

Edited by LJC

http://www.outdoornews.com/2013/10/10/some-fret-about-high-crossbow-harvest/
Read through that article and the numbers are there. Over harvest is not a concern to PA DNR with reguards to xbows. 

There are slight differences in the structure of seasons and tags between the two states though. They're not worried about antlerless numbers being impacted at all in PA but ALL antlerless licenses in PA are area specific unlike NY's bow/muzzle tags. So they are more in control of where the antlerless deer are being taken during the archery season. The article states a possible concern for too many bucks being taken pre rut and not getting a chance to breed which could also potentially reduce deer numbers. The numbers show there is no major concern with that in PA but they also have an antler restriction that NY does not. Maybe these variables mean nothing but they also may make a huge difference between how x bows would affect populations between the two different states.

1 hour ago, phade said:

The point remains - you are spewing garbage. 95% of archery hunters turns into xbow? Ohio has a long history of xbow and they're maybe 50% of the group. They can also hunt from Sept to Feb.

Fear mongering. The generalizations you use are mind boggling.

And it's only on private ground...

Come on phade, dont let silly things like facts get in the way of some good old fashioned chicken little stories!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LJC said:

And growing every year starting from 0 a 58% growth rate is alot  but  I just looked that up I can't find any such stat more bullshit as usual  please post a source link  or cut the bs please . If that were true then why are so many pushing for it just get a bow then . :mda:

0 to 58% in how many years? Not the doom and gloom you keep professing there chicken little.

Even if the number was 95 what's the big deal? They were given a choice not forced. The ones who didn't to use a crossbow don't. Those who did had that choice and made. If everyone switches to cross yet you still have the choice which u will then stay with your bow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Even if the number was 95 what's the big deal? They were given a choice not forced. The ones who didn't to use a crossbow don't. Those who did had that choice and made. If everyone switches to cross yet you still have the choice which u will then stay with your bow.

Stubby nails it on the head.  Its not guns blazing away so it doesn't hurt the nature of the season and then to each his own on what implement they choose.  Some seem to think its going to cause huge masses of the crossbow army to invade the woods, but I seriously doubt that.  Its already in for the last two weeks which is the best part of the archery season anyways.  Don't recall any major issues last year resulting from those two weeks.  Why should I care if the xbow can be used Oct. 1?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I will say that in PA it started out slow and it increased quickly in the first 5 years to the point where over 80% of deer taken during archery season were with a crossbow. @WNYBuckHunter what is your reason for wanting full inclusion so badly?

But if its the same hunters that just chose an easier tool, who cares.  Less wounded deer.  Amen to that. Even an uptick in the number of hunters isn't a big deal.  In fact, it may help to some extent recruit the next generation which we all know is sorely lacking.  Some of those may choose to "regress" to compounds or even longbows and recurves as they progress in their hunting.  Lets work towards more inclusion so long as it doesn't harm the nature of the season (quiet and close range).  Heck, my kids may never want to put in the time I do to shoot a bow (although my daughter is getting deadly with her longbow).  If they can hunt with me with a crossbow, I am all for it.  Hunting should be fun.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Stubby nails it on the head.  Its not guns blazing away so it doesn't hurt the nature of the season and then to each his own on what implement they choose.  Some seem to think its going to cause huge masses of the crossbow army to invade the woods, but I seriously doubt that.  Its already in for the last two weeks which is the best part of the archery season anyways.  Don't recall any major issues last year resulting from those two weeks.  Why should I care if the xbow can be used Oct. 1?

Same situation with the youth gun hunt in archery season. Sky was falling on that too and I haven't heard a shot in the last two years on those days...lol

23 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I will say that in PA it started out slow and it increased quickly in the first 5 years to the point where over 80% of deer taken during archery season were with a crossbow. @WNYBuckHunter what is your reason for wanting full inclusion so badly?

Pretty simple ....Choice and it is archery equipment.  Why are you so against it?  Nothing personal but I find the majority of the people are against it dance around the real reason they oppose it and that usually boils down to feeling that someone will have an advantage over them in getting a deer or, heaven forbid, a big buck. Again, more worried about what others are doing than gauging their own hunting happiness based on their own experience. I may choose to use a crossbow down the road when i can no longer pull a compound. Have even considered a recurve. I can only see me picking a crossbow up prior to that if there was an opportunity to expand my hunting season. 

13 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Can you post some links to back that statement up?

I have quite a few reasons. Ive stated them all before, but Ill recap the biggest ones for ya.

Im all about freedom of choice, and less shoving things down peoples throats. I realize that crossbows are just another form of archery equipment. They kill the same way, using the same power, at similar distances and they require the same level of woodsmanship skills to be a consistently effective tool. I see absolutely no reason to keep them separate.

I know of quite a few people that cant draw legal weight for one reason or the other, but dont qualify for any aid or anything like that. They should be able to hunt. I also realize that one of these days I myself will get to a point where I cant draw a bow anymore, and I would still like to be able to hunt through my favorite deer season.

I also know lots of guys that bow hunt that dont have the time to put the proper amount of practice in, but they go out there anyhow and make awful shots on deer year in and year out. They gut shoot them, lose them, leave them to lay and rot. I know that nothing in nature truly goes to waste, but those bad shots have a tendency of reflecting badly upon our sport. I would rather see those guys be allowed to use something that they can put deer on the ground with in an ethical manor. You can say those guys should practice more, and thump your chest until its black and blue, but its not going to stop it from happening.

27 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

But if its the same hunters that just chose an easier tool, who cares.  Less wounded deer.  Amen to that. Even an uptick in the number of hunters isn't a big deal.  In fact, it may help to some extent recruit the next generation which we all know is sorely lacking.  Some of those may choose to "regress" to compounds or even longbows and recurves as they progress in their hunting.  Lets work towards more inclusion so long as it doesn't harm the nature of the season (quiet and close range).  Heck, my kids may never want to put in the time I do to shoot a bow (although my daughter is getting deadly with her longbow).  If they can hunt with me with a crossbow, I am all for it.  Hunting should be fun.

+1.....out of likes.

• Like 1