Hows your garden doing?...

growalot

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

If you talk to about any small engine repair shop they tell you that you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

i'm not saying this is the case here but some people dont treat their motors well either. You can't just buy and run into the ground. Read any manual from any piece of power equipment and there's some level of annual and occasional maintenance to be done. It's even more of an issue with the ones that sit for a while. And it's not just doing oil and using ethanol free gas. idk, it takes me a few hours each to put my snowblower and lawn mower away every year. Lube and oil all the suggested parts and bushing. clean and replace air filters and of course the oil. storing in a relatively moisture free garage/barn will also help things last. 

But i'm also the guy who keeps an excel file of his maintenance so maybe i'm just crazy. But it does come in handy when you own 3 cars, a motorcycle and at least a dozen pieces of equipment with a motor attached lol.

nice setup. no fence?

Nope. Hang a work shirt there every few days and not a deer problem since then been doing so for a few years, before that it was a race to see who got fed first us or the deer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belo said:

i'm not saying this is the case here but some people dont treat their motors well either. You can't just buy and run into the ground. Read any manual from any piece of power equipment and there's some level of annual and occasional maintenance to be done. It's even more of an issue with the ones that sit for a while. And it's not just doing oil and using ethanol free gas. idk, it takes me a few hours each to put my snowblower and lawn mower away every year. Lube and oil all the suggested parts and bushing. clean and replace air filters and of course the oil. storing in a relatively moisture free garage/barn will also help things last. 

But i'm also the guy who keeps an excel file of his maintenance so maybe i'm just crazy. But it does come in handy when you own 3 cars, a motorcycle and at least a dozen pieces of equipment with a motor attached lol.

I just mentioned those couple very basic things that will eventually cause problems even if you do all the other stuff or send it into a shop for routine service in the spring months.  there's a difference between home owner grade stuff and more commercial grade stuff.  for example my professional grade husky XP saw engine can be rebuilt a few times without hesitation.  a husky lower grade saw engine can only really be rebuilt once before it won't do much good.  raised as on a farm as the first born son of a farmer, grandson of a man who made his whole living owning a small engine repair shop, and nephew to a diesel repair shop owner/multi time super stock class tractor pulling champion I've learned a little about these things.  all that said I don't disagree with you.  complete and routine maintenance on any piece of equipment is a good thing and will add stress free years to your life.

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

huge difference in home owner grade stuff no doubt. Home owners are also the worst offenders of not taking care of their stuff. Heck we wouldn't have home rehab shows if they were :) haha

a previous co-worker found a gas station that was selling E-85 cheap.  he filled up his tank on his newly leased non flex-fuel car and headed to his home.  seizing his cars engine in the process.  he knew he was putting E-85 in it too.  saw another guy put diesel in his snowmobile too.  scary to think some people exist out in the world, driving, voting, and owning homes.

• Like 1

I have the Sthil tiller attachment for the pruning saw...works great when I don't need to get too close...it tends jump.

I must be getting desperate I just came in from weeding for 3 hours and it doesn't look like I made a dent...BTW this was in the rain I'm soaked...came in when thunder turned to lightening way too close. pouring and heavy thunder storm...My cell phone just scared the Ba gee gees out of me,what a noise!... a severe storm warning and flash flooding...glad I'm on the hill, 50' from the corn field and I can't see anything but a faint green color. Shit that was too close...........................

OK that was more than a tad scary!...sent Angel neary through the shower doors..she managed to get them open taking one off track to hide in the tub while I grabbed the phone and ran for the BASEMENT CALLING mR b......HHHMMM THE OLE bp SHOULD BE UP FOR TOMORROWS dR.'S APPOINMENT!...Dang cap loc.. any ways it is coming down in buckets....Flash flood until 3pm......Good day to iron...Be safe out there

with all this rain, heat, and me feeding them i'm not keeping up with the garden.  things are budding faster than i can pick them off to the keep plants putting energy into growth.  some plants are obviously shorter or not as big. sure enough those i checked and they have got peppers, zucchini, and beans growing on the stalks.  tomatoes are growing something fierce too.

I picked yellow banana,tomato and bell have fruit....beans are struggling summer squash are just taking off..all Brassica are  great,carrotts and beats great Corn just knee high and second planting 8". Cukes just vining..only winter squash in hay field is great..

On 7/13/2017 at 11:51 AM, growalot said:

OK that was more than a tad scary!...sent Angel neary through the shower doors..she managed to get them open taking one off track to hide in the tub while I grabbed the phone and ran for the BASEMENT CALLING mR b......HHHMMM THE OLE bp SHOULD BE UP FOR TOMORROWS dR.'S APPOINMENT!...Dang cap loc.. any ways it is coming down in buckets....Flash flood until 3pm......Good day to iron...Be safe out there

lol.

what?

Ya I just re-read that...all me...cautionary note this is what happens when being busy and having a dog that cries, whines and occasionally screams through these ,WONDERFUL, lightening storms hitting us in the middle of the night...last night we all managed ,maybe 3 hrs...I feel like someone lit a match behind both my eye balls...BTW carrots and beets...don't care what anyone says, cap loc is in the wrong place....they should have put it next to the Q, not a vowel....lol^_^

• Like 1

Planted mine in first week of June before my son was born. Since he was born I haven't had time to do any weeding or anything. Everything is growing good just littered with weeds. cucumbers, Grape tomatoes, hot peppers, sweet corn, yellow squash zucchini green beans and last bu tnot least watermelons.. for my daughter. Theyre going real slow

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Planted mine in first week of June before my son was born. Since he was born I haven't had time to do any weeding or anything. Everything is growing good just littered with weeds. cucumbers, Grape tomatoes, hot peppers, sweet corn, yellow squash zucchini green beans and last bu tnot least watermelons.. for my daughter. Theyre going real slow

it's disgusting how much water things like cantaloupe and watermelon take to do well.  i don't do either for that reason.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

it's disgusting how much water things like cantaloupe and watermelon take to do well.  i don't do either for that reason.

