On turtles and other road kill

Curmudgeon

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, stubborn1VT said:

Pygmy "straddled a snapper" and didn't even snicker.  What gives?

Thanks for noticing......Hehehehehe....  There's your snicker, my friend...

At my age, my doctor recommends that I don't get TOO excited....

• Like 3

Sorry, I get a little annoyed when I see guys holding turtles by their tails for hero shots.

Most of the time those turtles never needed to be handled in the first place, so lifting all their weight by the end of their spine doesn't exactly do anything to make their day any better.

If you absolutely HAVE TO handle a snapper for it's own safety (or if you just enjoy handling any snappers you find like I do), be sure to support them under their shell where they can't do any damage to you, and you wont do any damage to them.

If your just handling them incorrectly to impress somebody with how "brave" you are by holding them by the tail.... you still look like a wuss to those who know better and should probably just avoid handling them in the first place.

163549935.CWl0FDve.jpgDSC_0369_filtered_zps255dc9b4_01.JPG

• Like 8

On 6/7/2017 at 0:49 PM, Grizz1219 said:

Wooly.... it's a friggin turtle... Settle down Francis... 

Yeah- I suppose as long as it's not a deer nobody here really gives a crap.

God forbid some of you could learn something from someone who knows a little more about a subject without taking offense to it.

Just keep patting yourself on the back and pretending you actually give a darn about anything else and continue going about things the way you always have with no desire to learn something new.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Wooly.... it's a friggin turtle... Settle down Francis... 

The thing is, Wooly is a hunter/naturalist, while the rest of you are hunter/killers.  Most here seem to need food plots, game cams, 100 treestands, etc. in order to kill a deer, while Wooly can find deer and any other sort of living critter just by casually strolling thru the woods.  That's a HUGE difference in my book.  His superb nature photographs are all the proof I need to put him miles ahead of most anyone on this forum.  He knows nature and wildlife and respects it.  This is something that I admire more than those who only post pictures of their kills.

• Like 12

On 6/7/2017 at 1:41 PM, wooly said:

Thanks Steve, but as you can see by the comment above yours, sometimes the simplest of points goes right over some heads and it's not ok to be concerned when you see stupid stuff posted.

You know what they say about stereotypes not being too far off from the actual truth?  Definitely holds for hunters, eventhough most will never admit it.  They don't get portrayed as fumbling bafoons for nothing, this I can assure you!!

On 6/7/2017 at 1:26 PM, wooly said:

Yeah- I suppose as long as it's not a deer nobody here really gives a crap.

God forbid some of you could learn something from someone who knows a little more about a subject without taking offense to it.

Just keep patting yourself on the back and pretending you actually give a darn about anything else and continue going about things the way you always have with no desire to learn something new.

It was you that took the tone first... I now know not to pick them up by the tail, info from you.... I won't do it again... I was told that is how you do it... So now I've learned the proper way.. but once again you take a "Mightier than though" attitude that gets you ZERO respect from me. When you learn to properly instruct people in the right way to do things, then and only then will you receive the respect back.. But every turtle from this point on will either be left alone or picked up by the belly... So I guess there's the win from this.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, steve863 said:

The thing is, Wooly is a hunter/naturalist, while the rest of you are hunter/killers.  Most here seem to need food plots, game cams, 100 treestands, etc. in order to kill a deer, while Wooly can find deer and any other sort of living critter just by casually strolling thru the woods.  That's a HUGE difference in my book.  His superb nature photographs are all the proof I need to put him miles ahead of most anyone on this forum.  He knows nature and wildlife and respects it.  This is something that I admire more than those who only post pictures of their kills.

Jesus dude... Wipe your chin, Wooly's done... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Jesus dude... Wipe your chin, Wooly's done... 

So what's your problem with my statement??  You told him to "settle down, Francis" after his first statement and Jerkman told him to take a Midol.  All I did was to come to the defense of one of the few people I actually respect around here.  Not that he needs any defending since Wooly can handle himself quite well around here.  Tough noogans if you have an issue with that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

It was you that took the tone first... I now know not to pick them up by the tail, info from you.... I won't do it again... I was told that is how you do it... So now I've learned the proper way.. but once again you take a "Mightier than though" attitude that gets you ZERO respect from me. When you learn to properly instruct people in the right way to do things, then and only then will you receive the respect back.. But every turtle from this point on will either be left alone or picked up by the belly... So I guess there's the win from this.

Honestly Grizz, when I read Wooly's post I didn't read any attitude into it. I guess that is the problem with the written word in a setting like this. We all hear what we want to hear or expect to hear, no necessarily how it was meant. I've seen more than one blow up on here over things like this. 

• Like 1

Steve... I respect a lot of guys on this forum... Wooly as well as you... But seriously.. your post looked more like you were trying to butter him to date him.. Culvercreek, this is the lines I took as "attitude"... " If your just handling them incorrectly to impress somebody with how "brave" you are by holding them by the tail.... you still look like a wuss to those who know better and should probably just avoid handling them in the first place. "  Personally... I was told as a child that is how you pick them up... I was not trying to be "brave" and by no means am I a "Wuss"... If he had just said "Hey Grizz, FYI, it's not good for them to be picked up by the tail, hold them this way, see pic, and they will be better off"... See the difference in "respect shown" in those two??? Now, will I pick one up by the tail again??? Hell no.. I had no clue it was bad for them... Do I really think Steve wants to date Wooly, no... but his post made him look like a google eyed fan of Wooly so I tossed a shot at him... My bad... I'm sure we can both go forward from this point on... I just have an issue with someone "assuming" things about me when they have no clue. I am a huge conservationist, passed NWTF state chapter president, done more to save hunting in my state than 90% of the hunters here. probably 98%... The one thing I stress is respect for the animal and other hunters... I'll leave it at that... back to turtles.. 

• Like 4