Nope....I Can't Handle It Anymore

Doc

For the past week or two, there is something real ugly happening on this site that  keeps making it intermittently freeze up between each page. It is something that only happens on this site, so there must be something here that my computer doesn't like. I am quite patient, but today it is happening so bad that I can't deal with it anymore. It's too bad because I love this forum, but it looks like perhaps I am going to have to give up. I have enjoyed all the great topics and conversation and the great people here, but unfortunately I cannot handle the frustration.

I really hope that one of the members with better computer knowledge, can help you out Doc. I have not had any problems like you are describing. And I visit here using three different devices. Would hate to see ya go over something that could be corrected.

• Like 1

Could be related to the notifications.  I know it sometimes that slows me up when I get notifications on the top right.  Try allowing pop-ups on huntingny.com.  You could also clear you temp files and reset the browser to its defaults. 

What browser are you using.  I notice with chrome it shows me the notification but in IE it gives a warning at times.  Allowing pop-ups on this site should help.

Hate to loose you Doc, you are another favorite poster here!  

Let me know what browser you are using and I will try to help if I can.

Try going to: tools>> click internet options>>click delete>>make sure all the boxes are checked and then click delete.

After that download the free version of this:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

and run one or twice a week. NOTE: ONLY DOWNLOAD FROM THE piriform site.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

I haven't noticed an issue here, Doc. I spend a lot of time on the internet, and this has always been one of the 'cleanest' sites I visit. I don't know crap about computers, to be honest, but it sounds like something's 'buggy' and I hope one of the tech guys here can help you figure it out. At  least come back and and blame it on Leftlean Underwear or whatever his name is.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

For the past week or two, there is something real ugly happening on this site that  keeps making it intermittently freeze up between each page. It is something that only happens on this site, so there must be something here that my computer doesn't like. I am quite patient, but today it is happening so bad that I can't deal with it anymore. It's too bad because I love this forum, but it looks like perhaps I am going to have to give up. I have enjoyed all the great topics and conversation and the great people here, but unfortunately I cannot handle the frustration.

Has to be on your end Doc........certainly not uncommon these days.  Let it rest for a couple days, clear out that stuff referenced above and give it another try.

It is very weird. Now this morning (right at this moment) there is no problem. I don't have any problems with any other site, so I conclude that it is site-specific. Perhaps a particular ad or something that I not playing well with something uniquely in my computer. Although everything is moving right along right now, I suspect that before too long it will start the semi-freezing again. I have had some success by logging out and then back in again. If it were happening with any other site, I would start suspecting a "clean-up" problem, but that isn't the case. I can say that when it starts (And I expect it any minute now) it is maddeningly frustrating. And then with it being an intermittent problem, I cannot even guarantee that I can always make it happen to show somebody.

I will try some of the hard-drive cleaners that I've got and see what happens. Other than that I guess I will limp along as best as I can.

Often times spyware and addware are not detected by normal antivirus products. 

Typically I download Malwarebytes and Spybot search and destroy.  They fix 90% of the issues I encounter, otherwise it is usually easer to just reinstall the Operating system.

Both can be downloaded from       download.com   (http://download.cnet.com/windows/ )  but be sure to uncheck the box that says enable real time protection in Malwarebytes IF you already have an antivirus protection running.  Otherwise you will have 2 antiviruses running at the same time (Real time protection) and that can slow you down.  If you need a  free AV product this is a decent one and gives real time protection for 30 days.

VIP:  When installing the Spybot search and destroy uncheck ALL boxes except  the last box that says open when finished and perform updates.  If you install this with the defaults it will take control of your security and it can be hard if you are not familiar with how that works.  Read before you just click next! 

Installing these products allows you to keep you normal protection and then run these 2 separate when your normal protection is not repairing the issue.  Make sure you update as these and any protection is only as good as the last update! 

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

If it persists let me know Doc, I have the option of viewing your computer remotely if you want additional help. 
Send a PM if you get fed up and want some help.  You can watch everything that is being done while in the remote session and I would not have access to the machine after we are done.

If the problem is ONLY on one site we can rule out a virus or other malware.

Try this.  Install AdBlock.  https://adblockplus.org/   This will get rid of all the ads on the page.

See if the problem continues.   My guess is you're being served some ad that hangs your system because its trying to use some resource you don't have.

I'll never really understand computers, but the problem was apparently self-healing. My guess is that there may have been an ad that wasn't playing well with my computer and perhaps it has since been removed, since ads are the only things that are transient here on this site. But anyway, mysteriously, the problem has disappeared. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 3

Spybot search and destroy removes a lot of the junk associated with popups.  

Blockers are ok but they do not remove the issue and many times it gets worse later on. 

Spybot is an easy program to use just make sure you uncheck all boxes when installing except the last page that says to open and update the program. 

If you experience any issues later on I would install this program from the web site download.com and remove everything it finds. 

Good luck Doc and glad it is ok now!

PS:  The MalwareBytes is a great program also and you can install it with the defaults if you have  No antivirus protection.  If you already have an Antivirus this can still be installed just uncheck the box that says "Enable real time  protection" when installing.  This way you can open it once a month or so and do an additional scan for spyware/viruses.

• Like 1