I sinned......

First-light

I've killed deer before and after "legal" times as I'm sure everyone else on this site has. As long as it's not an "extreme" deviation from start/stop times I don't see an issue. We're all responsible for our own actions, some people just prefer to take the holier than thou approach, I'd be willing to bet most hunting accidents happen in between the legal times. Have you ever hunted in a snowstorm? How about a dark rainy day? Let's say the legal time is 5:44AM, it happens to be a shitty, rainy, dark morning when it takes forever to get light, its 5:44AM, is it ok to shoot then? It's up to the hunter to determine when he/she is pushing limits. Let's not forget people have different eyesight either. I have damn good eyesight, others not so much. Have any of you ever sped in a vehicle? It's the same thing, we all take risks, it's up to you to justify. Any of you duck hunt? You've probably jerked the fun switch before or after legal times too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

We, as a community, should hold ourselves to a high standard.

Hunting, trapping and outdoors sports are under attack each and every day here and in Canada. Anti's drool over such negative publicity and a chance to shed negativity on us all.

It all comes down to integrity and honor, doing the right thing and following a law(s) you may not personally agree with, but follow it anyway because it's the law. A public forum SHOULD not be a venue by which we brag or discuss breaking the law (baiting/shooting after dark/harvest over limit). This type of discussions sheds a very NEGATIVE light on all sportsman.

When one is in the woods it comes down to one's personal choice to follow the laws of the land. If you choose to openly break the law then you accept the ramifications of being caught.

Very sad the direction some of these posts have taken...... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Salmon_Run said:

We, as a community, should hold ourselves to a high standard.

Hunting, trapping and outdoors sports are under attack each and every day here and in Canada. Anti's drool over such negative publicity and a chance to shed negativity on us all.

It all comes down to integrity and honor, doing the right thing and following a law(s) you may not personally agree with, but follow it anyway because it's the law. A public forum SHOULD not be a venue by which we brag or discuss breaking the law (baiting/shooting after dark/harvest over limit). This type of discussions sheds a very NEGATIVE light on all sportsman.

When one is in the woods it comes down to one's personal choice to follow the laws of the land. If you choose to openly break the law then you accept the ramifications of being caught.

Very sad the direction some of these posts have taken...... 

See 2 posts above,

Check out the Dec 29 issue of NY Outdoor News page 5 . Ken Fish Jr was crossing a field in Hebron , NY around 5 pm . Someone shot in his direction . There was a hole in his wooden stock , his hand was hit and he lost two fingers . The incident happened late last month . 

Check out the Dec 29 issue of NY Outdoor News page 5 . Ken Fish Jr was crossing a field in Hebron , NY around 5 pm . Someone shot in his direction . There was a hole in his wooden stock , his hand was hit and he lost two fingers . The incident happened late last month . 
The point is... We can bring up just as many incidents that happen in broad daylight. If your going to be an idiot and shoot at things you haven't identified then how light it was is irrelevant. There is no law that's going to stop idiots from being idiots. As mentioned before, there are many states with different hunting times, I don't hear of them mowing each other down because they're all out there twiddling their thumbs waiting to shoot at a silhouette in the last half hour. Let's be honest here, if you ever pull the trigger on something you haven't fully identified then you shouldn't have a weapon at all, I don't care what time of day it is.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Let's be honest here, if you ever pull the trigger on something you haven't fully identified then you shouldn't have a weapon at all, I don't care what time of day it is.

This is the truth.  Unfortunately NY feels compelled to legislate in a manner intended to address those that don’t follow the cardinal rule of know your target and beyond.   Those that don’t follow this rule should not be allowed to hunt at any hour.  And those that don’t follow this rule obviously are not complying with sunset rules anyways.  sad.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

They will cite you and know of people (first hand) who’ve been ticketed in a waterfowl scenario past sunset.

As for the Jamestown deal- anyone who has half a brain should hear the few facts given and scratch their head a bit. A whole lot doesn’t add up there....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/27/2017 at 9:29 AM, Jeremy K said:

My pins don't even show up at sunset when in the woods ,I've left the tree early only to get to a field and realize it's still light out.

my site has a battery powered "illuminator" for the pin. I've never once shot with it on, but i would be a liar if I told you I haven't turned it on in a few situations. but that's bow season. anyone with a half decent scope can see at these times just fine.

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

has oneone ever met someone or even heard of someone who has gotten this ticket though? 

I was hunting in a BIG piece of state land off a dirt road in the southern tier once way off the road. I usually sit til  legal limit then walk out so it is  close to or after dark when I get out. When I got to the truck a Game Warden was waiting. After checking my license, and making sure the gun had been un-loaded he told me that he was specifically looking for after hours shooters. Evidently there had been some poaching going on in the area. That is the closest I have come.

One tip to remember is if you sit til dark.. unload the gun before leaving. Walking with a loaded gun will more than likely be considered an act of hunting.

