Quartering Deer- NYS Regulations

Keanedog

... regardless of how confusing or ambiguous this sex ID regulation might be, isn't it more so up to the discretion of the ECO? We've all seen/heard of different ECOs enforcing specific regulations in different manners. Intent has a lot to do with how they'll enforce any DEC regulation. Not to mention how you interface with them or even the ECO's mood at the time!!! JMO, there's nothing to be gained by getting into the grey areas of ECO enforcement of a deer's sex ID.

• Like 2

When I took my hunter Ed course, the instructor said he does this: 

Animal down, tag it, photograph it, photograph proof of sex, butcher animal. Send photo via email or online app to DEC.

There was a ENCON officer in the room as this was explained and he didn't utter a peep. 

• 2 months later...
Guys thanks for the responses.  Under transporting it says "if transporting without a head the sex organs must be intact." When I've field dressed the animal they are never left on- usually the first to be removed and discarded.  I will email my local DEC Officer so its in writing.

Why would you discard I are buck balls last year and they were great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/11/2018 at 2:50 PM, moog5050 said:

Like the great Scalia, I am a strict constructionist.  If it doesn't specifically say so, I refuse to read it in!

Yeah.  Problem is, you could end up with a DEC officer who is a Notorious RBG type.  They haven't even read the Constitution and don't care what it says.  :)

(Sorry for the politics....couldn't resist.) 

55 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Tag it  and drag it and Unless you have to I would not start cutting up a deer until its home .

Just incase you get a DEC officer that wants to bother you even if you took it legally 

Question from a relative newby at this - how long is it ok to leave the deer after killing it before butchering?  I realize it must depend somewhat on temperatures.  But let's say it's October, and it's in the 50's, and you take a doe with a bow deep in the woods, and will need help getting it out.  How much time do you really have?  

6 hours ago, jmark said:

Question from a relative newby at this - how long is it ok to leave the deer after killing it before butchering?  I realize it must depend somewhat on temperatures.  But let's say it's October, and it's in the 50's, and you take a doe with a bow deep in the woods, and will need help getting it out.  How much time do you really have?  

At 50 deg 24 hours   to 4/6  days some guys  will tell you .

6 hours ago, jmark said:

At 50 i butcher within a few hours, 40 or below for me and i hang 1-3 days. (usually 1)

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 2:40 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Capture.JPG

what's kind of interesting about that last paragraph in the tagging section "carrying a ceterfire rifle maybe be considered evidence of attempting to shoot deer" highlights some of the most knock down drag out fights we've had on this forum with regards to having other open seasons during deer season and possessing those weapons. It really shows that the DEC isn't going to take a firm stance, but sure as shit is going to hassle you.

To the OP's original question. by quartering you're not really missing any meat that most of us use. I'd tell you that there's a good chunk of meat in the neck, but it's not super easy to get to in the field and I doubt anyone would give you grief for not taking it with you. A lot of guys dont even bother with it at home. Also some will take the ribs, but most don't. Good luck.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

what's kind of interesting about that last paragraph in the tagging section "carrying a ceterfire rifle maybe be considered evidence of attempting to shoot deer" highlights some of the most knock down drag out fights we've had on this forum with regards to having other open seasons during deer season and possessing those weapons. It really shows that the DEC isn't going to make a firm stance, but sure as shit is going to hassle you.

While assisting other hunters that are hunting deer.  And there is always the bear tag I guess. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

While assisting other hunters that are hunting deer.  And there is always the bear tag I guess. 

"assisting other hunters" is totally up for interpretation too don't you think? not here to get into any of that sh!t again. Just find it interesting is all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Agreed. I'd be curious how they wold try to utilize that if you were alone. lol

despite my rattling pack and doe pee, I'm clearly hunting coyotes officer

my buddy is up over the hill and I'm going to push to him and I have this 30-06 in case I see a yote on my push

I know it's night time and deer season is open and I can't use this spotlight officer... but I'm yote hunting. 

You're not buying any of those? Oh well, where's my $100 ticket. 

Edited by Belo

1 minute ago, Belo said:

despite my rattling pack and doe pee, I'm clearly hunting coyotes officer

my buddy is up over the hill and I'm going to push to him and I have this 30-06 in case I see a yote on my push

I know it's night time and deer season is open and I can't use this spotlight officer... but I'm yote hunting. 

I get what you are saying. 

As a side note. Nice seeing you around. hope all has been well

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

what's kind of interesting about that last paragraph in the tagging section "carrying a ceterfire rifle maybe be considered evidence of attempting to shoot deer" highlights some of the most knock down drag out fights we've had on this forum with regards to having other open seasons during deer season and possessing those weapons. It really shows that the DEC isn't going to take a firm stance, but sure as shit is going to hassle you.

To the OP's original question. by quartering you're not really missing any meat that most of us use. I'd tell you that there's a good chunk of meat in the neck, but it's not super easy to get to in the field and I doubt anyone would give you grief for not taking it with you. A lot of guys dont even bother with it at home. Also some will take the ribs, but most don't. Good luck.

On the subject of neck meat, it is one of my favorites.  Crock pot it for 8 hours and it makes one of the most delicious and tender stews ever.  Back to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

On the subject of neck meat, it is one of my favorites.  Crock pot it for 8 hours and it makes one of the most delicious and tender stews ever.  Back to your regularly scheduled program.

i agree. But not the easiest to handle in the field and for me it's a forgivable offense if left behind. Personally, I'd spend the extra 10-15 minutes to get it out. It's a lot easier hanging in the garage with the hide's gravity pulling down to assist as you work your way around cutting. Then with a quick crunch from the loppers you have your roast. Never tried it in the field, so maybe it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

i agree. But not the easiest to handle in the field and for me it's a forgivable offense if left behind. Personally, I'd spend the extra 10-15 minutes to get it out. It's a lot easier hanging in the garage with the hide's gravity pulling down to assist as you work your way around cutting. Then with a quick crunch from the loppers you have your roast. Never tried it in the field, so maybe it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

I am sure you are right.  I just can't leave that gold nugget!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I didn't think it was that hard to do laying on the ground. with a knife you can separate vertebra just in front of  the shoulders and below the skull.  then slice through the muscle on the other side and take it with the spine section in it to trim at home. Seems like the best ones are a good buck or a big doe. The smaller ones can be a pain and frankly not worth it to many 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 10:50 AM, moog5050 said:

Sauerbraten! My mom's aunt's recipe. I got it before she passed, rest her soul.

• 10 months later...