Back in Europe my father only planted watermelon next to the fields that had a natural spring or in fields that are flooded each winter so they have wetter soils come spring and summer. They really need a lot of water to produce decent size melons.

• Like 1

I don't have the space most of you have for a garden. I posted a thread about trying something new using pails and laundry baskets for our garden.
Everything is growing great! Tomato plants are doing great, jalapeño plants are flowering, Hungarian Hot Wax are flowering and growing tiny peppers, and the Hot Cherry Pepper plants have about 8 peppers already blooming.
The only thing not doing well is the herbs the fiancée planted.

bgarden1.jpg

You didn't happen to get this idea from the guy up the road from you did ya? On 9w up towards glenmont, across the street from the storage place that's just past that old comac gun shop there's a house there next to the dentist office and he uses that same planting method. Except his front yard is COVERED in the crap. My buddy lives next door to him and he's been creeping onto my buddies property more and more each year. The guy has tons of crap planted and we have no idea what any of it is. But he uses the laundry baskets, which he must have a few hundred of, buckets, tires and just all sorts of stuff.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly can you make out of figs other than fig-newton cookies? Can you make pies out of them? Actually I was never aware that they were tolerant of the NYS climate.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly can you make out of figs other than fig-newton cookies? Can you make pies out of them? Actually I was never aware that they were tolerant of the NYS climate.

Doc- when I was a young boy my father had a fig tree in the backyard. Figs can be eaten fresh or can be dried and eaten. Figs are a sweet fruit and are often added to other fruit or vegetable side dishes, or added to desserts. They are a high fiber fruit and can be used as a natural laxative. As to surviving our cold climate, I remember that my father would bury the fig tree every fall and dig it up in the spring for it to survive. This is a common practice for preserving fig trees in this area.

valoroutdoors.com

54 minutes ago, growalot said:

It's my understanding they are quite common in the down state,NYC area. How big are your trees and what type? My concern in wrapping and trying to insulate one would be rodents getting to them , nesting and eating the bark.

I have a nice sized tree in a large pot, 2 people can move it pretty easily.  It does need almost daily watering.  In the winter, we store it in the garage where it won't freeze.  Right now, it has about 75 figs on it, maybe 2 weeks away from being ripe.

• Like 3

You didn't happen to get this idea from the guy up the road from you did ya? On 9w up towards glenmont, across the street from the storage place that's just past that old comac gun shop there's a house there next to the dentist office and he uses that same planting method. Except his front yard is COVERED in the crap. My buddy lives next door to him and he's been creeping onto my buddies property more and more each year. The guy has tons of crap planted and we have no idea what any of it is. But he uses the laundry baskets, which he must have a few hundred of, buckets, tires and just all sorts of stuff.

No. I know the house you are talking about though. We got the idea from the web.

Garden is doing pretty good. 20 tomatoes, and between all three types of hot peppers 88, and pickeling cukes are flowering. Gave up on the herbs.

Question. Bottom of one of the tomatoes was rotting. Anyone have advice to stop it from happening?

0cc484be47ec8b468467810c023d4384.jpg6ebde7bd4fcb4d19d47bbecb423f7299.jpg

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

No. I know the house you are talking about though. We got the idea from the web.

Garden is doing pretty good. 20 tomatoes, and between all three types of hot peppers 88, and pickeling cukes are flowering. Gave up on the herbs.

Question. Bottom of one of the tomatoes was rotting. Anyone have advice to stop it from happening?

0cc484be47ec8b468467810c023d4384.jpg&key=cff6a5d31e82b879b435f5e769e9d674fcd59a3bd7d79c16ab0369d3bccfcfa76ebde7bd4fcb4d19d47bbecb423f7299.jpg&key=cb93728e4cbcacc6ccd51a53543ae67bc1d68d854c250d883a8e74494c5fe7c0

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Ahh ok. I just saw your post and was like damn I know I've seen that before lol. That house is a total wreck. My buddy is stuck between two slobs on either side. The guy we are talking about just rented a small tractor with a backhoe and busted up my buddies fence yesterday. Gotta love neighbors like that...

Anyways, garden looks good!

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Well aside from eating them fresh you can dry them out or you can make a preserve out of them. My mother usually does that because we eventually have too many figs to eat at peak harvest. They are great to use for pies...especially if you mix some chopped walnuts with them. 

As far as climate wise NY is pretty much the northern limit for many varieties of fig. We had to baby the figs we brought back from the village my father comes from because of the cold. Because I live in the 5 boroughs, we have a warmer winter and warmer summer so figs tend to do very well around me. Many of the people around me are Italian, Croatian, Greek and some Albanians like my self so most of us grow figs. Most years they do very well with out any extra work for the winter, but some years they die all the way down to the roots. As you remember the winter of 14-15 and 15-16 were very harsh and the figs died all the way back to the roots and have to start over again in the spring, so the crop is usually poor those years. This past winter was very mild so all the figs in the area survived with almost no winter attrition. I have seen figs in Ulster county though. One of the things we did in the early years of our fig trees were to wrap them in regular pink insulation and cover them a black plastic garbage bag during the whole winter. Doesn't look all that good, but it'll save your figs.