Great NYS Dove Hunting News!!

Email that came last night from our friend and staunch promoter of dove hunting in New York State, Mike Rossi:

"On January 3rd Senator O'Mara introduced a Senate version of the dove bill, S07202. It was also co-sponsored by Senator Seward and Senator Ranzenhofer.
In the next week or two be sure to call Governor Cuomo's office and ask him to take executive action on this bill during this year's budget.
If the governor does not take executive action then it's going to be very important for the next 6 months, up until early June, if necessary, that everybody calls every member of the legislature multiple times. We basically have until June to get this done.
I asked that Fred Neff verifies this, but I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in New York's history that there was a dove Bill sponsored in both Chambers? "

How about this, all you bird dog owners here in NY just might get a dove hunting season yet.  I'll have to rethink my position on getting another lab if this happens!!  (it'll be a yellow though as I think they can take the heat better than a black!)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Bump for FSW to cry some more

Wont see no crying here but will see plenty of words against it.  This will most likely go into the same trash can every other talk of songbird season has went.

The birdwatchers numbers alone against something this stupid will be enough to shoot this down.  Let alone hunters either against it or dont give two craps about it and will do nothing.

Just another Year!

Maybe you should put a link up so we can all contact those needed to be contacted?

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Wont see no crying here but will see plenty of words against it.  This will most likely go into the same trash can every other talk of songbird season has went.

The birdwatchers numbers alone against something this stupid will be enough to shoot this down.  Let alone hunters either against it or dont give two craps about it and will do nothing.

Just another Year!

Maybe you should put a link up so we can all contact those needed to be contacted?

The sun never shines in your world does it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

The sun never shines in your world does it?

Everyday...Can't get much better the way i see it.  Still wont make me agree on a season of a songbird who's numbers alone in many parts are none. 

We cut 3000 acres of hay in this area will almost 500 in a landowner Govt paid bird sanctuary and still only see a pair here and there.  Ya i would say a season would be the last thing needed in most parts of the state.

IMO, any new hunting opportunity, is a good one to support. Good work, Mr. Rossi, I know he's worked hard on this for years now. No matter if one plans to hunt morning doves or not. Giving another hunter an opportunity to do something they enjoy, is never a bad thing. They are plentiful here in the capital region. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Call that number and whine all about how you think a season is needed.   Childish at Best.  You must be related to that guy that used to be on here.

There are plenty of them here in the southern tier....I'd love to be able to shoot them legally...

Of course, I am not a deer farmer obsessed with antlers...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

There are plenty of them here in the southern tier....I'd love to be able to shoot them legally...

Of course, I am not a deer farmer obsessed with antlers...

Maybe plenty in YOUR area of the Tier.  Maybe they can set up a season at Montezuma. I hear there are a couple down there that people watch and Listen to.

Antlers are only 1 of the things deer farmers are Obsessed with. Most are obsessed with the great living it provides$

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Maybe plenty in YOUR area of the Tier.  Maybe they can set up a season at Montezuma. I hear there are a couple down there that people watch and Listen to.

Antlers are only 1 of the things deer farmers are Obsessed with. Most are obsessed with the great living it provides$

Says the guy that stalks spring gobblers!

You should really dial it back a notch on this issue as your ignorance is showing. 

3 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Call that number and whine all about how you think a season is needed.   Childish at Best.  You must be related to that guy that used to be on here.

Kinda like calling and whining about not letting everyone know you can shoot a bear in Letchworth??

• Like 1

Says the guy that stalks spring gobblers!
You should really dial it back a notch on this issue as your ignorance is showing. 

Says the guy that is not hunter enough to pull off a spot and stalk on a mature Tom. You and your brother think you have what it takes to get a Dove season in Ny then have at it. I'm telling ya it's highly doubtful there will ever be a season on a Songbird in Ny state! In my opinion of course but I myself along with the majority as it seems after all these failed attempts have and will continue to voice loudly against it. Simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Says the guy that is not hunter enough to pull off a spot and stalk on a mature Tom.

Come on Mike, you know as well as I do that the only reason you spot & stalk is because you can't use a turkey call.  They can be tricky to master but anything difficult is worth it.

Good luck...... 

2 hours ago, greg54 said:

I see a bunch of them on my sisters property in Niagara County. I would support hunting them.

Niagara County is loaded with them.  The biggest "flock" I ever saw was just north of Rt 31 probably 10 years ago.....had to be more than a thousand of them.

• Like 1

Come on Mike, you know as well as I do that the only reason you spot & stalk is because you can't use a turkey call.  They can be tricky to master but anything difficult is worth it.
Good luck...... 

Some of us better hunters kinda like to make the game a little tougher. Kinda goes right along with shooting those baby bucks. After so many years the game gets way to easy for some of us. It's not me that needs the Good Luck. You best keep that for yourself and maybe pass a little on to that other guy pushing a ridiculous idea.

Is there a lot of people against it?  I am asking as I have no idea.  Wouldn't think most people would have any idea that some people are trying to have a season on them, or change the designation from a songbird. 

They have tried to push this crap for years. Birdwatchers numbers alone against the bill will triple any hunter numbers for it I would guess. Shooting a Songbird? Yup. Probably won't go over well for most.