Quake, The Claw Rifle Sling

Been looking for a sling to put on my Sako. Has anyone used The Claw? The reviews all seem pretty good. I like how it's supposed to grip and not slip on your shoulder. Also has "quiet nylon" swivels. Will they hold up? This sling does look comfortable. Just wondering if anyone has one and what you think before I order one. images-2.jpeg

Edited by grampy

Used one 21 days strait on a hunt with a 9 lb rifle without issues.

Swivels were fine for strength/durability; drove me crazy was they squeeked in the very dry fine dust environment I was in. But sling itself was fine.

Used Vero Vellini neoprene last few years and seem to be a bit happier with that for carry; although the extra stretch doesn't work as well if you wrap a sling on your arm for extra support offhand shooting. Uncle Mikes are standard with them. Used the split backpacking sling to much success on another hunt with lots of hiking/climbing required.

• Like 1

I also have one on my muzzleloader. Great sling!! I hate when my gun won't stay in place on my shoulder as I walk but the claw works as advertised and is great at gripping your clothing to stay still. Put a lot of miles on last year and it's my new favorite sling for sure. And for the price, you really can't beat it. Give it a try grampy I bet you'll really like it

18ef202131cfe1cf4ac4359de1036b6f.jpg
  • Like 2

I have a couple, and like them alot.  The first one came with a ML as part of a package deal.  I liked it so much that I got one for my heavy azz deer rifle.  The sling doesn't slip, and it has a little stretch, which helps with comfort.  I'm a big fan, and prefer it over my stretchy Uncle Mike's slings.  

Thanks for the comments guy's!  This will be the sling!  For the $ 20 or so, if I don't like it, I can put it on a different gun. My biggest thing is, for my deer rifle, it needs to be QUIET!!! I hunt mostly from the ground, at close quarters, in the thick stuff during most of gun season. I tried the Limb Saver, sling and every time I moved the gun, the swivels or sling itself made a slight noise. And if I can hear it, any close deer can too. Maybe I'll run up to F and S in Latham, after chores today. 

23 hours ago, grampy said:

Been looking for a sling to put on my Sako. Has anyone used The Claw? The reviews all seem pretty good. I like how it's supposed to grip and not slip on your shoulder. Also has "quiet nylon" swivels. Will they hold up? This sling does look comfortable. Just wondering if anyone has one and what you think before I order one. images-2.jpeg

I have a couple of these slings but mine aren't like the one pictured.  Mine are probably 20 years old.........

I didn't like the width (2.5") at the top of the nylon swivels.  I modified one (Henry Ford Black) of them by putting some Paul Jaeger swivels on it and then narrowing it down with a razor knife to about 1.25" all the way.  I like to take my slings off when hunting both deer and turkey often times.  The Quake swivels aren't/weren't designed for speed. :)

The other sling (OD green) I also swapped out the swivels but left it full width.  Hence, it doesn't get much use.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I have a couple of these slings but mine aren't like the one pictured.  Mine are probably 20 years old.........

I didn't like the width (2.5") at the top of the nylon swivels.  I modified one (Henry Ford Black) of them by putting some Paul Jaeger swivels on it and then narrowing it down with a razor knife to about 1.25" all the way.  I like to take my slings off when hunting both deer and turkey often times.  The Quake swivels aren't/weren't designed for speed. :)

The other sling (OD green) I also swapped out the swivels but left it full width.  Hence, it doesn't get much use.

I opted for the tapered one, and that differs a little from the original one I posted. I always leave my sling on. This way I'll be able to wrap my left hand around the sling, close to the front swivel, as I sometimes do when shooting from a sitting position. The tapered one will easily allow me to do that.

I'll come back, to post my own review after using this sling.

• Like 1

I have the one you picked up on my rifle and the one in your original post for my turkey gun. I prefer the one you picked up, but both are absolutely great. It really doesn't slip at all once you put in on your shoulder. Just be sure to check the swivel time to time, because I have had them back out on me before. I've had it for about 7 years and it looks as good as the day i took it out of the package. Definitely worth every dollar in my opinion. 

• Like 1

they're better slings.  people i know that use them say they're durable too.  i almost got one but came across Slogan Outdoors Ultraflex slings. guaranteed for life.  similar to the claw whole thing is some kind of rubber except the outdoor connection swivels on the ends.  it stretches just enough to give a solid hold in different positions, carry it like a pack, and gives when you're walking to reduce fatigue.  yours should serve you well.
another note i haven't been to the crossgates store in a while.  probably ever since they opened up the Field&Stream.  my life is absolute chaos lately but we'll have to meet up one of these days.  we're too close not to.

• Like 1

Thanks dbHunterNY! I actually find the staff, much more helpful at Crossgates, than the Latham F & S. So I prefer to do business there, if possible. I too have been busy trying to keep up this summer. Couple health things, work, family and farm has my head spinning most days. But I'm always happy to meet up with a local member to talk hunting over a cup of coffee! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I have the one you picked up on my rifle and the one in your original post for my turkey gun. I prefer the one you picked up, but both are absolutely great. It really doesn't slip at all once you put in on your shoulder. Just be sure to check the swivel time to time, because I have had them back out on me before. I've had it for about 7 years and it looks as good as the day i took it out of the package. Definitely worth every dollar in my opinion. 

ah yes, loosening swivels on mine too. I guess I could use a little light bonding glue as they are always coming loose. Love the sling otherwise.  Daughters has been good so far.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

ah yes, loosening swivels on mine too. I guess I could use a little light bonding glue as they are always coming loose. Love the sling otherwise.  Daughters has been good so far.

11 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

the swivel studs screwed into a wood stock can sometimes back out half a turn but the sling if left on keeps them from coming out more i've found.  if you're talking about the swivel hardware on the sling look into Outdoor Connection Talon swivel connectors.  i've had no issues since i've used them forever ago.  have had to replace one either.

the swivel studs screwed into a wood stock can sometimes back out half a turn but the sling if left on keeps them from coming out more i've found.  if you're talking about the swivel hardware on the sling look into Outdoor Connection Talon swivel connectors.  i've had no issues since i've used them forever ago.  have had to replace one either.

Your right it didn't back out all the way, but it was a lot more than half a turn. I get paranoid about it so I'm constantly checking it and half a turn off seems to be the norm. It's really not a big deal anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know 2 claws. Wont buy anything else now that i have one. Have never had a sling slip off and rubber will not absorb smell like leather will.

I will say this though, look around online before you buy. The prices can vary wildly for some reason and if you're not picky about color you can get a good deal.