To all the parents and mentors

TreeGuy

I know there's a bunch on here, and I can't list all the names but reading all the posts and seeing the success storys really makes me proud. I'm currently in the waiting with my 4yr old son to get him out actively. We hit the blind early bow and had a blast. He loved it but as any parent in that situation knows, I enjoyed it more. I just wanted to throw it out there that I'm thankful there are still parents and mentors out there who are willing to get our future in the great outdoors. How many can say they have memory's of dad, or grandpa, uncle etc ? I know I have plenty of those and I hold them deer, I mean "dear" to me. There's so much wrong with the world this day and age and I'm beyond nervous as a parent. It really makes me comforted to know there are others out there with similar upbringing and willingness to pass this great tradition on. I have had one hunting partner my entire life, my dad. Yesterday I shot a giant and dad had went to a family function with mom. I made the phone call from the field but without him there, it felt weird, like something was missing. Just another big deer down... And it was also a reality that tomorrow is not guaranteed for anybody. So my hopes are that someday I will be that partner to my son, and him to his. So thank you, parents and mentors for taking your kids or other kids in the woods. As I just finished this similar talk with turkey feathers, I got my buck...I was so proud that he was able to get his daughter on her first deer. I remember putting my phone away and just thinking and dreaming of what that day will be like for me and my son. Then I score a giant, and realise without my partner, it's not all that awesome. I immediatly call my son, but a phone call can't compare to walking up together to trophy. On that note, thank you again for doing what your doing, the world needs more folks like you, our kids and the future generations need more like you !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 18

You need to have that last pic framed somewhere in your house or office or both. Awesome.  
And good thoughts for sure.  I think of my dad evertime I land a trout.  Miss him for sure.  Those things will always stick with you , your dad and your son.
My wife will do canvas for the pics. We give it to dad for Christmas. Did it with the last one too. Gonna try and get a good one with yesterday's buck too and do a double from my bow buck. And I agree. Mark my words, when dad is gone I'll be a mess. Not sure I'll know what to do with myself. He's sacraficed everything to buy some dirt for us to enjoy, which means the world but without him joining me in the woods. Hoping my son can fill that void.

• Like 3

I'm 43 and still hunt with my dad everyday. He was there when I shot my first buck and gave me a big hug for it. He was there 4 years ago when I got my first bow kill, another buck, another hug. Those are memories I would never trade for anything. Now I take my 9 year old son out with me a lot. I can't wait for those moments with him.

• Like 2

I was just looking into hunts down south were i can take my son to actually hunt a deer. Last week when i shot what was "just" a button buck when he was with me, he said was the coolest day ever. I will never forget the look on his face after i shot, or listening to him whisper to me as i lined up to shoot. After deer season is dine with we will be headed out for some squirels to bond over. Cherish every moment.

• Like 2

[mention=1547]TreeGuy[/mention] I am in the same boat as you. It almost feels weird when I hunt without my Dad being somewhere in the same woods with me. On Friday, my Dad shot a buck while I was at home sleeping. He called me to help him, so of course I did. Then he wanted to take pictures of me dragging his deer. When we checked the trail camera and saw that the big buck is still alive, he immediately started talking about how he wanted me to get that buck. My Dad has come on out of state hunting trips just to watch me- that's how much he enjoys watching me hunt.

Here’s a pic from 10/3/14. The only time we have ever shot bucks on the same day.

4f29e11be5180e1c0654c3e40ad02c1a.jpg

• Like 11

This is an awesome thread. The more I hunt with my grandson the more I  understand how lucky "I" am. He will be twice the hunter I will ever be. Any time we spend together is good time. But woods time is special. Long after I'm gone, he will carry my torch into the woods. And one day pass it to his son and grandsons. Good stuff.

• Like 2

Two of my favorite pics!
cfb1e35a2080b20dd5a132280336d257.jpg
My Grandfather who was my hunting mentor is on the left. Best man ever and I miss so much hunting and spending time with him. Next my dad and fishing mentor. My pop taught him to hunt after he married his daughter, my mom, as he had never hunted. We both shot our first deer under pops wing. Next is a nice buck I shot and a young me and my Uncle.
5531acbdb5e51f54ef352a82c6e3570c.jpg
And this one of me and my boy this year with his first deer.

Blessed to have had and have these folks in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

For the first times in their lives my sons, 24 and 22, went to our cabin on the Tug Hill, without me.  They had 28 guys with them (with 388 acres of our land and 20,000 of state land, there's room) and had a blast but when I showed up with my buddy for dinner and some cards on Friday they got pretty emotional.  I had major surgery on 11/13 so my season is cut short and staying at a cabin that is quite remote, wasn't a great idea.  It was pretty hard for me as well but I honestly have many hurdles in my future so I just want them to retain what they were taught and to enjoy each day.  

Enjoy these children while you can folks.  Before you know it they're men and women with additional responsibility getting thrown on every day   

• Like 6

Wish pic wasn’t so blurry. Oh my how she’s grown. This was scouting spring birds prior to season b1daabd650405d785cacfbd5a5404f02.jpg. I carried her most of the way. Birds were ripping on roost and close. I gave her my box call and told her to make some noise right about the time they were due to gobble again. Some gosh awful sound came off that call but they gobbled. She was pleased as punch. Seems like yesterday. Enjoy the “ little ones “ folks because they grow up way too fast !

• Like 9

For the first times in their lives my sons, 24 and 22, went to our cabin on the Tug Hill, without me.  They had 28 guys with them (with 388 acres of our land and 20,000 of state land, there's room) and had a blast but when I showed up with my buddy for dinner and some cards on Friday they got pretty emotional.  I had major surgery on 11/13 so my season is cut short and staying at a cabin that is quite remote, wasn't a great idea.  It was pretty hard for me as well but I honestly have many hurdles in my future so I just want them to retain what they were taught and to enjoy each day.  

Enjoy these children while you can folks.  Before you know it they're men and women with additional responsibility getting thrown on every day   

That’s cool. I don’t know 2 people who hunt, let alone28!

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s cool. I don’t know 2 people who hunt, let alone28!

The place is huge. We continually added onto it for more room over the last two decades. 

Problem is there's no deer there! I haven't seen a buck in 3 years. But, because we have other places to hunt, we only go there a couple weekends a year so there's not much time spent. 

We do what guys do. Hunt, drink, play poker, eat like kings, rinse , repeat. 

Here's a neat photo of the place I took in the spring 

IMG_0575.JPG

• Like 5

Maybe for 18' we can get a mod to make a sticky for the youth updates, experiences and harvests. I don't want to NOT see it in the live thread but I think it will be a great way to open this site up a bit to the youth. I don't know, anybody have a better idea ? I just know that we argue about the usual, fixed or mechanical, full inclusion xbow,ar's, racks or meat.... But one thing I KNOW we all agree on is that seeing the future generations out in the field is unarguably encouraging.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Maybe for 18' we can get a mod to make a sticky for the youth updates, experiences and harvests. I don't want to NOT see it in the live thread but I think it will be a great way to open this site up a bit to the youth. I don't know, anybody have a better idea ? I just know that we argue about the usual, fixed or mechanical, full inclusion xbow,ar's, racks or meat.... But one thing I KNOW we all agree on is that seeing the future generations out in the field is unarguably encouraging.

Just maybe label it Youth 2017-2018. Fishing , spring hunting of turkeys , deer hunting  etc. Post up your pics of parents / child / grandparents enjoying the outdoors together. Like a few mentioned, hunting is in the hands of our younger generations. Gotta say I enjoy seeing you older/ oldish guys and gals holding up a nice fish or crouching in front of a monster buck or turkey BUT , nothing can top a youngster next to a fish or deer of any sort. 

• Like 2

I should have taken a picture. I was out in the garage earlier today processing my deer with my daughter. She’s 7 and loves getting in there and doing it. A few more years and I might trust her enough to handle a knife on her own. For now it’s extremely close hands on supervision. I can only hope this continues with her and she doesn’t lose interest but I really don’t see that happening.

• Like 2

I have so many great memories and pics of my daughter and I hunting, I dont even know where to begin. From our first sit in a blind on the small piece that my dad owns, to the first time she saw a deer while we were hunting, how scared she got when I took her out predator hunting at night, the first time she was filming and caught a mature buck on camera, her reaction when she knocked down her first turkey this past spring, the expression on her face this year when she was bow hunting and had a big buck walk out into the plot, to her disappointment after missing a little button buck with her bow on her last bowhunt this year. Its crazy to think she will be gun hunting with me next year! Ive loved watching her love for the outdoors grow over the years, and Im looking forward to sharing many more years with her in the field.

The collection of my son hunting with me is growing as well. Heres a few pics from over the years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 3