2017 prime time NY

growalot

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, nyantler said:

The object of hunting is for the conservation of the animal(s) being hunted... literally killing a number of animals in an attempt to maintain manageable populations. The idea that a weapon is more "fair" or less "fair" is of no consequence. We as hunters are lucky to have any opportunity to hunt with any weapon. I suspect that there would be a lash back if golf clubs were introduced into another season. There is nothing about a crossbow that is deserving of being outlawed as a viable means of taking a whitetail for the purpose of furthering the conservation effort. I am curious to hear your story as to how a crossbow has personally affected your ability to kill deer and is detrimental to the conservation objective of killing deer.

You know, when you think about it, if the sole reason for hunting is to cut animal populations, there probably is no justification for huge chunks of the hunting year being devoted to weapons that really don't do a maximum efficient job of doing just that. I mean why allow people to burn good productive deer-harvesting time using weapons that handicap the activity. I am speaking of recurves, longbows, compounds, crossbows and flintlocks, etc. Do away with all that nonsense and put a real deer hunting weapon in the hands of the limited hunter resource and get a real bang for your buck.

Of course I'm being facetious, but just trying to put the idea out there that there are a whole array of reasons to hunt, with a whole array of expectations and internal individual ideas of things like fair chase, tradition, challenge, and yes even some individual judgments of what constitutes fairness. Different choices in weapons represent different reasons for hunting in a certain way to those who choose to hunt in a specific way. We all have our own brackets of limitations that we apply to the weapon of choice and some of that does consider some element of fairness. It's a pretty individualized activity, and people do get some very rigid ideas of how it should be conducted. What a trick it must be to manage that whole hunter population and keep all those opinions appeased. And yet it does have to be done if we are to maintain enough hunters to adequately come up with the necessary side effect of population control.

25 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm hoping this is first year ever that I miss the gun opener. Reason is, I hope I shoot two nice bucks with compound or one with compound and one with xbow before the gun season even starts.

How are you going to do that? You only have a tag for one,the gun buck tag cant be used until gun season.

Lol .  45 yards !!! Ive been bow hunting 30 years today's compounds are so,far ahead of what was out there when bow hunting started . Personally I see  modern compounds as pretty easy .
Had a "fill in" at the firehouse today, knowing we are both hunters , the talk drifted that way . His first bow and he's shooting 1 inch groups at 30 yards right from the get go .
Btw my first bow buck was in '89 at 8 yards  fingers   flipper rest . I've never took one past 25, and I've killed over 100 bow and gun .
Personally a Xbow seems combersome to me for,little advantage over today's compounds.
45 yards my God son my average bow kill is closer to 15. 

My longest is 38, avg definitely under 15. 40 in the woods looks like a mile

I'm hoping this is first year ever that I miss the gun opener. Reason is, I hope I shoot two nice bucks with compound or one with compound and one with xbow before the gun season even starts.

Why even bother with the x bow you just spent all that money on a beautiful compound if you harvest with it early just keep going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Doc said:
6 hours ago, Doc said:

You know, when you think about it, if the sole reason for hunting is to cut animal populations, there probably is no justification for huge chunks of the hunting year being devoted to weapons that really don't do a maximum efficient job of doing just that. I mean why allow people to burn good productive deer-harvesting time using weapons that handicap the activity. I am speaking of recurves, longbows, compounds, crossbows and flintlocks, etc. Do away with all that nonsense and put a real deer hunting weapon in the hands of the limited hunter resource and get a real bang for your buck.

Of course I'm being facetious, but just trying to put the idea out there that there are a whole array of reasons to hunt, with a whole array of expectations and internal individual ideas of things like fair chase, tradition, challenge, and yes even some individual judgments of what constitutes fairness. Different choices in weapons represent different reasons for hunting in a certain way to those who choose to hunt in a specific way. We all have our own brackets of limitations that we apply to the weapon of choice and some of that does consider some element of fairness. It's a pretty individualized activity, and people do get some very rigid ideas of how it should be conducted. What a trick it must be to manage that whole hunter population and keep all those opinions appeased. And yet it does have to be done if we are to maintain enough hunters to adequately come up with the necessary side effect of population control.

The initial reason was about controlling populations... In fact the hunting season in NY was introduced to protect a hurting whitetail population due to over hunting... I believe it morphed into a lucrative cash cow... hence the different seasons and weapons to appease those forking over the dollars... and however individualized the activity is I would still like to know how a crossbow or any other weapon has personally affected any hunters ability to kill deer or how it is detrimental to any conservation objective.

can shoot touching arrow groups at 40 yards and hold crossbow until I get the perfect shot.  Can only hold draw on compound for so long.  Compound there are so many more variables of your shooting form that can be off.  X- bow - crosshairs on and pull trigger.  I like using both.  I might be the only person that doesnt complain about the NY seasons.  I think its perfect.  Have so many options and can get two bucks.  Where else is like that? a lott of states only have very limited shotgun seasons.  Here you can hunt with bow for a month and a half, hunt the rut with bow or crossbow for two weeks , into a liberal gun season (that sentence doesnt sound right - liberals + gun season....lol) and then a week of late muzzle.  Then the flip option of an early muzzle up north and a liberal early bear season.  Right now I have tags for a bear and 5 deer!  i think it works great ! 

• Like 1

Can't anybody shoot 2 bucks before gun season? You can use your archery tag and then hunt with a xbow, so there's two.

Not outside of Westchester and Long Island. Your xbow buck tag per se, it's the early season either sex so if you use it with compound you are done buck-wise until gun season.

Not outside of Westchester and Long Island. Your xbow buck tag per se, it's the early season either sex so if you use it with compound you are done buck-wise until gun season.

Correct only in westchester and Suffolk counties can you use your regular season buck tag before the gun opener. That is because they are bow only and the whole season is. Considered the regular season

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Correct only in westchester and Suffolk counties can you use your regular season buck tag before the gun opener. That is because they are bow only and the whole season is. Considered the regular season

Suffolk allows Shotgun as well in January.

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But you get a xbow either sex and an archery either sex. That's 2 bucks before gun season.

Isn't the xbow either sex?

Yes but same tag as early either sex. You don't get 3 buck tags. Only 2 no matter how you look at it. Excluding Long Island and Westchester, you can shoot 1 buck early and 1 buck in Reg (gun season)

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes but same tag as early either sex. You don't get 3 buck tags. Only 2 no matter how you look at it. Excluding Long Island and Westchester, you can shoot 1 buck early and 1 buck in Reg (gun season)

I get it now. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1