Interesting 30-06 @ Cabela's Last Night

Lawdwaz

I can't get this thing off of my mind...........

Last night the Mrs. & I were doing some snooping around and in the Gun Library I spotted a unique rifle.  It was "just" a Remington 700 in 30-06 but it was VERY different!  It had an oil rubbed (maybe they call it satin?) and no ebony forend.  The barrel had NO iron sights and was tapered in a Mountain Rifle type contour.  I don't recall what the bluing was; what it wasn't was MATTE (thank you) or stainless.  I don't think it was a high polished bluing, maybe like the stock it was a satin luster?

It did have a hinged floorplate like a CDL or BDL..........

The stock IIRC had a bit of a different forend tip, kind of a scallop or taper to it???

The gun was really a beauty.  Once again, I don't recall exactly but I THINK the serial number had a "G" prefix.  The price was $699 and it hang tag said something like "Rare configuration Model 700".  The salesman, although very nice, didn't have a clue on WTF it was.  Anybody here do a Google FU and tell me what it is?

Being a left handed long gun shooter, it'd do me no good to buy it.  Anybody here buys it and I'll give you enough 30-06 factory ammo to keep you busy for a LONG weekend.  :)

(You see, I have the ammo but no -06 to stuff it in)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

was it a short barreled rifle if it was its a model 700 or model 7 mountain rifle very light gun maybe 6 lbs the most quick shooting 

As far as I know, Mountain Rifles did not come with wood (and very nice looking) stocks.   It's definitely a Model 700......

Also, I've owned a couple 700 KS left handed Mountain Rifles in the past. 

12 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

was it a short barreled rifle if it was its a model 700 or model 7 mountain rifle very light gun maybe 6 lbs the most quick shooting 

And Mountain Rifles in 700 action guns had normal length barrels too, just thin walled tapered beauties.

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

As far as I know, Mountain Rifles did not come with wood (and very nice looking) stocks.   It's definitely a Model 700......

Also, I've owned a couple 700 KS left handed Mountain Rifles in the past. 

My Mountain Rifle has a nice satin finish walnut stock, along with an ebony forend cap and a nice, classic style rollover cheekpiece  rather than the monte carlo abominations on the BDLs.. It has a DBM  , but the early ones had a hinged floorplate, which I MUCH prefer to a (yuck) DBM... Mayhaps it's an early production Mountain Rifle..

35 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My Mountain Rifle has a nice satin finish walnut stock, along with an ebony forend cap and a nice, classic style rollover cheekpiece  rather than the monte carlo abominations on the BDLs.. It has a DBM  , but the early ones had a hinged floorplate, which I MUCH prefer to a (yuck) DBM... Mayhaps it's an early production Mountain Rifle..

I think "G" would have been post 2000-ish and before  Freedom Arms bought them?

They always have a pile of guns that have been built with factory and aftermarket parts off different models. I know they have a few local guys who are always bringing in frankensteined guns. Prob a " custom built" frankensteined. Most of them are pretty cool and anybody that knows alot about guns will get stumped on configuration.

I don't know a ton about specifics on guns, just addicted to gun shopping....I've spent some time in the "library"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The salesman said he asked his boss about it and according to the guy they bought it from it's an ADL stock on a BDL action gun that was ordered that way special from Remington. 

I called BS on it for a number of reasons I'll explain when I'm off my phone as my thumbs ain't up to speed tonight. 

Don't know what exactly that model would be called, I would call it an ABDL. The stock is that of an ADL that has a satin finish and has had a cutout done BDL style for the BDL floorplate. How it came about? Probably have to contact Remington.

Al

Edited by airedale

25 minutes ago, airedale said:

Don't know what exactly that model would be called, I would call it an ABDL. The stock is that of an ADL that has a satin finish and has had a cutout done BDL style for the BDL floorplate. How it came about? Probably have to contact Remington.

Al

Yes Al, you are correct. 

I looked into it via Google and found that same stock is an ADL stock.  As far as the barreled action, it HAS to be a Mountain Rifle configuration.  The serial number does start with a "G" like I thought and according to a web search, is either from 1986 or 2012, pretty wide range if I'm seeing it correctly.  There are no warnings on the barrel (I believe they've done for quite a few years??) making me wonder if it really is 31 years old?  It is mint and I'd bet un-fired.  Not a mark I can see anywhere.........

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

The salesman said he asked his boss about it and according to the guy they bought it from it's an ADL stock on a BDL action gun that was ordered that way special from Remington. 

I called BS on it for a number of reasons I'll explain when I'm off my phone as my thumbs ain't up to speed tonight. 

So how was it BS?

5 minutes ago, kpkot said:

So how was it BS?

I guess it isn't really BS.  Why someone would order a ADL stock and have the bottom opened up to except the floor plate when Remington certainly had great looking BDL Mountain Rifle satin finished stocks (I think Pygmy might agree) is beyond me. 

I have the serial number and I may just contact Big Green about it.

• Like 1