Don't See This Much Anymore.......

Lawdwaz

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

How about the fake “collect call” and cram message into the voice recording, “call from...pick up at train!” Do you accept the charge? “No!” And then my mom would be at the train 10 min later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL that was me after HS, usually after detention... Call from: "MOM COME GET ME!"

I spent a lot of time in the phone booth at Celso's deli and arcade when I was a kid. And the phone didn't even work most of the time. Trying to remember now if you pushed or pulled the door to get it open. Don't even remember, but a couple of teenagers could fog up the glass in just a couple of minutes. Good, sweaty fun from 45 years ago. If you didn't live through it, you can't even imagine it. 

• Like 1

When I Bowled my 1st 300 game, in 1989, I tried calling my parents. My mom use to talk all night. By the time I got a hold of her, we where in the 7th frame of the 2nd game. Now party lines were a lot of fun. never knew what you were going to listen to.

• Like 1

I used to call my buddies pagers(beepers) then punch in other peoples numbers, the cops, if they did a cash job, the irs. One guys girlfriend was so pissed, I paged him to all kinds of different numbers all the time, she thought he was banging someone else, I did it to a superintendent that I worked with, his phone and others with that company got cloned, they had to shut them down for awhile. That was a lot of fun.

• Haha 1

The other day my daughter was going on and on complaining about doing chores and jokingly I said “call someone who cares, here’s a quarter” and flipped her a quarter. She looked at me confused and said “what’s the quarter for??” Took me a second to realize that she has no idea what a pay phone is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The other day my daughter was going on and on complaining about doing chores and jokingly I said “call someone who cares, here’s a quarter” and flipped her a quarter. She looked at me confused and said “what’s the quarter for??” Took me a second to realize that she has no idea what a pay phone is.

I remember then with a dime...lol

• Like 4

I find it amazing that people have never seen a pay phone.  There are still some around in NYC.

How about a phone like the one pictured below?  That must look prehistoric to most millennials.   When I was a kid that's what everyone had.   The only speed dial was how quick your finger could turn the dial, but then of course you had to wait for the dial to slowly spin back before you could dial the next digit!    LOL

dreamstime_s_8075513.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The phone I used at home until 1968 did  not have a dial...You picked it up and the operator said  ' Number, Please"....I still remember a bunch of numbers from back then...My early teenage girlfriend's number was 416J.....Our home number was 242M1..

We were on a party line and all the old biddies would listen in on our calls...

When I first started dating my ex-wife, her family still had the wooden box on the wall with a mouth piece and an ear piece attached to a cord...There was crank on the side and when you made a call you would turn the crank to connect to an operator...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1