Plowing Started

On 5/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, landtracdeerhunter said:

I have to be very careful while cutting hay. Doe place young fawns under lodged areas of the field, especially during cloudy days. Heavy clover patches seem to be prime areas here. I can only guess how many get run through these larger haybines,  farms run today.

Despite his best efforts, my brother killed half a dozen fawns last year while mowing.  He tried walking the fields before he mowed.  It helped, but not enough.  Last year was particularly bad because it was so wet and the first cut got mowed so late.  He felt terrible.  We're hoping he can get going earlier this year.  

On 5/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, stubborn1VT said:

Despite his best efforts, my brother killed half a dozen fawns last year while mowing.  He tried walking the fields before he mowed.  It helped, but not enough.  Last year was particularly bad because it was so wet and the first cut got mowed so late.  He felt terrible.  We're hoping he can get going earlier this year.  

It's a real problem. The machines have no mercy. I lightly kick into areas where it looks like one could be hiding. The real young ones don't run. Few week old will run a ways, then lie down. Some years are worst than others. My seedings winter killed, so being thinner, hope it's not an issue this season.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, LET EM GROW said:

No till with corn is hard, unless its a no till drill. the seed needs to be under the soil good. and over an inch deep. Especially for the birds sake. If its not deep enough the tweety birds will pull it right out of the ground.. also if not deep enough i would imagine the wind can raise hell with it.  Un even seed bed is tough with no till, if your using bigger seeds. Smaller seeds should still work, provided good heavy rains follow. 

So far so good, I ended up dragging the area and broadcasted it. I really need to get a nice hand held one. I had a couple spots where the pull behind seeder sloshed some seed onto the ground. I'll get some pictures up it's hard to see but it's growing. Had some deer footprints in the wetter end of the plot, one set is definitely a fawn. Hoping they like the plot mix as they plowed under the alfalfa field across the street. I'm hoping they throw some soybean in there so come bow season they will leave the field and head to my property.

On a side note at my parents property they planted corn this year, usually that means a lot of deer traffic on the property.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, wolc123 said:

The DEC might frown on using a bush hog to put corn on the ground for bringing in deer or Turkey.   I just brush hogged a corn plot from last fall this week.  I turkey hunted back there a couple morning before cutting it.  It did not look like there was any corn left on it anyhow, but I am not taking any chances.  I am not very much into turkeys, but I will save my tags for up in the Adirondacks over Memorial day weekend. There were a few springs, when I had really good corn plots, and they drew in lots of turkeys when I bush hogged them in the spring.   I never hunted them, but the neighbors may have taken advantage of the situation.   

Its 100% legal as long as you dont pile it up.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 7:41 AM, chas0218 said:

Pictures as promised, The brush you see might be starting or done of it. I have flushed 4 grouse or of it three last couple things i went up there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry that was supposed to read "staying or some of it"

On 5/19/2018 at 12:03 PM, landtracdeerhunter said:

It's a real problem. The machines have no mercy. I lightly kick into areas where it looks like one could be hiding. The real young ones don't run. Few week old will run a ways, then lie down. Some years are worst than others. My seedings winter killed, so being thinner, hope it's not an issue this season.

Every year is different.  My brother got out and mowed and chopped about 30 acres.  All of these fields were places that had fawns in them last year.  No casualties!  

• Like 1

Got more ground turned over yesterday. No pics yet, as they would be of plowed ground only. Weather permitting, will go in next week and get things worked up for pumpkins, planting June 15th. Figure on other plantings end of July with early oats and radish. My wheat looks great coming into the boot early. The Urea really give it a nice green color Also seeing young clover seedlings.. I did see a Tom turkey in it, which was a pleasant surprise. Believe he's after young grasshoppers. Fawns galore here  as usual. Hope everyone's planting thrive this season.

