When do you start.....

Grizz1219

Scouting and setting up cameras for deer??? I start in July... usually later in July... But was scouting tree stand set ups during turkey season for this coming fall... found a new spot I know we will kill deer out of this past turkey season... just 50 yds from a set up I already had... but deer on this spot can't be seen/shot from my spot so I'll be moving it.. 

Started working at 2 properties this past weekend and we have some cams out already.  Got the first pic of a fawn yesterday.  Good thing about small parcels, you start to know them after a few years and only need to make minor stand adjustments, if any, usually to get on deer.  Scouting is more observation from prior year than anything.

• Like 5

i do various things related to my deer hunting year round but probably not as much as others.  way more so i do things for hunting in the area and for others in the off season.  i don't run cams until into august.  enough time to take inventory before hard antler and shifting off summer patterns.  before hard antler i try to get any stand sites ready or stands hung.  binos are constantly with me though throughout the summer for the by chance opportunity i see something.

• Like 1

My problem is the farm I hunt is 2 hours from home.... so it's 4 hours of driving.... I start in July and will start setting stands soon after based on scouting in the spring... then make adjustments based on MRI with the cameras..

As stated above  with smaller parcels after a few years you get a general idea of deer movement thru your property.  In addition, that coupled with strategically placed food plots, sanctuaries and staging areas rarely do i need to move stand locations (it helps to have 8 stands on 41 acres). I set out a cam this past weekend over one of my white ladino clover plots that i planted last year to get a consensus of its use. I also spent this past weekend mowing all my food plots , trimming and cutting trees and cleaning up paths..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

My problem is the farm I hunt is 2 hours from home.... so it's 4 hours of driving.... I start in July and will start setting stands soon after based on scouting in the spring... then make adjustments based on MRI with the cameras..

Dont feel bad Grizz, i travel 3.5hrs. one way, however when i do go to camp its usually for 3 days so the drive isnt all that bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

As stated above  with smaller parcels after a few years you get a general idea of deer movement thru your property.  In addition, that coupled with strategically placed food plots, sanctuaries and staging areas rarely do i need to move stand locations (it helps to have 8 stands on 41 acres). I set out a cam this past weekend over one of my white ladino clover plots that i planted last year to get a consensus of its use. I also spent this past weekend mowing all my food plots , trimming and cutting trees and cleaning up paths..

Believe it or not, I have 21 stands set in my 40 acre swamp.  lol

• Like 3

Scouted couple weekends ago and i will putting up 3 more ladder stands and moving 2. This will be my first year running cameras so next weekend I will be hanging cameras and ladder stands. Then once a month I will go and check and clear trails. And usually mid sept. I double check all my stands to make they are still safe. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

You guys have it going on!!! 20 plus stands on 40 acres... give you a lot of options for wind and morning/afternoon hunting... Congrats!!!!

It hunts bigger than 40 acres due to all of the transition lines, but there are a couple that haven't been sat the last few years.

• Like 1

Having hunted the same properties for so many years, like others, we don't do much walking around prior to the hunting season. At this point we kinda know where the deer will be. Then after the start of the season, based on what we observe, we can fine tune to what is going on, at that time. We also have thick sanctuaries where we never set foot, and have set up's for deer coming or going to them, based on wind direction and rut status. We will start running cams in July. We will pull the cards in mid September to see what bucks are using what areas, and overall deer density of certain areas. Though at this time, it's still a crap shoot as to what bucks will stick around, or move off. We have around 40 natural ground blinds, stands and set ups, along with climbers, to take advantage of hot sign, on 500+ acres. Some are only 50 yards apart, to account for different wind directions. My buddy and hunting partner lives on the farm, and sees deer in the plots and hay fields most every day. So that also gives us an idea as to what deer are on the property.

The lake property is a huge deer funnel between two ridges and a lake. With feeding and bedding on opposing sides.  I'll go in there around Labor day, to re-brush in some blinds, then stay out until it's time to hunt.  Some of the biggest deer of the year are usually seen here around the 1st of November. Close to 75 acres with about a dozen blinds and stands scattered for elevation and wind changes.

• Like 3

I move some stands late winter, although I still have two to move, which will be done idk late summer. I throw up a couple cameras whenever maybe next month or so . 

30 years on same spot, so I don't really " scout" I go off what I see during the seasons.

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

Dont feel bad Grizz, i travel 3.5hrs. one way, however when i do go to camp its usually for 3 days so the drive isnt all that bad.

Yeah I drive three hours one way most of the time by myself and only stay one or two nights. Still plenty worth it for me. My cameras are out and I have found deer trails from an area where I never realized they were cutting through. The briars get so tall now is a good time to scout for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Going with a spear this year.  They will have to be under my stand like in First Blood. 

Shucks, Moogie, a big chooch like you should be able to skewer one at 20 yards with a Watusi throwing spear....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Believe it or not, I have 21 stands set in my 40 acre swamp.  lol

OMG and my father thought i was crazy for having 8 stands...im going to show him this post to prove that im the sane one and your the nutjob....lol....hey if it works why not....thats insane.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

you need a network of zip lines between stands in case a buck takes a wrong trail that won't lead to it's immediate demise.

Only from 2 can you see another stand. They are on the small plot.  Its pretty thick in there,

• Like 1

i've figured out it's good to have options.  i've got tons of stand locations pre-prepped for a climber on the farm.  it's a sick setup because i don't have to worry about people that hunt the same property burning out any of my stand locations.  i've come to realize, especially with the idea of hunting with a plan or scouting info, my best sits are some of the first sits for a spot.  longer i sit somewhere seems like the more wary the deer becomes even if i don't get busted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Only from 2 can you see another stand. They are on the small plot.  Its pretty thick in there,

fair enough.  you don't need to install zip lines then.  swinging between tree tops will be allowed.  just don't drop your spear.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Going with a spear this year.  They will have to be under my stand like in First Blood. 

Hunting naked with a spear is a dream of mine , that's pure hunting ! I have no doubt I could kill one with a spear as many pass by at 5 yards or so .

• Like 1