Birds not Gobbling?

sssurfertim

I heard them gobbling the 2 mornings i hunted(in Delaware). Although i heard from some people that their is an overpopulation of hens, so Toms dont need to gobble to compete for mates. Guess we need to step up our Fall hunting.

I've only hunted Ny one day so far and Pa everyday and they aren't gobbling great anywhere. I know here in Pa they stayed in their winter flocks very late this spring and suspect they are just really henned up and concentrated in specific areas. If you aren't where all the birds are you aren't hearing much. The hens are starting to lay here and its only going to get better. Hang in there and keep grinding, you'll get into them.

They are henned up big time..

I heard 5 or 6 gobblers on the roost opening day, but most only gobbled 2 or 3 times and then zipped lip as soon as they hit the ground...

I hunted all last  week in Ontario and it was the same story..

The first two days of NY season I had 3 gobblers respond to my crow call  later in the morning, but not one of them would answer my turkey call..

I am in Livingston county and have hunted all 4 mornings so far. I have been on gobbling birds 3 of the 4 days. Yesterday, the sky's opened up as I was getting out of the truck, I tried to wait it out but decided to bag it and headed home...Rain never did stop.

My son came very close to nailing one Sunday but couldnt get a shot. I shot a nice double bearded 2 year old on Monday and today I called in 2 jakes and let them walk.

I have not seen or heard a hen yet, not even while scouting...there doesnt appear to be too many hens in my area and that's probably why they are gobbling....Dont know why the gobblers are hanging around but it is ok with me....

I am sure if the weather ever straightens out, things will pick up for everyone.

Good luck and be safe.

not too much happinin in lower ulster either. seeing several breed single hens walkin about looking for nesting spots already, early for that i believe. limited gobbling. been dumb hunting in an area that has produced good results in the past 2 spring seasons first week, but not this season so far...

Normally it would be me saying that ...but not this year...everyday there's been 3-4 Toms sounding off all over the property...and a few I've called in off others properties at a long distance...traveling and calling much more than I've ever heard this time or any time  during hunting season.

Nothing gobbling where we hunt in 9x; due to work constraints we've only been out three days so far but it's quiet out there. We did get one hen worked up and mad at us; came within 10 feet of me! She was as mad as could be, but by herself. Yesterday morning three times that we called we had foxes come right in to us looking for the turkeys. I think that the birds are a little 'late' this year as spring is 'late'. I wonder also if having predators run in to the call has put them off calling?

A friend and I heard 2 this morning but the first one gobbled more because of the geese honking than to our calling.One did pass near us but didn't respond to my calls.It did gobble at a bluejay near me.They didn't seem  interested in our calling but they gobbled at every other bird sound.Yesterday I heard one at dawn and after that I may as well have been at a library it was so quiet.

sssurfertim,

you need to find the call that the gobbler wants to hear. You can't be afraid to try something new. If the birds are not gobbling then there is nothing to lost. I myself had to try many different calls this year before I found the one that they liked to hear and would answer. I have worked birds everyday. When you think this way and not being afraid of spooking the birds, you will start finding birds to work. If the birds were there before, then they are still there , just not talking. They are hened up and may only gobble at you one time  and then walk away. I have found that a high pitch yelp works best when they don't want to talk. Keep trying because it only takes one hot bird to make your day. Good luck, straight shooting and safe hunting.

Nothing gobbling where we hunt in 9x; due to work constraints we've only been out three days so far but it's quiet out there. We did get one hen worked up and mad at us; came within 10 feet of me! She was as mad as could be, but by herself. Yesterday morning three times that we called we had foxes come right in to us looking for the turkeys. I think that the birds are a little 'late' this year as spring is 'late'. I wonder also if having predators run in to the call has put them off calling?

The same thing happend to me where I was call and a fox came in, twice that happed

I generally lean towawards very soft and subtle calling but if they aren't talking don't be afraid to hit them with loud aggressive calling. I was hunting public land the first week in NY and hadn't heard a thing all morning. Around 11a I was in an area where i thought there would be a bird and still not a gobble. Finally I cut as loud and hard as I could on a mouth call, first series nothing but the second time I shook a gobble out of him and was able to get set up and work him. Lucky for him he came strutting in at 12:05p and his like was spared.

• 8 months later...

I know Im way late 2 this post but last year I got a nice bird the second day and my buddy did the same the following week. We also called in 4 other toms ( jakes & 1 good one we screwed up on ) through the season and never heard one single gobble!!!! Crazy!!! All season '''No gobbles!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the harvest. Never to late to talk turkey. Opening weekend was the best where I hunt in Erie County, N.Y. The toms were responding well to calls but wouldn't commit. Depends on alot of variables. Got to use the call they want to hear, and that doesn't always work. Sure is fun, when you get one to respond though. Think the toms get educated rather quickly. Had a big one come in the second weekend, but not in range. Had a struting tom decoy out with 3 hens, that may have deter him.