Scope choices..

Again just looking for opinions, and yes some of my guns I care how they look, why idk.. but others I could care less.. these 2 rifles I won mean more to me than any gun I own so I guess I'm just looking for ideas and opinions.
My father was supposed to be with me at this banquet and he couldn't since his life was taken suddenly at an intersection. And never ever winning anything in my life before, these 2 winnings mean the world to me...

The other gun was a Henry big boy 45-70 gold, custom engraved. The gun I've always wanted since being a youngster. And no I won't be putting a scope on this one lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking at the photo of your rifle it appears to be a very nice fast handling sporter that will make a great Deer killer. I have several high magnification scopes and some have a large objective lens but they are all on varmint rifles or target guns for which I use for very long range shooting at small targets like Chucks, Crows and Squirrels along with some precision target shooting.

For me I would want to keep with the theme of the rifle and mate it a quality fast handling scope with some magnification but not too much and a big field of view with good eye relief. As I have written here several times I am a huge Leupold fan and especially the 2X7 for most big game hunting. The Leupold scopes are bullet proof quality, fog proof, recoil proof and accurate adjustments along with a lifetime guarantee that is actually backed up, your Leupold will never let you down when it is needed most. I know there are plenty of scopes to choose from some cheaper and some a lot more expensive but I can tell you with certainty when the dust settles that little 2X7 Leupold will handle 99.9% of any Deer hunting situation you will ever throw at it here in NY.

Al

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigMedicine said:

Leupold VX-R 3-12, 50mm objective with a 30mm tube. I have this scope on my Kimber, it has the ballistic firedot, only with a 40mm objective. It’s a real nice scope, and the illuminated dot in the center of the crosshair is great in low light.

I can see my duplex reticle way past legal or even safe shooting light. 

58 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I can see my duplex reticle way past legal or even safe shooting light. 

I have a two Vortex that are on  a couple guns. One is on my 223 Encore Barrel and it is very nice to have for predator hunting. The other is on my Encore ML barrel. it was on discount and I got it for the same price and the same scope without it so I figured why not. I have had it turned on twice that I can remember and both were dark cloudy mornings just at shooting time in a Northern zone Hemlock/Cedar swamp. Other than that I can't see the use on a non -predator rifle.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 3:58 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have a two Vortex that are on  a couple guns. One is on my 223 Encore Barrel and it is very nice to have for predator hunting. The other is on my Encore ML barrel. it was on discount and I got it for the same price and the same scope without it so I figured why not. I have had it turned on twice that I can remember and both were dark cloudy mornings just at shooting time in a Northern zone Hemlock/Cedar swamp. Other than that I can't see the use on a non -predator rifle.  

if you needed a lighted reticle under those conditions, it would seem that the optics are somewhat lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always had a 50mm on my Browning A-bolt Synthetic Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag.  I love it!  The 7mm has the full length barrel and pretty big stock, so the big scope seems to fit.  It is a heavy combo, not doubt about it.  I am an all-day sit rifle hunter, so it's no big thing to me.  I believe that I see more with the extra light both early and late.   My 2 cents, free of charge.

• 5 weeks later...

As good as the crossfire scopes are if you do not want a illuminated reticle the diamondback scopes are better.
I just changed 4 scopes over to PST'S from vortex 3 of them 2 5 -10 x 44, and the other one is 4-16 x50. They have been amazing to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Id like to set this gun up for long(er) range shooting using MOA. This will be my first setup to shoot long ranges without bdc or "hold over". I love the concept and figured out how to do so with 1/4 MOA .. This scope is 1/2 MOA so im guessing the adjustment "clicks" will be half of 1/4??  

32 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Id like to set this gun up for long(er) range shooting using MOA. This will be my first setup to shoot long ranges without bdc or "hold over". I love the concept and figured out how to do so with 1/4 MOA .. This scope is 1/2 MOA so im guessing the adjustment "clicks" will be half of 1/4??  

what does the scope say? a MOA at 100 yards is 1". I would be surprised is that scope is 1/2" clicks at 100 yards. 

Let me see if I can get this out right.
1/2" Moa will move your point of impact a1/2" per click two clicks =1" right left up down. 
1 moa = 1"@ 100 yards 2moa = 2" @ 200 and so on

That's what I had figured. But it's the first scope I've ever seen in 1/2" MOA

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Distance to target in yards) / (100) = inches per MOA at that distance

(Number of inches of adjustment needed) / (inches per MOA at that distance) = MOA adjustment

(Number of clicks per 1 MOA on scope) x (MOA adjustment) = adjustment in clicks on scope

Note, if you insist on using 1.047" per 100 yards instead of 1" per 100 yards, you must multiply the (inches per MOA at that distance) by 1.047.

EXAMPLES

Problem Answer
If 1 MOA is 1" at 100 yards, how many MOA is 2" at 200 yards? It is still just 1 MOA. Remember, a MOA is an angular measurement that gets bigger with distance. 1" at 100 yards and 12" at 1200 yards are both 1 MOA.
If your bullets are impacting 16" to the left at 800 yards, and ignoring any wind effect for now, how many MOA do you need to adjust and in which direction? 2 MOA to the right. Remember, the first step is to think in 1 MOA increments at whatever distance you are shooting. Since 1 MOA at 800 yards is 8", you should think in 8" increments for this problem. The next step is to think about how many increments of 1 MOA fit into the distance you want to adjust. Two 8" increments fit into the 16" we want to adjust, so we are going to adjust 2 MOA. Since the bullets are impacting to the left, we want to adjust them to the right.
At 50 yards, how far will a 10 MOA adjustment move the impact of the bullet in inches? 5 inches. If 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1", then at half the distance, 1 MOA is half as big and is 1/2". Likewise, 1 MOA at 25 yards is 1/4". So, if you think in 1/2" increments, and add up 10 of those 1/2" increments, you come up with 5 inches.
If you scope adjusts in 1/4 MOA (it may say 1/4" per 100 yards on scope), how many clicks are needed on the scope to adjust 10" at 200 yards? 20 clicks. 1 MOA increment at 200 yards is 2". 5 of those 2" increments fit into the 10" of adjustment needed, so a 5 MOA adjustment is needed. 4 clicks on the scope equal 1 MOA. So, if every 4 clicks equals 1 MOA, you will need 5 of those 4 click adjustments, or 20 clicks total.

I personally  don't worry about it. I bore sight, get on the paper, and keep adjusting until I am where I want to be. After that I shoot different yardages so I know where it is shooting and leave it at that. Seems like everything has to be a science these days.

It is probably very important to a Sniper but for everyday shooting and the distances available for most of NY...old Kentucky windage still works.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1