2017 Hunting License

Blackpowder28

20 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

What do you think is causing them to do this???

here in region 4 we've got lots of diversity in close proximity compared to other regions.  that creates a tall order to manage deer and why DMP allocations and other management decisions swing so hard between neighboring WMUs.  I do believe it makes for no easy task for Larry Bifaro, Mike Clark, and Jeremy Hurst.  

We've got WMU's with and without antler restrictions.  WMU's with over 80% forested and ag ground next to unit's much more developed with very limited access.  we've got city hunting and big woods hunting both.  data lines trend great on paper still but from the hunter perspective it seems like things can be way off in some cases.  with this diversity you get diversity of habitat which translates to feast or famine when it comes to deer opportunity.  
also in the past years there's been a huge push in this region with groups doing QDM and managing deer at a micro level.  to correct the skewed ratio you referenced hunters are passing bucks and reasonably ramping up doe harvest.  with DEC modeling this creates a problem.  DEC largely frames population and management decisions on buck take objective with any buck being legal and whether or not the objective's met.  if people pass bucks with fewer taken, as well as doe harvest is higher than expected for multiple years, on paper to a large extent it looks like the population is down with an antlerless harvest rate that isn't sustainable.  DEC then makes it a point to throttle back DMP permits.  this is how they grow population.  they only protect doe though to do this, so side effects are seeing lots of doe compared to bucks. another is hunters thinking there are plenty of deer around to not justify any worry about what to shoot or not shoot.  another topic itself, a population that isn't balanced though is slow to grow as DEC desires. 
with feedback from hunters and citizen science stuff like the bowhunter sighting log, along with DMAP applicants maintaining numbers of tags filled, DEC is figuring out there's more deer than expected.  in WMUs other than yours they've increased antlerless quotas.  this info from hunter feeback though has to especially be invaluable and dealt with cautiously in areas with mandatory restrictions or QDM efforts as BTO based on any legal buck is now different.  Good news is despite it's not easily rolled into the numbers they collect, it's still what's seen from actualy boots in the field.  that said some other areas that can still rely more on BTOs seem to have BTOs that are largely off.  your unit 4Z hasn't come close to the objective in over 10 years!  that to me should ring a bell to say it should be revised.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sethf11 said:

That's why I'm not sold on QDMA. But if ya shoot all the does there won't be any bucks at all. Can't have fawns without the does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QDM is a practice to better your deer herd along side hunter interests.  QDMA is a non-profit association dedicated to the idea. so i think you mean qdm.  that said qdm doesn't mean shooting all the doe.  that's a grossly popular myth.  days of growing deer populations from a perspective outside your immediate honey hole used for hunting is largely over.  to keep the deer numbers stable from year to year some doe can't live to see another year.  there's other factors outside trigger pulling that leads to this.  some easy ones might come to mind like car collisions, predator based mortality, and harsh winters.  practicing qdm could mean very high numbers of doe hitting the dirt or could mean not shooting any doe at all.  it takes a buck and a doe to make more fawns.

i've got my license and tags.  both units 4K and 4C increased DMP target by about 30%.  QDM co-op is in 4C and a vegetable farmer asking for some help to fend off the deer is in 4K so i applied for a DMP for the first time in a long time.  4K was my first choice and 4C my second.  i got nothing to show for it but a prefence point. lol  so much for that.  still might make it a point to talk to them and head down there to fill some over the counter tags with adult doe.  if not for the QDM co-op tags i'd feel like any efforts to contribute to doe harvest with my 3 over the counter tags that have limitations would be like dragging around a ball and chain.

should've just applied for 4J as a second choice as it's bow only with public land and i would've gotten it.  i'm not paying $10 only to pull my own weight in an urban/bow only area where doe harvest is needed and desired though.  if it's such a problem i should be offered one by default.

Edited by dbHunterNY

26 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

QDM is a practice to better your deer herd along side hunter interests.  QDMA is a non-profit association dedicated to the idea. so i think you mean qdm.  that said qdm doesn't mean shooting all the doe.  that's a grossly popular myth.  days of growing deer populations from a perspective outside your immediate honey hole used for hunting is largely over.  to keep the deer numbers stable from year to year some doe can't live to see another year.  there's other factors outside trigger pulling that leads to this.  some easy ones might come to mind like car collisions, predator based mortality, and harsh winters.  practicing qdm could mean very high numbers of doe hitting the dirt or could mean not shooting any doe at all.  it takes a buck and a doe to make more fawns.

You line jumping SOB, you stole all my thunder. lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

lol.  i didn't see the jk on the bottom and got kinda nervous .  

did you buy online?  usually they have a section to choose but i didn't see it.  anyone care to chime in who purchased online.  thanks

This was the first time I did it online, just keep clicking on the tab and it will cycle through all of the hunting tag choices. Seems like a odd way to do it to me, you would think it would be a list you can check off.

I also found it silly that I had to put proof of having a license before, how could I have an account and report tags with out one. lol Whatever, I got it done.

As far as the Lic. + DMP'S it is all free for me and others 70+ years old with the lifetime lic.

As far as deer in region #4  in the Catskills where I live the number of does are way down on my property as they were 10+ years ago , I improved the property quite a bit as far as cutting down trees and planting food plots. I have had deer bedding down for the whole day on the property even during hunting season, in groups of 3 to 7 deer in different spots on the property. ( not saying it is not like that down the road where people are feeding deer year round ) Or on the Farms where crops are planted. And it is not Yotes or other game killing the young because I have Cams out all year and they are not here except when gut piles from shot deer are around.The woods are too thick all around, Road kill and niucence permits are doing a job on them. 

9 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You have to look in the annual hunting license part. That's how it worked for me

I am only seeing my annual license.   There is no option for dmp selection.  Do you purchase your license and then get to choose dmp?   Ive done this online before and never had an issue

I am only seeing my annual license.   There is no option for dmp selection.  Do you purchase your license and then get to choose dmp?   Ive done this online before and never had an issue

I have a life time so dmp's were my only option for annual license. Maybe you have to purchase your license first like you said. This was my first time doing it online and it was pretty easy this year

called the dec and figured it out.  

if anyone else had an issue here is how it works.

you put your annual hunting license into your checkout bag, and then you go back to hunting licenses and a new set of options will appear, including dmp.

Edited by diplomat019
  • Like 1

Picked up my license and tags today. Was going to apply for same DMP's as last year, but decided to just try for 2 in 4B. Last year second was 4J, but didn't see a need as I won't be hunting there. It's not that far of a drive, but still, 30 minute drive to hunt in an urban area didn't make sense to me.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk