Computer/Desktop

Dom

I am looking to purchase a new computer for the house and wondering what You all think is a good purchase.I currently have a hand me down that is a hodge podge of mixed pieces.This will be for home use not looking to buy laptop at this time.

Get an all in one, plenty to choose from, price ranges for almost any budget and gone are all the tangled wires. Computers have come a long way in reliability but I would look to a name brand with a longer track record. Amazon is a good place to get an idea or two and they have reviews by actual customers. Good luck to you Dom.

Al

Edited by airedale

Computers are like most everything else, ya get what ya pay for. That being said, things have come a long way in a relatively short time, as far as features, ease of use and reliability. Most any of the name brands will give you a good product that will fit into most budgets. We just got Windows 10 over the summer at work, it's really not too bad. Many members here with much more computer savy than I, that will help you out in a pinch Dom. Good luck with your new purchase! I  mostly use a Samsung tablet. Works for me.

Edited by grampy

I would go E-Machine over Acer, and HP over Dell. But, it depends on what you want, and what you want to use it for. If you just want to surf the web and post on forums, you can still get 4GB of RAM with a Terabyte hard drive for less then $700. If you plan to do a lot of video editing or things like that I would suggest looking into a Lenovo, not too pricy but great over all PC's. I know this doesn't apply here, but if you want to use the computer to make art or top notch GFX, buy a MAC!

I will make one suggestion, don't get an "all-in-one". If the monitor goes you have to replace everything. Get a tower and separate monitor combo. 

Edited by ....rob

10 hours ago, ....rob said:

I will make one suggestion, don't get an "all-in-one". If the monitor goes you have to replace everything. Get a tower and separate monitor combo.

The reliability of monitor screens is probably the least of one's worries when buying a computer,  tablets, laptops and even phones are all basically the same concept as all in ones in a compact size, screen wise they have proven themselves pretty much bullet proof, that includes those on all in one computers and stand alones.

Al

See the real issue I'm having with this current is it's very slow.Could be I just need to update the tower,I don't know very much about computers but I am using a gateway tower that has intel pentium 4 also microsoft windows xp.I use optimum as my service provider/triple play.I have cleared cache and still runs slower than an 80ty year old turtle.

25 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Have you ever tried C Cleaner ?  It clears a lot of garbage out of the computer .  It's free . 

No I have not I am a dummy to these things,This is the same computer that I started with about 11/12 years ago when I started using and joined this site I had know idea as to what I was doing.Infact while most have wireless phones my home phone still hangs on the kitchen wall no not a rotary but does have the coil reciever to base.

• Like 1

Most computers at the same price range have the same processor (CPU) and ram.  Do some comparing as the holidays get close you should see some deals.  Most computers now are pretty similar so when someone asks what to purchase I ask what have they used before, if you like them purchase from them again.  HP, Dell, E-machines are all similar in design and functionality.  So shop a bit and compare CPU and ram to get a deal, usually you will see one that has a better processor or more ram at the same price.  You can use the monitor you already have if its still good but often you get a new monitor with the new PC, otherwise you would just purchase the tower alone and keep the keyboard and mouse if they work ok.  Package deals get you the most for your buck.  Good luck. 

IT Tech since 2000

• Like 1

12 hours ago, airedale said:

The reliability of monitor screens is probably the least of one's worries when buying a computer,  tablets, laptops and even phones are all basically the same concept as all in ones in a compact size, screen wise they have proven themselves pretty much bullet proof, that includes those on all in one computers and stand alones.

Al

Mistakes happen, and people make them. The two biggest are spilling crap on the keyboard, and knocking over the monitor. Knock the monitor over on an all-in-one would mean replacing the entire system. Not trying to argue, just voicing an opinion.

Also, going a stand alone tower route, which as many have said you can get pretty reasonable, you can get a HD 30" ( or bigger ) TV that will have a place to connect the wires for use as a PC monitor for around $150 these days. I love my big ole HD TV as a monitor for my DT when looking at maps.

Computers are like cars/trucks, it's all personal preference.

I agree with eddie! If you aren't using CCleaner, you are nuts.

Have had a home PC for ~30yrs and have always had name brand units, by personal preference. Those "no-name" PCs you buy from big box stores are inexpensive, for a reason - cheaper components used!

Not promoting any specific PC maker/reseller, but ... Last 4 PCs I've had were from the Dell Outlet, either refurbished or scratch/dent models. They come with typical new PC warranty and can be upgraded to longer or better warranties if desired. Never had a single problem with any of the ones I purchased, other than hard drives failing over years of use. BTW - If something in a PC is going to fail, likely it'll be in 1st few months. Word of advice, those super compact, slim desktop PCs are very appealing.. don't get one.! They don't promote good air flow resulting in heat build-up, the curse of computer components! IF.. you should decide to upgrade any components in the future, selection is limited as to what you can do & available space inside to install them.

Know you don't want to hear this, but may have missed out on some super Cyber Monday sales on PCs! I treated myself to an early Christmas present, a brand new PC from the mfger I mentioned above. More processor, RAM and HD than I will ever utilize. Also came with a 1yr on-site warranty. Oh yeah, was ~$1/2 off retail at $450 with all the latest hardware & Win10 Pro.

DOM, you should donate that 11/12yo Gateway to the Smithsonian. Just kidding, it was a great PC back then!

• Like 2