Free climbing El Capitan

Amazing feat.

Know more about mountaineering than climbing and there Rhinehold Messner is a wonder as a free style alpine climber. All 14 8000 Meter peaks without oxygen; cross Antarctica without dogs or snowmobiles, solo across Gobi Desert....... 

In the late 60's(almost 50 years ago) he was doing free solo (no ropes) in the Dolomites.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVYDVUbHlK4

• Like 1

It's always something stupid that gets you. 

When I was climbing there was a well-known woman who was maybe one the best free climbers out there. She top roped an easy climb then leant back into her harness to have her partner belay her down. She forgot to secure the rope to her harness. Fell back to her death.

There were a few guys climbing beside me and one had just started his climb when he decided to restart and jumped the five feet to the ground. He slipped and hit his head on a rock. Airlifted out.

ripped yes but not muscle bound...his arms aren't "ripped" looking...they just look like normal arms on a young guy as he stood there in his bare feet... Actually I have to say defined..not "ripped"

I'm tapping out. Not skinny , not defined. I'm in shape as round is a shape Going to work on that this summer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripped yes but not muscle bound...his arms aren't "ripped" looking...they just look like normal arms on a young guy as he stood there in his bare feet... Actually I have to say defined..not "ripped"

His forearms are insane. He's probably like 5-10 and 160-170lbs. Only in America do people think weighing over 200lbs and being under 6'4" is OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Back in my gym rat days , late '70s early '80s most of my friends competed . We had three  general terms, smooth , cut and ripped . I'd put him at cut for sure and most likely  ripped  . As you have be pumped or flexing had to appear ripped .

I agree with Biz , we're so fat we think 5'10 , 200# is normal . Frist pic is ripped , also correct lighting most likely he's pumped up to get the shots and perhaps touched up but that's ripped . Second pic is cut .

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Larry it's obviously the angle of the camera, for look at your "cut"(2nd) I call defined,pic and TF's link in the first post...basically same of picture, but he looks quite different. Both those are way different than your first pic When I said skinny I didn't mean scrawny...Mr B is 5'10''  and 170 he neither looks small nor skinny  but he's pushing 60.  j\Just a different body shape...his forearms don't look any bigger than the climbers in TF's pic. and he has small but muscular forearms. As I said eye of the beholder and use of adjectives..it's insane!...lol