Roof mounted tent. Thoughts, experience?

the duke

Hi everyone, wanted to ask you folks opinion on those roof-mounted tents before I go and spend 1K lol

What I like about such tents is the fact that I will not sleep on the ground, which is not really good for my healts as I've got certain prroblems. Summer is fine, but when I go outdoors in spring or fall, I do not sleep in a tent because of that, and sleeping in a truck is just a nightmare! So far, that's the solution I found. And I realize, that it will take some time to install and remove the tent. What else do I have to consider before I finally go and buy the tent? Anyone has got experience with these tents? If so, please share. That's the tent I was looking at, and I consider it because of the opportunity to add an extra awning to store my gear, but if you can recommend something within this price range, let me know.

https://www.carid.com/images/smittybilt/car-tents/pdf/2883-specification.pdf

I can't speak on the roof top tents, but what about using a cot and/or thick air mattress in a regular tent?  People pay $200/night to go "glamping" in similar setups.  $1k seems like a lot of coin to drop for a tent with a niche benefit. 

ETA: I always see these roof top tents in marketing pics, but never in anybody's personal feeds, let alone in the wild.  

Edited by Jdubs
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum duke!

I don't have any experience with this type of tent. Actually first time I've seen one like this. But I think it will keep you high, dry and comfortable. Just watch that first step in the middle of the night, going for a wiz break!!!  

Not sure how sturdy it will be in a high wind either? Or moving around at the edges, will it rock?

Was thinking, even on a ground tent, you can buy some real nice cots, that are very comfy. 

• Like 1

Unless you will have 2 vehicles with you camping or have no intentions of moving the vehicle once set up I think this is pretty useless.

You will be kept off the ground and dry but I can think of to many cons vs. pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, the duke said:

Hi everyone, wanted to ask you folks opinion on those roof-mounted tents before I go and spend 1K lol

What I like about such tents is the fact that I will not sleep on the ground, which is not really good for my healts as I've got certain prroblems. Summer is fine, but when I go outdoors in spring or fall, I do not sleep in a tent because of that, and sleeping in a truck is just a nightmare! So far, that's the solution I found. And I realize, that it will take some time to install and remove the tent. What else do I have to consider before I finally go and buy the tent? Anyone has got experience with these tents? If so, please share. That's the tent I was looking at, and I consider it because of the opportunity to add an extra awning to store my gear, but if you can recommend something within this price range, let me know.

https://www.carid.com/images/smittybilt/car-tents/pdf/2883-specification.pdf

I must be missing something. I don't get the exclusion of a traditional tent becasue of ground sleeping. There are SO many options for far less money to sleep in a traditional tent comfortably and be off the ground. It would appear to me that this tent must be hard bottomed and unless you will sleep on that you still need to solve the the sleeping issue. With the loss of use of your vehicle this seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. 

I think they are terrific; and spent a week in a rental that was on top of a 4x4 Toyota similar to a Tacoma (Hilux). Quick set up and take down. Gets you off the ground and away from muddy tent bottoms and bugs. I thought it was terrific with a nice flat deck.

Way before these became available in the US, these have been super popular in other parts of the world. The advantage where I was it it keeps you off the ground for snakes, leopard,hyena that are common in camping sites.

Though highly enough , I actually tried to figure out an import for one but couldn't get past all the paperwork and shipping cost; tried to get the canvas into a shipment of trophies.

Unfortunate most of those pics I have on film and need to scan those some day.

dmZbSLt.jpg?1

• Like 4

If you are not camping in severe cold, a solid three season tent and a cot will keep you very comfortable. For a lot less money, and much easier to set up and take down. It could also be an issue if you only have one vehicle and need to run to the store for ice or go get a load of wood.

11 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I think they are terrific; and spent a week in a rental that was on top of a 4x4 Toyota similar to a Tacoma (Hilux). Quick set up and take down. Gets you off the ground and away from muddy tent bottoms and bugs. I thought it was terrific with a nice flat deck.

Way before these became available in the US, these have been super popular in other parts of the world. The advantage where I was it it keeps you off the ground for snakes, leopard,hyena that are common in camping sites.

Though highly enough , I actually tried to figure out an import for one but couldn't get past all the paperwork and shipping cost; tried to get the canvas into a shipment of trophies.

Unfortunate most of those pics I have on film and need to scan those some day.

dmZbSLt.jpg?1

I could only imagine an elephant sneaking up and jamming his trunk in for a  little sniff................Heck that is probably just the right height for a curious jumbo.

Taking a wiz in the middle of the night could be sporty too. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for your input, folks. I will still consider such a tent as an option for myself, however I at the moment I believe I will be looking for a used one to save at least a bit... As now I do not feel I am ready to pay $900 for one delivered to me....