to hang or not to hang...?

growalot

That is what I'm struggling with...yes he's been up a while now ..hide is off..but it's pretty cool here. so it's mid forties and going to low 40's tonight...no sun heavy cloud cover slight breeze...I want to butcher him because I know the meat will be great...but would like him to hang over night if possible...what do you think  with these conditions...Oh by the way...farmer was just here...we had a good chat..he was measuring today because they are going to inject manure. Our well is only 50 ft from the field...they need to be at the least 100ft...Oh 10 ten was taken nearby and one killed in a nearby town,by a car.....Any how should I go quarter him up?

Edited by growalot

Do you have an old refrigerator?   I have one out in the garage that comes in real handy when it is warm.   I cut the hind quarters off and hang them by the tendons from hooks on top inside the fridge. I rest the front section on the neck against the bottom of the fridge.   I processed a 2-1/2 year old buck earlier this week that was just about perfectly aged after 8 days in there.  You know it is right when the meat again feels just like it did when freshly killed.   1 week is good for a 1-1/2 year deer, 2-1/2 year olds about 10 days, and 2 weeks for older deer.

There will still be lots of rigermortice in that meat if you cut him up tomorrow.   If you think you must do that, grinding most would be the best bet, but even the grind is a lot less chewy if the deer has been aged.   Canning is another good option if you can not hang for a week or more.  

It is supposed to get up to 70 on Friday, so some type of refrigeration will be necessary if you want to properly age that deer.    After that, the hanging temperature looks perfect for as far out as the extended forecast goes.  I am hoping to take advantage of that by filling one to four dmp's, starting Friday afternoon with the crossbow.  If I can get one of my target button bucks on Friday morning he will get cut up Friday night (6 month's don't need to be aged).

I don't have a link to a source handy, but my understanding is that a deer should hang for at least 24 to get past rigor mortis, and that between 35-  50 degrees it is OK (recommended unless grinding) to hang for a week or so, between 50 and 60 degrees up to 24 hours, above 60 degrees no go. As I recall, it is also recommended to leave the hide on while hanging as it will help prevent the meat from drying out or freezing. The rate of enzyme activity that tenderizes the meat is a function of the hanging temperature. The higher the temp, the faster it goes. This is all from what I read, fwiw.

6 hours ago, goosifer said:

I don't have a link to a source handy, but my understanding is that a deer should hang for at least 24 to get past rigor mortis, and that between 35-  50 degrees it is OK (recommended unless grinding) to hang for a week or so, between 50 and 60 degrees up to 24 hours, above 60 degrees no go. As I recall, it is also recommended to leave the hide on while hanging as it will help prevent the meat from drying out or freezing. The rate of enzyme activity that tenderizes the meat is a function of the hanging temperature. The higher the temp, the faster it goes. This is all from what I read, fwiw.

What he said, this is how we do it and the deer processor around here, hide always stays on.  Was always taught the hide keeps the meat from drying out and better yet it also keeps the meat from warming up during the day as it will hold the cold in from overnight temps.  Chest cavity always gets packed with ice as well.   Think of an air conditioned house, poorly insulated one the cool goes out, good insulated one the cool stays in, same as those cool  fall nights you dont heat the house, cool inside just about all day and warm outside. 

• Like 1

I always butcher right away. If you get the meat off the bone and away from the nervous system before rigor starts to set in, it never will. I also vacuum seal so, all I do is defrost 3 days or so before I want to eat and let it wet age right in the package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just sampled a roast from that 2-1/2 year old buck for dinner tonight.  It may be the most tender, best-flavored, mature whitetail deer roast that I have ever had.  I am not sure if it was the 8 days aging in the fridge at 35 degrees, or the corn diet that buck was on for a few weeks before I killed him, but man was that good.   A little bit of each I suppose.