My ground finally got dry enough to plow this afternoon.  I just finished about an acre and a half and hope to get another two and a half done tomorrow.  Four acres of corn lasted until mid-February last year, so I could probably cut back a little.   As long as it lasts through the end of ML season I am happy.  Too much is better than not enough though.  Hopefully, I can get the planting done over the next couple weeks.  I also picked up some buckwheat, which I am going to plant on the four acres that was corn last year.  It is good for weed control and building organic matter in the soil.  It also has cool looking white flowers and the turkeys like it.     

• Like 1

I sprayed off my Fall planted Triticale and Winter Wheat plots. Broadcast soybeans  at about 200,000 seeds/acre then rolled the Green but should be dying grains over the soybean seeds. with todays coming rain as well as sunday/monday(hopefully) they should take off. If i can make it before the rain, i plan on getting my "Deer and Bird" blend into the dead thatch i sprayed a couple weeks ago. With coming rains help, they should take off. That will be a summer/winter food source as well as a screen to a clover plot. with a Sorghum/Egyptian wheat blend around the perimeter to help aid the screen. 

Need to get my clover/grain plots mowed. Clovers are a foot tall, super thick and beginning to flower some. Looks very good for a spring 2017 planted plot 

20180531_162201.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I stopped at my friends lot up on Lake Ontario and the farmers were cutting and harvesting the grass fields behind him. I can only imagine what animals got chopped up in those fields. I saw bunch of turkey buzzards scattered around eating stuff and a bald eagle was dining on something to until I passed by in my car and it got spooked away.

We don't hay off much of our property and the acreage that does they aren't allowed on the property until middle of July. We usually wait until august to chop what fields they don't hay, so no causalities except a rabbit here or there. By mid july the timothy is about 5' tall and the farmer usually gets a pretty good yield.  Our hay fields are really clean hay we have no weeds in our fields. I keep telling my father se should hay it ourselves and sell it for horses it's so nice.

I also have a spot I planted 10 lbs of clover in early this spring. Clover grew, but the golden rod took over. I cut the golden rod down, and broadcasted buckwheat seed yesterday.

Hopefully it takes. Trying to establish a food source all year long there. Gonna mow it again late August and plant winter rye there too.

So I did a little trial between 2 soybean plots last week. I did 1 plot with a regular light disking to promote better seed to soil contact, and the other in my "no till" planting methods where i terminated the winter wheat and rolled it over my bean seeds. Immediately after doing both we had 2 different monsoons come in and basically wiped out my seasonal road and a couple driveways down below us. I am excited but not excited at the same time, to see the difference between the two plots. With the more bare/lightly scratched soil probably losing a bunch of seed from possible run off. Im hoping my no till field had plenty enough coverage and protection that very little seed ran off with the rain water. Both plots are on a slight down hill taper. The road is so bad I cant get my car down to the house so Ill have to walk in or wait until its re graded. Hopefully dont have to replant. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, stubborn1VT said:

forever we've always mowed hay on the farm as a primary ag use. always have hit fawns. since we started doing QDM it seems to be better. later born fawns are less and maybe more fawning cover than the hay fields are now used. idk... haven't really been able to put my finger on why.  just an observation not really so much commenting on your situation. much of our 1st cutting is done later in the season, as we start with closest fields first by the time some 2nd cutting comes in we're still doing some first.

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

forever we've always mowed hay on the farm as a primary ag use. always have hit fawns. since we started doing QDM it seems to be better. later born fawns are less and maybe more fawning cover than the hay fields are now used. idk... haven't really been able to put my finger on why.  just an observation not really so much commenting on your situation. much of our 1st cutting is done later in the season, as we start with closest fields first by the time some 2nd cutting comes in we're still doing some first.

We have 2017 born deer that  are bred in January and February of this year. This in lies gives the trouble here.

Red clover.  Not ideal for whitetail because they cannot digest the stem of the taller clovers.  A short, white clover is a better overall choice IMO.

Look deeper. Red,White,Alfalfa,Chicory Don't know where the can't digest comes from but 30 deer in that pen will make that like a golf course in short order. This exact pen was cut just after pic because it's a birthing pen and didn't have many doe in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1