Meaningless New Yorker Generalizations

Doc

So exactly where does Western New York end and Central New York begin?

Where is that line that defines the southern tier from the area to the north?

I know where the Finger Lakes are, but where are the boundaries of the Finger Lakes area that the weather man keeps referring to?

These are terms that we use every day, that no one can really define. I'll bet there are others.

Same as "upstate". Upstate is the northeast part of the state. Saratoga area and north to the border. Buffalo and Rochester are not upstate. Neither is Poughkeepsie.

I'm in the Lake George region so to me Western NY is West side of finger lakes, central is Syracuse area, finger lakes is finger lakes, southern is the city, capital district is Albany and Upstate is the Adk Park area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I always considered "upstate" as everyplace in NY except NYC and Long Island...

We don't even speak the same LANGUAGE up here as the folks in the city....

Compare my dialect ( Twin Tier Stump Jumping Redneck Twang)  to someone from " Da Bronx"............

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have used the term WNY, upstate NY and finger lakes area to describe Rochester.  I have no idea what is correct.

Living in Ontario County, I always considered us part of "Western New York". Also I have consider the southern part of Ontario County to be part of what they refer to as the "Southern Tier", And by golly I believe we are also part of the "Finger Lakes Area". But I have no idea whether I am referring to my own home area correctly because there really is no credible source of definition of these areas.

No it is not some Earth-shattering disaster if I am using these terms incorrectly, but it does kind of go against the grain to simply blurt out these ambiguous terms without having the slightest clue as to whether you are using the terms correctly.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Living in Ontario County, I always considered us part of "Western New York". Also I have consider the southern part of Ontario County to be part of what they refer to as the "Southern Tier", And by golly I believe we are also part of the "Finger Lakes Area". But I have no idea whether I am referring to my own home area correctly because there really is no credible source of definition of these areas.

No it is not some Earth-shattering disaster if I am using these terms incorrectly, but it does kind of go against the grain to simply blurt out these ambiguous terms without having the slightest clue as to whether you are using the terms correctly.

As you point out, without any credible definition, use whatever term you like.  They are all correct for Rochester.  We are in the western side of the state, we are upstate by comparison to more than 1/2 the state and we are located close to the finger lakes. 

City folk thing Westchester county is "upstate" lol.

I grew up in Putnam as a kid so to me "upstate" is north of dutchess county like Lake George and Adirondacks . WNY is Buffalo/Rochester, and CNY is Cooperstown, SUNY Cortland, Binghamton, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1