What's the Scariest hunting situation you have had ?

fasteddie

• 3 weeks later...

Falling down a tree in a climber

Having the strap break and a hang-on stand disappear from under your feet (I use straps rated for a minimum of 1500lbs now)

Having a gun go off with the guy standing behind me while were shooting skeet, he was very new to guns, reloading and managed to fire his 12ga in the process. thankfully it was pointed at the ground even if it was in our direction!!

Cant really think of any others off the top of my head

Northern Minnesota (Bobcat Hunting): It was -21 degrees one day (without the windchill) and I was outside sunrise to sunset. I was wondering if I would get frostbite. My eyelashes were icicles. Also had some concern about pissing and it freezing lol (it didn't).

Southern Arizona (Mt. Lion Hunting): My first ever day hunting lions we did around 15 miles on foot chasing a lion. Ran out time, darkness fell, and the hounds were still miles away. The guide thought about calling in on the Sat Phone to have horses come get us out. My legs were like jelly, but we made it out in the dark. I lost a legit 8lbs that day. We of course, ran out of water, so I drank a ton from a running stream. Throughout the day, I slid on my ass down some serious steep cliffs, had to be aware of rattlesnakes and killer bees (they had killed a horse 2 weeks prior), and illegals (we came across few different camps, but all were empty).

Northern Ontario (wolf hunt): Guide's wife picks us up from airport and we are doing 75mph on a desolate highway and the tire completely blows out. Got lucky we didn't crash. My Dad and I had to change the tire since she was like 60 years old and frail.

My Dad has a few as well:

(1) The mt. lion he shot in Colorado in the 90's gave the guide a ton of stitches on his forearm before my dad shot it. The lion bayed up in the some rocks so my Dad had no clear shot. When the guide pulled the last dog away, my dad shot and killed the lion but not before the lion's claw ripped into the guide's forearm.

(2) flying into Calgary (wolf hunt) the plane went wild from turbulence. Several broken noses, arms, legs. My dad was fine (he had his seatbelt on).

(3) Being outside all day and on snowmobiles with temps of -30 to -40 (not counting wind chill). Kapuskasing, Ontario gets some severe cold. Jared Allen (NFL player) was in camp that week too.

• Like 2

2013 hunting the ADKS. I had tracked a buck all day and killed him at 3:30 about 4 miles from the road and I had never been to the area before. At about 11:00pm I fell through a pond and it killed my gps and phone. Had no idea where I was and only a compass and the heading I needed to go. Left the deer and Headed to the truck got to it a little after 2am after a 2 mile walk down the road. It was a long cold walk to the truck with my clothes freezing to me. Changed my clothes and went back after the deer. Didn't get the deer to the truck until 6 that morning then had a 2.5hr drive home. It wasn't pretty and it taught me a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Back in the early 90's, I was deer hunting in a new spot (at the time) near the end of "shotgun" season, and had only been on it a few times. I primarily still hunted back then. I was following some fresh tracks and got turned around.

It started snowing pretty good and was getting dark fast so I wanted to get heading back in the right direction. Well I caught myself walking in a big circle twice. Now it was very dark, snowing harder, the wind was picking up, and I was nursing my Maglite (remember when those were the best?) as the batteries were getting dim. I've got to say I was getting nervous the second time I circled. Then BAM, I walked right into a branch and got stabbed in the eye with it. That hurts more than you'd think!

I wound up finally making my way to a field and then saw headlights go by on the road in the distance which got me to recognizable features and I was only a half mile from my truck.

So I didn't have lead sprayed at me or anything serious like that, but I was getting more than a little scared about not getting out that night. I was dressed for still hunting not staying the night. An ER stop on the way home, and the eye was good in a week or two. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 2:20 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Southern Arizona (Mt. Lion Hunting): My first ever day hunting lions we did around 15 miles on foot chasing a lion. Ran out time, darkness fell, and the hounds were still miles away. The guide thought about calling in on the Sat Phone to have horses come get us out. My legs were like jelly, but we made it out in the dark. I lost a legit 8lbs that day. We of course, ran out of water, so I drank a ton from a running stream. Throughout the day, I slid on my ass down some serious steep cliffs, had to be aware of rattlesnakes and killer bees (they had killed a horse 2 weeks prior), and illegals (we came across few different camps, but all were empty).

That doesn't make any sense.  I read this HSUS article talking about how hunting mountain lions was very easy and all you basically do is get out of your pickup walk a few dozen yards and go shoot a poor, innocent kitty cat out of a tree.  They didn't say anything about walking 15 miles or getting caught out in the dark, and of course we all know that HSUS never lies about or misrepresents hunters....hmm, something isn't adding up.

Several unfortunately, but one of the scariest happened at camp. Mr B a friend from Watertown ,Dan, and I had just gotten through doing a walk to move the deer... Camp is like home in that it is a hill side that drops even farther down into the valley leaving our west line. We met at the corner tree stand and were talking about how we were going to hunt back up the hill to camp when all hell broke loose on the lands below us...next thing I know Mr B is slamming me face first into the snow and jumping on me and the Dan jumped across him...I turned my head to ask what the blazes were they doing, when a slug kicked the snow up directly in front and 1 ft from my eye. Next thing I know Dan jumps up screaming and shooting his gun...everything went quiet...I don't know for sure where he was shooting...but having met a few guys out of Watertown...probably not into the ground...Mr. B had a slug literally go through his hair...that's when he knocked me down and covered me.... all of us had orange and Mr B and I were in solid orange head to toe.

That doesn't make any sense.  I read this HSUS article talking about how hunting mountain lions was very easy and all you basically do is get out of your pickup walk a few dozen yards and go shoot a poor, innocent kitty cat out of a tree.  They didn't say anything about walking 15 miles or getting caught out in the dark, and of course we all know that HSUS never lies about or misrepresents hunters....hmm, something isn't adding up.

Lol. I wish I got that lucky.

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Several unfortunately, but one of the scariest happened at camp. Mr B a friend from Watertown ,Dan, and I had just gotten through doing a walk to move the deer... Camp is like home in that it is a hill side that drops even farther down into the valley leaving our west line. We met at the corner tree stand and were talking about how we were going to hunt back up the hill to camp when all hell broke loose on the lands below us...next thing I know Mr B is slamming me face first into the snow and jumping on me and the Dan jumped across him...I turned my head to ask what the blazes were they doing, when a slug kicked the snow up directly in front and 1 ft from my eye. Next thing I know Dan jumps up screaming and shooting his gun...everything went quiet...I don't know for sure where he was shooting...but having met a few guys out of Watertown...probably not into the ground...Mr. B had a slug literally go through his hair...that's when he knocked me down and covered me.... all of us had orange and Mr B and I were in solid orange head to toe.

I can relate to that one.  Getting to feel the pressure wave of a slug against the side of your face, before hearing the gunshot, is something that is hard to forget.      

• Like 2

16 hours ago, growalot said:

Hate to disappoint Belo...Just one of them the title did say the scariest...

that is disappointing :( because you've dropped some doozies!

mine is probably the cotton mouth that crossed my path in Mississippi. Those things will chase you and all I had was a bow lol

b33538586c42ea01243106e41cbb5bc2.jpg&key=b2ee1d0be2685c0b1edb737db49bf6fc63d8c1d088823f00241cc7b11a20ff92
I had a couple of copperheads join me in a blind while hunting in NC.

I hate snakes. Here's a rattler than my guide in AZ killed. He's 6'4" for reference.

2a213d66140dd377f0a56d7920b5cbb6.jpg

• Like 1

Worst for me was when I was young 18or 19 hunting in Greene county.Hunted the Land befor so I thought I knew it.When in the dark to a stand I hunted in the past..Took a shot at a nice buck  saw him fall and then take off.... Started to track him for what seemed like hours lost the blood trail and was so lost....Spent the whole day walking and finally found the road about mile from the truck just befor dark.......worst feeling being lost

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tuckersdaddy said:

The worst one for me... Sitting againts a tree,the wind picked up as a front went through when the top of the tree popped and dropped about 10 feet from me. Wind makes me real nervous now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wasn't in the tree at the time but one of our tree stands came down in a wind storm. The top of the tree broke and smashed the tree stand and it fell to the ground.