Edited by Steve D

Saw it first hand with ducks in a marsh. Multiple groups ranging from 10 min after to a long f ing time after. Middle of nowhere too. Plain clothes guy, knew who was where, had dog names and shot times. $25 citations and names in the paper.

7 hours ago, Belo said:

that guy shot 45 minutes after light and across a road and on to someone's property. stop using that idiot as an example for a stupid law.

So , what is the cutoff time ? 20 minutes , 30 minutes 60 minutes after sundown . Where does it end ? And , what the hell are people teaching the young hunters about breaking the law if it suits them ? 

• Like 1

So , what is the cutoff time ? 20 minutes , 30 minutes 60 minutes after sundown . Where does it end ? And , what the hell are people teaching the young hunters about breaking the law if it suits them ? 

Well we could go with 30 mins after sunset just like everyone else in the country. Don’t make this complicated because it’s not. It ends at 30 mins because after that it’s getting dark as hell. Anything after 30 mins is just stupid, but up to that time is still plenty safe, proven by decades upon decades of use. I still haven’t seen anyone who’s against the 30 min after sunset provide some sort of clear proof that it’s some how more dangerous or detrimental to the hunting community. Other than some people claiming they can’t themselves see well enough isn’t a good enough excuse
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

All game fines are a joke. Let’s face it; your own ethics and morals are what keep people in line here.

There is always shooting well after 30 min after sunset. This ml season I think there was some 45-50 min past ....that’s as bad as 6:21 opening day.... it’s bad enough when you know what you’re shooting at but silhouettes are all these guys can have.

More concern about the lone shots at dusk all archery season long...

Let’s face it, NY is a state with lots of cheaters and justification in that realm is a broad bandwidth.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, chrisw said:

The point is... We can bring up just as many incidents that happen in broad daylight. If your going to be an idiot and shoot at things you haven't identified then how light it was is irrelevant. There is no law that's going to stop idiots from being idiots. As mentioned before, there are many states with different hunting times, I don't hear of them mowing each other down because they're all out there twiddling their thumbs waiting to shoot at a silhouette in the last half hour. Let's be honest here, if you ever pull the trigger on something you haven't fully identified then you shouldn't have a weapon at all, I don't care what time of day it is.

No, the real point is that someone thought exactly like many on this forum do ..... That they are good judges of when they feel they should be able to shoot (law be damned). Those missing fingers are the result of somebody else that wanted hunting to become a free-for-all where everyone makes up their own minds about what laws to abide by and which ones to ignore.

Look, when it comes to these things, it is my neck that I am looking out for, and with all the different hunters that are out there I don't like the idea of them arbitrarily deciding when to quit or start. I don't want to hear, "Gosh I thought it was light enough". I'm all for a defined start and stop time and I am happy that the NYS times agree with my notions of safe shooting hours. I have nothing against using common sense and good judgment in further voluntarily restricting those hours, but I am not real happy with a bunch of yahoos out there making up their own rules when it comes to my safety.

As far as other states are concerned, I have noted that we have been posting some pretty impressive safety stats and I am not sure that all the other states with extended hours have done as well. For a state with our situation of extreme hunter density, I think erring on the side of safety probably is the right thing to do.

No, the real point is that someone thought exactly like many on this forum do ..... That they are good judges of when they feel they should be able to shoot (law be damned). Those missing fingers are the result of somebody else that wanted hunting to become a free-for-all where everyone makes up their own minds about what laws to abide by and which ones to ignore.
Look, when it comes to these things, it is my neck that I am looking out for, and with all the different hunters that are out there I don't like the idea of them arbitrarily deciding when to quit or start. I don't want to hear, "Gosh I thought it was light enough". I'm all for a defined start and stop time and I am happy that the NYS times agree with my notions of safe shooting hours. I have nothing against using common sense and good judgment in further voluntarily restricting those hours, but I am not real happy with a bunch of yahoos out there making up their own rules when it comes to my safety.
As far as other states are concerned, I have noted that we have been posting some pretty impressive safety stats and I am not sure that all the other states with extended hours have done as well. For a state with our situation of extreme hunter density, I think erring on the side of safety probably is the right thing to do.
You're entitled to that opinion. But I for one am not a big fan of making knee-jerk laws on the coat tails of tragedy. As stated before, do you think any of these "accidents" would've played out any different if the law was different? Nope. They wouldn't. If it makes you feel better to think it would've then so be it. You're putting blame on the wrong thing, it's on the person that pulled the trigger, not their watch.

• Like 4

So again, no good reasons to be against it other than personal safety concerns. Plenty of people have big safety concerns about driving on the highway, and you know what those people do? They stay off the highway! I really can’t believe I just read that Doc wants to further restrict hunting hours, you gotta be kidding me right? So what’s it gonna be Doc, end all hunting At 3pm so we can all make you and others like you feel better? If getting shot is of that big of a concern to you, why are you hunting somewhere that it is even a possibility. Don’t hunt public and don’t put up with trespassers. Your fear of getting shot is now fixed!

• Like 2