Butchering your own deer?

burmjohn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a trick I learned from a DEC officer is to put the meat in 5 gallon buckets with salt water. This will take the game taste out and tenderize it. Your water will look like red kool ade when your done. Let it sit for 24hrs.

I would wonder about putting venison in salt water?  Wouldn't you be salting it to death by doing this? 

I myself don't think there is such a thing as gamey taste, it's just that venison is a different meat than beef, pork, etc. and that gamey taste is just a DIFFERENT taste from the other meats.

a trick I learned from a DEC officer is to put the meat in 5 gallon buckets with salt water. This will take the game taste out and tenderize it. Your water will look like red kool ade when your done. Let it sit for 24hrs.

I would wonder about putting venison in salt water?  Wouldn't you be salting it to death by doing this? 

I myself don't think there is such a thing as gamey taste, it's just that venison is a different meat than beef, pork, etc. and that gamey taste is just a DIFFERENT taste from the other meats.

never had any issues with salty taste but it does make it the most tender meat I have ever had. I've also been able to have people eat it and have no clue it was deer. It's just a trick I do but I perfer to cut my own deer b/c I am picky.

I have never done the salt water thing on Deer. I have on squirrels and rabbit though and it does remove any clotting. I never notice a salty taste to them. Might work on deer if the taste bothers you. I almost always find that folks that don't like the taste cances are the meat wasn't handled properly and the ones that think it is tough....eat their beef well done. If you cook venison well done...might as well save you effort and give it to me...lol

I have never done the salt water thing on Deer. I have on squirrels and rabbit though and it does remove any clotting. I never notice a salty taste to them. Might work on deer if the taste bothers you. I almost always find that folks that don't like the taste cances are the meat wasn't handled properly and the ones that think it is tough....eat their beef well done. If you cook venison well done...might as well save you effort and give it to me...lol

I agree, and same here with the rabbits and squirrels... soaking in the salt water draws the blood out. I would tend to think it would dry it out aswell but have never done it to venison.

good point on the drying out. I always use my small game in some form of crockpot recipe so I would never notice drying out there...psssst..... i am going to post a recipe I did this past weekend for a venison stroganoff kind of dish...it was freaking amazing and so easy. I tried it at home before trying it at camp...the girls had no idea it was venison

An old timer in my club would put the liver in a pot of  salt water for a day or so.As far as (gamey taste Define) =having the flavor or odor of game or other meat kept uncooked until slightly tainted: The roast was still edible but was slightly gamy

So if the meat was not handled well or over aged.Hanging a deer for a couple days below 40oF should not cause a gamey taste.

We always hung deer with head down to butcher.JW

Since we are planning on having a cabin done on the property, we are considering Butchering our own deer.  I saw there are a bunch of articles, you tube videos, and other resources for learning.  I wish I knew someone that did their own to learn in person.

Does anyone here do their own?  If so any tips? Is it hard?

your more then welcome to come over when i butcher mine... its not hard at all. i actually enjoy it.

Since we are planning on having a cabin done on the property, we are considering Butchering our own deer.  I saw there are a bunch of articles, you tube videos, and other resources for learning.  I wish I knew someone that did their own to learn in person.

Does anyone here do their own?  If so any tips? Is it hard?

I am going back a bit but a Nassau County hunting association used to put on a demonstration some where in Hempstead LI. just before opening day they would get a deer from the DEC for this.Try doing some searches google etc. Sorry I dont have more info.

Not my favorite person meet him several times but he can butcher a deer and if you never did but you want to learn get his DVD

Joe Defalco • How to Field Dress, Skin and Butcher Your Deer • World's Greatest Hunter

The only thing with the DVD you can have a portable DVD player with you --not in the woods but if its not too far you can drag the deer out to your car and follow along with it or drag with an ATV just a thought

papabear