Smokers for Christmas

BigVal

I have an electric smoker and can understand that some frown upon them simply because they are electric.  I really enjoy it and have found it quite easy to use.  A big pro is that you can set the temperature and not have to worry about it fluctuating too much.  I have fooled around with different types of woods (cherry, apple etc.) and the amount that I add which definitely reflects the taste of the finished product.  I have mastered ribs and pork shoulder and have tried a few baskets.  Whatever you choose have fun experimenting.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Charcoal is my opinion emoji2.png
It's not difficult at all. I use all year round , shovel around it , cold days , rainy days , windy days and it's a piece of cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't believe it.

I'll need pics.............................. :)

Oh.........2012taco has made a pile of your jalapeno bites of late.  All I've sampled have been dynamite!

• Like 1

I once had a cheap electric smoker   I was getting pretty good   at smoking fish, and was turning out some good quality product with it..

Then I burned my house down with it...( No fault of the smoker).

My wife wouldn't let me use it anymore.....In fact we  bulldozed a big hole on the property and buried it with the remains of the house...

True story...

• Like 1

One chimney ( looks like a big beer mug with holes in bottom ) , stuff bottom with newspaper / charcoal on top. Light paper. Do this 3 or 4 times   Gets you a perfect 225 or very close. That's pretty much the magic temp to smoke everything. That initial wave of charcoal will go for 3-4 hours easy. Add a few to top off if you're cooking longer. You cannot oversmoke anything IMO. It only gets more tender. When I first got smoker I was worried I was over my head. It's stupid easy. No monitoring needed. You can even buy a remote meat thermometer that will alert you on a pager like thing when meat temp has hit temp you set for. Honestly I haven't even checked internal temps in years. You get a feel for time and readiness by looks or general time frame built on experience. Not trying to sway you but just listing my going ons with charcoal  Have also heard it gives better flavor  

Lawdwaz , 

the venison bites wrapped in bacon ? Thems my favorites. 

Check out the " what's on your smoker now " thread. 

Whatever you choose the smoking possibilities are endless. Beer can chicken , turkey breasts wrapped in bacon , venison , whole turkeys , salmon , almonds , porkloin , bacon explosions etc 

• Like 1

I only smoke with real wood that I cut and chop myself or a kind of texas charcoal etc.  Not into briquettes.  We run the smoker year round and I have pics to prove it and will make more pics.  I think some of them are in the what's in your smoker thread.  Real wood equals real smoked meats.

• Like 1

I would someday like to do the "real" smoking thing. Hell I cut and split enough firewood every year for a lifetime of smoking. But I'm looking for simple and good results. Mostly for venison and the occasional chicken or pork etc. Leaning toward an electric for my first smoker. 

16 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

I only smoke with real wood that I cut and chop myself or a kind of texas charcoal etc.  Not into briquettes.  We run the smoker year round and I have pics to prove it and will make more pics.  I think some of them are in the what's in your smoker thread.  Real wood equals real smoked meats.

I also don't use the briquettes. Use wegmans lump charcoal which is wood that looks pre burnt for lack of better description 

Smokers are getting really advanced , my old boss has the electronic temp unit that he can read on his phone ,somehow he is able to view at work on his computer and comes home real quick if it needs an adjustment. The image is from the day a few of us went over for dinner,he kept sending us updates on dinner.

Screenshot_20160928-101127.png

• Like 1

I am new at using a Smoker as I purchased one last summer . I went with the Electric MasterBuilt as the electric smokers keep an even temperature . A neighbor had his electric and a friend's propane smokers going for a big party . Ran out of propane and had to drive to get tank filled so meat wasn't ready at same time . No big deal but when you are slow cooking and don't realize the propane tank is empty , it's a bummer !

• Like 1